Author Topic: Steve and Senate Reform  (Read 4509 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Steve and Senate Reform
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:32:22 AM »
I saw this exchange on the news last night. What is it with the neo-con/lib smirk? Steve has it. Shrub has it.

Me, I'd like to see the Senate abolished. But Steve outright threatened them, saying there are only two options open right now to change the Senate without reopening the Constitutional debate -- these proposed reforms of Steve's or abolition.

PM demands Senate reform, 'not a report'
Updated Thu. Sep. 7 2006 11:34 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Prime Minister Stephen Harper made an unprecedented appearance Thursday before a special Senate committee examining his proposal for shortening the term of senators.

Harper wants new appointees limited to terms of eight years. Senators currently sit for as many as 45 years before being compelled to retire at 75.

There were some tense moments during Harper's appearance, and one senator compared his firm stance to a former Liberal prime minister.

Senator Jim Munson told Harper that "there are critics who believe you would like nothing better than to fight an election on the backs of the Senate."

Harper responded: "Well, don't give me the opportunity."

CTV link http://tinyurl.com/nojh8

kuri

• View Profile
Steve and Senate Reform
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:11:50 AM »
I was once in favour of a reformed senate but the debates over it on babble had the (no doubt unintended) effect of making me in favour of the status quo Senate. I think I may be the only one in Canada.  :oops: But they do good research, research that's legitimated in a way that the work of public interest groups, House of Commons Committees or government departments can't be. This has allowed the Senate to occasionally take pretty ballsy stands, on things like marijuana for example. At the same time, they're sufficiently powerless to stop good legislation from being passed, although - as we saw with gay marriage - they'll do what they can to delay it. Overall, it seems best just to leave things alone with the Senate and concentrate on things like electoral system reform that a) will have a positive effect on all Canadians and b) does not require huge, divisive constitutional talks.

HAHL

• View Profile
Steve and Senate Reform
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »
I agree. Senate Reform, if and when, constructive effective HoC reform and proportional Representation has been implemented and shown to be effective. Then we can worry about modifying the senate, which is the lesser of two evils.
Where was I when the lights went out?

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Steve and Senate Reform
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
Here's one really Bright Idea, Senator Nicole Eaton spends her time thinking about the future and Canada's symbols. She wants to replace the canadian Beaver with the majestic, noble Polar Bear, which she doesn't seem to get is on the extinct species list. :confused
It could however, place more attention on the Tar Sands and saving the polar bear.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/time-to-stuff-the-beaver-senator-pitches-polar-bear-as-national-emblem/article2216290/

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
I would support that for the very reason that, if it became Canada's symbol, maybe we would try to save it.

P.S. Coke is turning its cans white, with polar bears on it, as some sort of greenwashing promotion. I can't remember where I read that.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
So will they use the skinny, starving Polar Bears as their symbol or the cute, plump CGI ones that Coke uses in their commercials?
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Perfect.  Canada's most dangerous animal (next to humans, of course) - appropriate for our new Canadian government....gotta wonder if the urban senator has actually ever found herself up close & personal with a real live polar bear...

But-the polar bear is endangered, & it would be cool if there's a backlash against "damn the collateral damage" energy extraction if the Cons make this change.

On the upside, no more "save a tree, eat a beaver" jokes....

ETA-Antonia:  Coke has been running TV faux environmentalism polar bear ads for a while now...decent  animation, but yeah, definitely jumping on the greenwashing bandwagon....not surprised to near that polar bear cans are on the way...

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
Here is this Conservative government, supposedly about Tradition (we break out in a rousing chorus of that number, from Fiddler on the Roof...) wanting to change Canada's symbolic animal? Because beavers have buck teeth, or are a butt of double meanings?
Perhaps teen hearthrob Justin Bieber could be enlisted to "save the beaver"?

Hmm, Coke. I've worked up north, and Coke is a scourge of northern Indigenous communities. One of the nutrient-free, fast-carb "Southern" foods most accessible up there.

" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
I wonder if they're going to chuck the maple leaf flag next. Maybe they'll change the red to blue and the leaf to a fighter jet.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
Blue, never. It may be Royal and hence Tory (except, bizarrely, in the US) but it is also French. Everything is French blue here, even our métro and buses.

Yep, a fighter jet or some other, more time-hallowed, military symbol.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Tories' Senate reform reference to Supreme Court will divide country, says constitutional law professor

Mr. Mendes said Mr. Harper is engaged in “mischief-making” and is wasting the Supreme Court of Canada’s time forcing it to consider questions, particularly on Senate abolition, which are already clearly spelled out in the constitution.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:38:51 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
“We’ve never seen Mike Duffy, and he’s hard to miss,” said Morgan Eisenhaur.

:hail :stirthepot :whistle :devildance :canofworms

Check out the Guardian's video, it's very cute. http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2013-02-05/article-3171305/PEI-considers-Mike-Duffy-nonresident/1

Coz he's only a seasonal worker, hardy-har-har
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:12:35 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
“We’ve never seen Mike Duffy, and he’s hard to miss,” said Morgan Eisenhaur.
  :)) :)) :)) :))

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years, unbeknownst to his ex-wife’s father.
“I was not aware of that,” Daryl Tenasoco told CTV News.

Brazeau uses F-I-L's address to get tax exemption.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/brazeau-used-father-in-law-s-address-to-get-tax-exemption-1.1146468[/size]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:49:20 PM by Toedancer »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »
Yes, he claims to live at that reserve, next to Maniwaki, though by all accounts he really lives in Ottawa. Idle No More has been talking about this for a while. Sometimes there actually is a bit of justice, and remember it is due to the activists digging out this dirt.

And imagine, being delinquent in child support payments! That is truly lower than low.

Rosa Luxemburg

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »

Return To TAT