Author Topic: "There's something about men."  (Read 15876 times)

Papal Bull

• View Profile
"There's something about men."
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 10:21:43 AM »
Although I do love fishing, I can only take it in small doses. And I normally prefer to do it alone. It is a nice private venture I find, and those yarns now have no foil by which they can be disproven!  :evil: Gardening is, on all counts, far more superior.

Also, yeah. This whole spring-love-in-thing? I notice a serious depreciation in the spartan habits of my compatriots - I want to be outside all of the time and go play in trees or some similar activity.
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

- Samuel Taylor Colerdige

belva

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 10:33:24 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
But girls and cats are forever.   :wink:

Amen! Preach it, sister skdadl!

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
What is it about men and fishing?
Ritual and bonding, is that it?

i don't fish but i'm pretty sure the attraction is like sailing for me:

outdoors
exersise
gear
fiddlin' n' fixin'
beer

bonding?  not so much.  even though one or two of my closest friends come with me every year and i have spent a lot of time with the kids and their friends there, i sail solo a lot and thats about solitude.

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
I find fishing dull, except for one trip in northern Ontario with my granddad & cousin back when I was 10. We caught almost nothing -- a week, and just one bass big enough to bother cooking. (We scrambled it up with some eggs, and it didn't taste so hot but it was one of the best meals I've ever had anyway.) On his deathbed last year, my granddad was dictating a letter to his grandchildren, a favourite memory for each one. That fishing trip was his first memory for my cousin and me; telling it tired him out so much that he had very little left for my sisters sadly.

It has to be the bonding, right? Being out in nature in the canoe, all that, but men aren't supposed to just talk without an activity that they are ostensibly "doing". Fishing is an activity that's mostly sitting, waiting, talking, I'd guess. Personally, I'd prefer the canoe and the wilderness without the fishing, but I think of paddling as an activity too.

This is all more socialized behaviour than hormones, though, isn't it?
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »
Never been on a fishing expedition per se, but have always enjoyed a spontaneous short session starting when I was wee with my Dad or maternal Grandfather.  Used to fish with my gril friends (had a creek at the back of the property) after school when we were the 12-16 age group. One of the best gadgets of all time is the Popeil Pocket Fisherman:

CMOTDibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
Sara Robinson at the first link and at the Shakes link holds the position that perhaps biology does matter, and apparently believes that testosterone predisposes many men to search for ritual/hierarchy/conformity that she feels that liberal America has suppressed for a bent towards androgyny and seeing the differences between men and women as naught but social constructions, aside from the mechanics of birth.

We should encourage men to become faschists?  What rot.
Takes more than combat gear to make a man
Takes more than a license for a gun
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
A gentleman will walk but never run

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »
My dad fished commercially for a number of years, and my mom and I would go along during salmon season.  It was the only time our family was at peace.  The only place from which I can draw 'happy family' memories.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 01:31:32 PM »
I like fishing, though I haven't done much (non-commercial) fishing.  It was a thing with my dad - we'd go for a week every summer for most of my youth.  

Then I became a treeplanter/fishguy/always out of town in the summer, and we didn't go for 10 years.

The first year of his retirement I gave him a fly rod and some gear for his b-day, and we've tried to get out a couple of times every year.  Of course, his grandson came along around the same time, which has put a crimp in our fishing trips.

All that to say that fishing is a reasonably enjoyable way to get outside, be challenged in some not-too challenging way, and spend time with my dad.  

Sailing is also fun, and I do a lot more of it, but few in my family like it as much as I do when the wind is really blowing.  Thus the limited bonding opportunities.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »
I hate fishing. For all kindsa reasons, one of them being that I find it royally boring. And when it's not - then it's too cruel for my taste. Though I really don't have anything against people fishing, I just don't want to come along.

But what I really wanted to say/ask in this thread is: what is it with men considering that women, or a woman, is responsible for their existential well-being? Gah. That, I can really live without.

OK, I've vented.  :)  :(

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire

But what I really wanted to say/ask in this thread is: what is it with men considering that women, or a woman, is responsible for their existential well-being? Gah. That, I can really live without.

Good question.  I haven't a clue, aside from the obvious (that some people are idiots).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »
Oh, that just follows from the mechanics of reproduction.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
Oh, there was Mandos, just waiting for someone to offer a lead-in that so he could bring back the mechanics of reproduction.  :x  :wink:

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
It's one of my fave flamewar topics.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
well I like arborman's answer better. Especially the part about not having a clue, because I sure don't.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »
Oddly enough I do not think I can exaggerate the impact this had upon me. (I just found it after stashing it away some time ago.)  :D

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,

If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buccaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
Exactly in the ancient way,
Can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-- So be it and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave:
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their creations lie!

~Robert Louis Stevenson
"To the Hesitating Purchaser"

No one, save maybe my father, can say it like Robert Newton.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT