Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox and Gmail  (Read 5847 times)

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Mozilla Firefox and Gmail
« on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:05 AM »
I don't care much for MS Internet Explorer.  So when someone suggested I try Firefox, I didn't look back.  That was months ago.

All of a sudden, in the last couple of days, I can't access my gmail through Firefox any more!  I try to log in and I get an error message that reads:

"Your browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on."

Well, the bricklefritzing furshlugginer cookie functionality IS on, goddamnit!  I've tried nuking the cookies, clearing the cache and even re-installing firefox.  Nada.  And it was working just fine until a couple of days ago!  

Anyone?  RR?  Steve?  Gigi?

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:03:29 AM »
I use both Firefox and Gmail and haven't had a problem.

I know that doesn't help you.

When you uninstalled/re-installed Firefox did you really get rid of everything? I have a feeling that some folder(s) linger on and might need to be deleted manually. (I think this is what happened to me ages ago when I switched from Mozilla to Firefox)

Did you also:
Tools > Clear Private Data?

I'm just guessing in the dark here.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:16:17 AM »
clear your cache. can't guarentee but it's one of the solutions offered.

Unfortunately they mainly deal with IE

also in googling it appears comcast and google have issues and occasional deny service to one another so if you are on comcast that could be the problem.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:33:27 PM »
Did all that.  No help. :canofworms:

Finally solved the problem by running Remove Program from the Control Panel and then going into Windows Explorer and manually removing all the Mozilla-related folders and their contents to the Recycle Bin.  Then I ran the original installation program, which I'd saved to my desktop the very first time I downloaded Firefox lo these many moons ago.  Then I opened up the cookies window and added gmail to the list of websites specifically allowed to set cookies. :cookie:

So I'm running an older version of Firefox, without several months worth of updates, but at least I can access my gmail again without having to use MS IE.  Oh, how I love MS.   :rant2

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:13:21 PM »
Sometimes you still need IE, e.g. when placing a request for an interlibrary loan at the Vancouver Public Library. (For everything else Firefox is fine)

P.S. Gunnar, save your favourites ever once in a while. (I once lost them all and so did Agent204)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »
What's gmail?  Different from email?  

Yesterday my Firefox "Get mail" button quit working; that is, when I click it, it starts building an Inbox summary, instead of connecting and looking for new mail.  But when I go into the menu to tell it to get new messages, that works.  

It is possible I moved something in Windows Explorer by accident; it happens sometimes if I am playing a fast game of solitaire.  Is a Restore folder connected to the "Get mail" command?
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
I don't use the get mail, and firefox 2 doesn't have it anyway, but as far as gmail it's google's email program. I can send you an invite if you're interested.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:00:21 PM »
No, thank you; I was just curious.  I guess I need to update my Firefox; I keep putting it off.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »
Quote from: gunnar gunnarson
So I'm running an older version of Firefox, without several months worth of updates, but at least I can access my gmail again without having to use MS IE.  Oh, how I love MS.   :rant2

The more I read on that "Why I Hate Microsoft" site, the better I understand -- at long last -- why so many people, especially computer people, have such a bricklefritzing furshlugginer hate-on for MS. (I've always disliked their products, but now I too hate them and am switching away from Windows just as quickly as I can. I've already been using Firefox and Thunderbird for months).

If buddy is right -- and he seems to know his stuff -- then MS's incompetence goes far beyond just incompetence, and amounts to nothing less than an out-and-out fraud on the computer-buying public.

If you could be sentenced to hard time for pretending to know your way around a computer, Bill Gates would find himself having to borrow Yosemite Sam's striped suit and break rocks at Leavenworth, or wherever it was.

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
Quote from: Holly Stick
No, thank you

You should really look into this. (Lots of storage; email messages searchable; google talk; etc etc)

I opened my first gmail acct in 2004 and love it.

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 02:45:16 AM »
The more I read on that "Why I Hate Microsoft" site, the better I understand -- at long last -- why so many people, especially computer people, have such a bricklefritzing furshlugginer hate-on for MS. (I've always disliked their products, but now I too hate them and am switching away from Windows just as quickly as I can. I've already been using Firefox and Thunderbird for months).

If buddy is right -- and he seems to know his stuff -- then MS's incompetence goes far beyond just incompetence, and amounts to nothing less than an out-and-out fraud on the computer-buying public.

M$ hasn't done much that's been innovative since Gate's work on software for the Altair back in the 1970's.  Everything since has pretty much been about finding ways to lock people in to using "their" software instead of someone elses.

So yeah I put M$ right up there with Walmart as one of those companies I "love to hate".
Free software, Free society

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Mozilla Firefox and Gmail
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 02:10:28 AM »
So I went to answer an e-mail (from google) and was told (it was told in DRAFT) could not be sent coz :

Error

Please specify at least one recipient.
so am dumping them/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:36:36 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Bread & Roses Forum

Re: Mozilla Firefox and Gmail
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 02:10:28 AM »

Return To TAT