Author Topic: Naming conventions  (Read 24824 times)

Timebandit

• View Profile
Naming conventions
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »
Quote from: kuri
What I more couldn't get was, "How does she not understand?" "Aren't I totally obvious?" (Especially with the first name. And I paid for the freakin' washer/dryer anyway, so the credit card information would be in my real name, too.)

Not much of a saleswoman -- you were pretty clear and if she'd have been at all quick on the uptake she'd have adjusted and apologized.

When I worked in customer service for a cable company I had to phone account holders sometimes, and there often wasn't any info on spouse name...  You're kind of forced into the "Mrs whatever" situation, although I generally used Ms instead.  Very few objected to the Ms, and if there was a different surname, I always acknowledged and apologized for the mistake, then left a note attached to the account so the next person wouldn't screw it up.  I only wish some of my co-workers would have done the same.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Naming conventions
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
Heh, that would never happen in Quebec without some kind of apology. (Which reminds me: there was a recent news item in Quebec about a 20-something woman who was upset that she wasn't allowed by the govnmt to take her husband's name. Freedumb-minions predictably got all het up about that till somebody pointed out she's probably the only woman since 1983 who's upset about this.  :lol: )

When I'm at the clinic and I call people from the waiting room, I escape this problem by using the pet's name rather than the person whose name is on the file...sometimes that causes problems though, as there's often more than one Mimine or Molly in the room.

edited to remove a gratuitous comment about the news item occurring in western Ontario. Needs more context and I'm probably not the right person to give it.  :(

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Naming conventions
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 11:08:06 AM »
I forgot about the cold call telemarketers that ask for Mr. Me :-)

They only have to utter the first of my five syllable last name to give away their status.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

deBeauxOs

Naming conventions
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
I got a call a month ago asking to speak to the lady of house.  Not one to resist an opening like that, I retorted that they weren't any ladies living in my house.  :twisted:

Naming conventions
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »
:rotfl:

Quote from: fern hill
Not about names but telemarketers. I have a young woman friend in her mid-20s. Her phone voice sounds like she's about 10. When she gets a telemarketer, she says, 'My mother isn't home right now' and hangs up.

If you had said middle-aged, I woulda thought you were talking about me. I've often told them my parents aren't home. Once, when I got the letter to leave Canada, I told them I had just killed my parents, so I was getting deported.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Naming conventions
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:09 AM »
:lol:

eph, you are unsinkable.

Return To TAT