Author Topic: Airline policy: all men are potential paedophiles  (Read 7909 times)

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
Airline policy: all men are potential paedophiles
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:59:21 AM »
According to British Airways, and a few other airlines.

BA bans men sitting next to children

British Airways has been accused of treating all men passengers as potential sex offenders after it was revealed it has banned children from sitting next to male strangers - even if their parents are on the same flight.

"To my amazement, the stewardess said BA had a rule that no unaccompanied child under 16 may be seated next to an adult male stranger - even if there's a woman on the other side. "

And this brought up reference to an earlier incident, also with BA, but this time the man being moved was the father of the children.

At which the stewardess gave a gentle cough. Actually, she said, she was proposing to move me to row 52, and that was because — she lowered her voice — "We have very strict rules".

Eh? I said, by now baffled. "A man cannot sit with children," she said; and then I finally twigged. "But he's our FATHER", chimed the children. "Oh," said the stewardess, and then eyed me narrowly. "These are your children?" "Yes," I said, a bit testily. "Very sorry," she said, and wafted down the aisle — and in that single lunatic exchange you will see just about everything you need to know about our dementedly phobic and risk-averse society.

While I'm all for protecting children, I think this policy is beyond ridiculous.  I mean, they are on an airplane, for heaven's sake.  How on earth is a strange adult (of any sex) going to assult an unaccompanied minor in such cramped, uncomfortable, and very public surroundings?  Has this ever been recorded as happening?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:37:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've told this story before. It was back in the 80s when all that insane stuff was going on about Satanic cults at daycares. A man here in Toronto took his two young sons to a matinee movie. They were aged 4 and 6, something like that. At some point, the younger one got scared, so the man picked him up and held him on his lap. After the movie, there were cops waiting for them in the lobby. The children were taken away, crying and screaming, and the man was taken to a police station. Apparently, some other movie-goer, a woman, had seen the boy on his father's lap, and called the cops.

As you can imagine, the man was horrified, outraged, stunned, etc. The boys were scared, confused, etc. Everything got worked out, but it was a horrible experience.

This is what happens when busybodies are empowered by stupid rules.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:46 AM »
Actually abuse can happen right in front of people according to some stories I've heard.

However this rule is ridiculous.

I have my own busybody story. When Devon was about 6 months old she started having a crying fit just as we walked into the Valu Mart.

I took her outside to the car, we had one then, and started nursing her.

A little after we got home the phone rang. It was the police, someone had thought we had abducted her and had taken down the plate number.  :roll:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
I was sexually assaulted by a stranger in a movie theatre when I was maybe thirteen.

I was there with my sister, three years younger, who was sitting on the other side. The guy started running his hand along my leg, and because I was young and stupid and had no idea what was going on -- and worse, had been trained NEVER TO MAKE A SCENE IN PUBLIC -- I was frozen for a good few minutes, had no idea how to react.

But I finally did. I grabbed little sister by the hand and dragged her out of that aisle very quickly. She was upset because she didn't know why I had done what I did, and I never told anybody.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »
I think we all had experiences like that. Sure, I was taught not to take candy from a stranger, get in a stranger's car etc, but I've certainly been grabbed and fondled, once by a guy at a newsagent's when I was looking through magazines. And of course I felt that I was somehow in the wrong.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Codgerific

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 12:16:31 PM »
Am I being too sensitive if I say I find the thread title a touch offensive? Even a "British Airlines says" tag at the end of that sentence would mitigate that a bit.

As for the topic itself, isn't this just another example of fomenting fear of 'the other?' Kids are more likely to suffer abuse at the hands of a relative. Maybe we should split families up on planes...

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »
No problem, and I appreciate the feedback.  I was just copying the title from the aggregator I found the story on.  I'll try to figure out how to amend the title.

I would also like to add to my initial 'wtf' when reading this story, that I realize, upon refelction, that assault and abuse can occur at any time and in any location.  I have siblings that were assaulted by a cop at a scout camp, but I don't automatically trigger camping or youth camps to assault, so I need to work on being more aware of that.

But I still don't think the answer is to demonize or stigmatize a large portion of the popluation.  The airlines have gone way overboard in thier reaction to the 'terrorist threat', which at this point has almost made my eyes roll permanently back in my head, but I just don't grasp this response.  I think that, statistically, the majority of attacks on women are by men, so should we therefore resort to segregated seating in order to protect women?  How far is the police state going to go to not only protect us, but to protect the actual perpetuators of crimes from answering for their deeds?

ed:  I can't spell worth shit, but I am good at math.
and to brebis noire below:  because I can't spell, I had to take the spelling I was given.  I didn't know there was a difference, and it looked ok to me at the time. :)

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 12:33:56 PM »
SS, you shouldn't have put the 'a' in paedophile unless you specified it was British.  :wink:

But seriously, when I read that title I took it totally ironically, as we find in titles like: Anne Coulter: the Feminist Ideal, or Feminism can be cured.

And yes, it really does show how much we fear other people - and how some big corporations are very afraid of being responsible.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:45:22 PM »
Since when do we have to Americanise British spellings? ;) I tend to leave titles in English as they are written, if I'm quoting the NYTimes verbatim I don't change their spelling either.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 12:56:10 PM »
No, SS - I was just joking. I almost always use British spelling - often, it's the Canadian spelling anyways, and it is my small way of fighting USian orthographic hegemony.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Actually abuse can happen right in front of people according to some stories I've heard.

However this rule is ridiculous.

I have my own busybody story. When Devon was about 6 months old she started having a crying fit just as we walked into the Valu Mart.

I took her outside to the car, we had one then, and started nursing her.

A little after we got home the phone rang. It was the police, someone had thought we had abducted her and had taken down the plate number.  :roll:

Proof that police are no more familiar than your average person with the whole urban legend thing.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 04:24:35 PM »
What I found hilarious was they took the time to follow me to get the plate number and yet didn't seem to notice I was breastfeeding.  :lol:

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
Perhaps -- because (semi-) public breastfeeding just isn't done, you know, because it's so inappropriate -- they just failed to register it. People don't take in what they're not prepared to accept.

Or, more likely, they thought: Wow, she's really going to a lot of trouble to look like that kid's mother. Shows how fiendishly clever these child-abductors are! They'll stop at nothing -- nothing!!

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
:rotfl:

deBeauxOs

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:35:52 PM »
What!   :rant  Could the other side of this coin be that the airline or flight attendants expect that a woman, any woman really, will readily participate in this dodgy in situ parenting scheme if unaccompanied children are seated next to her?

Return To TAT