Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 10202 times)

Timebandit

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« on: December 24, 2006, 12:50:10 PM »
Wishing everybody a wonderful holiday!

I'm off to cook a couple of ducks and get the fruit and cream for the pavlova ready, and looking forward to a couple of days of good food, family, friends and no desk work.  Wild girls are completely wild with good-natured anticipation and are making me laugh every five minutes.  

Merry merry! :D
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »
Sounds like fun Timebandit. Best wishes for you and yours!

:santa2:  :snowball:  :carolers:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
banter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »
I am feeling a little down this Christmas, perhaps because my extended family is scattered all over the continent this year. For some reason this Christmas seems to be even more commercial and capitalistic than any  previous holiday I remember. The push to splurge on useless crap seems so organised with relentless ads, forced cheeriness behind which sits an almost hostile message of spend, spend, SPEND!
I was thinking of what I would like to see happen this Christmas and I would like those around me (my kids) to think kind thoughts, do kind deeds, just extend themselves with humanity towards others, hopefully it would become a habit.
I would like to take a minute today before the chaos of tomorrow to say thank-you to those here on this site who daily extend kind words and unselfish wisdom, Merry Christmas.
just picture it

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:49:25 PM »
Merry Christmas faith.

I've been feeling kind of down because it is one of our leanest christmas' but you know my kids always seem so happy with what they get compared to a number of their friends and schoolmates.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
banter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »
My youngest is now 16 Debra, and the days of my kids asking for a Christmas tree for the holiday are long gone, good memories though.
I'm hoping that as they grow out of teenage years and into young adults they will cherish the memories of human interaction instead of long forgotten gifts.
just picture it

Happy Holidays!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
I don't know if the commercial aspect of Christmas has really become more organized. It seems the same as it has for the last 3-5 years at least. Maybe it just seems that way when you have fewer family and friends around you. Try to spend lots of time with your extended family on the phone tomorrow, faith. I haven't had too many people to buy gifts for in years and years, and the emptiness of it really affected me in a strong way. This year has been different though. I haven't noticed any of the shopping frenzies and I have seen very few ads (I'm good at blocking those out of view). I haven't done any shopping. It seems more peaceful to me this year, and I'm so glad for it. We are even combining thwap's family's traditional dinner and my traditional Christmas dinner. I think that's pretty cool.

suzette

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 05:37:39 AM »
Ooh, timebandit, I just noticed you're making pavlova!  How Antipodean!  And fabulous!  What's inspired that?

The pav was an idea for our Christmas festivities, but ultimately neither my sister and I could be bothered.  So it was cold ham and turkey, prawns, salads and fruit, with pudding and ice cream later in the day.  A swim in the morning for relief from the 32° heat, and the extra gravity dragging on my belly.  Backyard cricket in the afternoon, although I was relegated to spectator due to my rotundness.  My Christmas present was feeling the twins kicking for the first time as I lay in bed last night.  Such a buzz.  Hope everyone has had an enjoyable day, and that any family tensions were minimal.  

Love to youse all. xx

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »
Merry Christmas morning, Suzette.  

And I'd like to echo   :wink:   faith's lovely message up there, to everyone who shows up here to be kind or wise or witty or usefully angry or just good friends. I owe you all so much.

oldgoat

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
Merry Christmas everybody!   :D

"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 11:07:18 AM »
Hey! Merry Christmas Oldgoat! :toast
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi, oldgoat.  

Gee. This feels just like Christmas 1914.   :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »
Hope you don't mean the beginnings of the Great War. Do remember the Christmas truce and the famous footie game...

As for me, I'm knackered from washing the bath - something one must do one one's hands and knees - although they've probably invented miniature mops that get into the little corners...

Making a paella for a couple of friends who are coming over a bit later - taking 5 minutes to check on my e-mail (nothing but spam - and the friends in Europe will write for New Year's, not Christmas). Then back to house slavery!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

GOD

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »
Merry Christmas Guys!

Oh, and happy birthday Jeebus.  (he never calls  :(   )
Sona si Latine loqueris.

oldgoat

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 11:26:32 AM »
Neither lagatta, I believe she may have been referring to our first date.
"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 11:32:29 AM »
Wow. Now that takes a big person. skdadl posted at EM to wish them merry happy etc. skdadl, you been into the likker cabinet already? :wink:

Bread & Roses Forum

Happy Holidays!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 11:32:29 AM »

Return To TAT