Author Topic: Abortion Watch Thread  (Read 163877 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Abortion Watch Thread
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
I propose a general thread to collect stories about threats to abortion rights in the US. Oddly, we can start with a 'win', or at least a cease-fire.

This made me laugh. Legislators in Idaho won't try again to write a parental consent law this session because a) previous attempts cost a bundle to defend in the courts and got tossed out anyway and b) they want to hurry up and finish so the building can get renovated.

Parental consent abortion bill unlikely

Legislative agenda full on eve of session

Associated Press
January 5, 2007

BOISE – Idaho lawmakers likely will not propose legislation to require minors to get their parents' permission to have an abortion, legislative leaders said Thursday during a forum organized by the Associated Press.

Lawmakers are already looking at a full plate of issues for the session that starts Monday, including changes to the grocery tax, a new energy plan for the state and public transit improvements. Trying to negotiate a parental consent bill – an issue that has proved legally thorny in the past – doesn't seem possible, especially if no proposals have been written yet, said House Speaker Lawerence Denney, R-Midvale.

"Before a new parental consent bill comes forward, I think that we do need to have a consensus on the language," Denney said. "In trying to keep the session short, it's not good to write legislation in committee."

Legislative leaders said they will be focused on getting their work done quickly this session to clear out of the Statehouse in time for a renovation project scheduled to start in April.

The Legislature has made several attempts – most recently last March – to pass legislation requiring girls to get their parents' permission before having an abortion. Each time the laws have been struck down by judges as unconstitutional – but not before the state spent hundreds of thousands of dollars defending them in court against challenges from Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union.

The state spent more than $350,000 on the failed defense of a 2000 parental consent abortion law against a Planned Parenthood suit. A judge ruled last April that the state must also pay Planned Parenthood's more than $380,500 legal bill.

In Idaho, a 1921 law makes it illegal for minors to have sex.

AP report

ETA: Hm. I don't think I put a sticky on this. Debra, are you gaslighting me?

Edited: I changed the title. Let's use this for watching developments outside Canada.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
yes I stickied it as you wanted it to be a continuous thread.

Gaslighting? that's a pretty serious charge missy.

This isn't from USA nya nya but thought it would be a good addition anyway.

Abortion poll shows support for easing law
ELIZABETH CARR-ELLIS IN MADRID

THEIR country has one of the most restrictive laws in Europe, but the majority of Portuguese citizens intend to back the government in its support for decriminalising abortion in a referendum next month.

In a poll for the Portuguese daily newspaper Correio da Manha, 64.1 per cent of those questioned said they would be giving a Yes vote on 11 February, although only 56 per cent of the electorate is expected to turn out.

Under Portuguese law, at least 50 per cent of registered voters must cast their ballot to make the referendum binding, giving hope to pro-life campaigners that a silent majority may still hold sway. Some 27.3 per cent of those surveyed said they would vote to uphold the current law.

The deeply Catholic country allows abortion only in cases where the woman's life is in danger, or up to the first 12 weeks of pregnancy in cases of rape or if there is some deformation of the foetus.

The referendum will ask whether abortion should be legal within the first ten weeks of pregnancy, "at the request of the woman" and "in a legal, medical establishment".

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=26462007
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »
Abortion Rights Activist Backs Edwards

By BETH FOUHY

WASHINGTON Jan 5, 2007 (AP)— Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards has won the backing of Kate Michelman, an influential abortion rights activist who served as president of the NARAL-Pro Choice America for nearly 20 years.

Michelman will serve as a senior adviser to the Edwards campaign, helping with outreach to women voters.

In an interview, Michelman said she was inspired by Edwards' commitment to women's rights and to the goal of eradicating poverty in the United States. Michelman spent time on welfare as a single mother of three.

"He has never backed down or retreated from a woman's right to choose, and he understands women's role in society. And he knows that most Americans in poverty are women and children," Michelman said.

Even with Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton poised to become the first major female presidential candidate in history, Michelman said she was unwavering in her support for Edwards.

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »
How odd. I'm at sweetie's, using his super duper computer. And it seems not to allow me to input anything after I've quoted something, as above.

I wanted to bold the last sentence there. Interesting that she would choose Edwards over Clinton, yes?

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »
Edwards is far more progressive than Clinton. His record on fighting poverty seems to be pretty solid -- at least that's what I've heard from US friends.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:04:09 AM »
I just changed the title of this (was orginally US Abortion watch) to include all developments outside Canada. Here's a link to what's happening in Australia].

Maybe we can continue here.

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
More good news from Latin America via Scientific American

January 07, 2007
Morning-after pill gaining in Latam despite church

By Hilary Burke

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Florencia Scocchera, a sassy 22-year-old waitress and trapeze artist, didn't have time for a baby. So when the condom that she and her lover used broke, she quickly took the morning-after pill.

In Buenos Aires, public hospitals offer the emergency contraception for free, no questions asked. Argentine lawmakers are pushing to extend this service nationwide.

The Mexican government has mandated the pill be distributed at public hospitals, while in Peru it is offered for free. Municipal health services in Brazil dispense the morning-after pill nationwide, although clinics can opt not to do so.

Chile's first female president, Michelle Bachelet, raised hackles last year when her government required the pill be made available at no charge to girls as young as 14.

Chile's move went far beyond measures in the United States, where after a three-year fight, regulators in August approved the sale of emergency contraception without a doctor's order, but only for women 18 and older.

Emergency contraceptives are available without a prescription in about 40 countries worldwide.

The Argentine bill pending in Congress would require health care providers to offer the morning-after pill to women for free nationwide.

Juan Hector Sylvestre Begnis, who heads the lower house's health committee, says the main purpose of the bill is to give poor women access to these contraceptives since the wealthy already buy them at pharmacies.

"This is for people who do not have money and go to public hospitals," Sylvestre Begnis said, adding that free access to the morning-after pill could benefit about 200,000 Argentine women a year.

"If this pill were used properly, it would prevent many unwanted pregnancies without causing conflict over the polemical issue of abortion."

If people truly want fewer abortions, this is obviously the way to go about it.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »
If this is off topic, please just go on with the discussion. It brings together several threads and so may not be specific to any.

I listen to Air America while computerizing   :D  - Al Frankin mentioned this ...so I googled for a while and found this from the Washington Post. It is about the good people trying to bring some civilization to the 5,000 year old culture in Iraq.

To pass muster with O'Beirne, a political appointee who screens prospective political appointees for Defense Department posts, applicants didn't need to be experts in the Middle East or in post-conflict reconstruction. What seemed most important was loyalty to the Bush administration.

O'Beirne's staff posed blunt questions to some candidates about domestic politics: Did you vote for George W. Bush in 2000? Do you support the way the president is fighting the war on terror? Two people who sought jobs with the U.S. occupation authority said they were even asked their views on Roe v. Wade .

I guess here is the fulfillment of a steriotype: Oppose any kind of reproductive choice = support George Bush = get government work = do not bother with the sticky process of a moral choice.

The equal sign means the same thing here as in an equasion - two things that are equal to the same thing are equal to one another.

Poor pogge .... I guess he did not know this when he observes:
Who promised you democracy would be easy?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

kuri

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:36:55 PM »
Via BlogHer:

Planned Parenthood learned this morning that anti-choice hardliner Del. Bob Marshall (R-13) is introducing an abortion ban during the 2007 General Assembly session, which starts tomorrow. House Bill 2124 states that if and when Roe v. Wade is overturned, Virginia would return to the laws on its books pre-Roe. What does this mean?? It means that performing an abortion would be a criminal offense in Virginia, punishable by law.

Planned Parenthood

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 07:02:50 AM »
'The Hyde Campaign: 30 Years Is Enough'. While there's reason for hope, it seems there is more hope and more progress at the state level. Pelosi does not have this on her agenda.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/46446/

New Hope For a Woman's Right to Choose
By Allison Stevens, Women's eNews. Posted January 10, 2007.

The Hyde Amendment has prevented federal funding of abortion services to low-income women for three decades. Now that its namesake has left Congress, pro-choicers are campaigning to dismantle it.

As the new members of the 110th Congress took the oath of office Thursday, pro-choice groups saw reason to hope.

Not only will a party more friendly to reproductive privacy control Congress, Thursday's swearing-in ceremonies also meant the official end of the long political career of Rep. Henry Hyde, 82, a Republican from Chicago's northwest suburbs who has carried the legislative torch for the anti-choice movement for more than three decades.

To mark Hyde's retirement, a coalition of pro-choice groups teamed up in October to launch "The Hyde Campaign: 30 Years is Enough," a public relations effort designed to raise awareness about the effects of the 1976 Hyde Amendment, which bars the federal government from funding abortion through Medicaid. The campaign aims to pressure state and federal lawmakers to repeal the public-funding ban.

In 1976 Hyde spearheaded the "Hyde Amendment," which inspired later laws that expanded the funding ban to additional federal health care programs. Collectively, those laws affect female members of the military and their families, Peace Corps volunteers, federal prisoners, Native Americans, women who receive federal disability payments and some federal employees through restrictions on their health coverage.

The Hyde Amendment has been attached to an annual appropriations bill every year since it was first signed into law and has never been defeated. The current version of the measure makes exceptions for victims of rape and incest and for those whose life is in danger from a physical condition.

The Hyde Amendment survived a court challenge in 1980, when the Supreme Court ruled in Harris v. McRae that federal and state governments are not obligated to provide funds for abortion services.

In the three decades since passage of the Hyde Amendment, between 18 and 35 percent of Medicaid-eligible women who would have had abortions if funding had been available instead carried their pregnancies to term, according to Ipas, an abortion rights group in Chapel Hill, N.C.

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 08:30:28 AM »
From the International Herald Tribune

I like what he says about abortion rights for men. Sign me up for the crusade, doc.

Abortion doctor: More crusaders needed in fight for women's rights

The Associated PressPublished: January 12, 2007

BELLEVUE, Nebraska: Dr. LeRoy Carhart is entrenched in what he calls a "never-ending battle" — one that abortion foes would like him to surrender.

For now, his battleground is the U.S. Supreme Court. A victory there would overturn a 2003 congressional ban on what abortion opponents call partial-birth abortion and add to the Nebraska doctor's success in his campaign for women's reproductive rights.

"The only way women come close to achieving equality is if they can control their fertility," said the 65-year-old Carhart. "Abortion rights for men have been available since the beginning of time. When they're unhappy with a pregnancy, they walk away; it doesn't matter whether it's the day after conception or when the child is 10 years old."

The Supreme Court heard arguments in Carhart's case in November and is expected to rule by early summer.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
MANAGUA (Reuters Life!) - Human rights activists in Nicaragua on Monday asked the Supreme Court to block a controversial law that bans abortions for rape victims and women who risk dying in childbirth.

They urged the Central American nation's top court to declare the law, which was passed in October and went into effect last year, as unconstitutional on grounds it violates "fundamental rights and principles."

link
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »
Hey, Debra. Great sig line.I just noticed it.

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
Good overview of the state of play in the US. AP report

Annual anti-abortion rallies occurring in climate transformed by election

ASSOCIATED PRESS

1:51 p.m. January 19, 2007

NEW YORK – Anti-abortion activists are girding for their annual marches and rallies marking the anniversary of the court decision legalizing abortion, in a political climate transformed by elections that empowered their abortion-rights adversaries.

In contrast to recent years, when participants at the March for Life in Washington urged the Republican-controlled Congress to expand fetal rights and restrict abortions, activists are now discussing defensive strategies in the face of the Democratic takeover.

“Christ said we must be as clever as serpents and harmless as doves,” said the Rev. Rob Schenck, president of the conservative National Clergy Council. “With pro-choice leaders in the House and Senate, we may need to be downright snaky.”

Schenck is helping organize an anti-abortion worship service at a Senate office building just before Monday's March for Life, which will mark the 34th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision establishing a nationwide right to abortion.

Events elsewhere include a Walk for Life in San Francisco and a protest in Wichita, Kan., targeting a clinic where late-term abortions are performed. Abortion-rights activists also will be energized, holding a vigil at the U.S. Supreme Court and presenting political leaders with a petition signed by thousands of women declaring they had abortions.

“I feel the wind is at our back, for the first time in years,” said Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority Foundation and a driving force behind Ms. magazine's “I had an Abortion” petition drive.

fern hill

• View Profile
Abortion Watch Thread
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »
New York Times on Post-Abortion Syndrome.

This infuriates me. The compulsory pregnancy gang are using frail, fucked-up women to advance their agenda.

Because of this knowledge, she is now equally certain, she slipped into years of depression, drinking and freebasing cocaine. One night when she was in her early 30s, she got as high as she could, lay down in the dark in a bathtub filled with water and slit her wrists. In her mind, all of her troubles — the drugs, the suicide attempt, the third and fourth abortions she went on to have, the wrestling match of a marriage she eventually entered — are the aftermath of her own original sin, the 1973 abortion. It’s a pattern she sees reflected everywhere: “In America we have a big drug problem, and we don’t realize it’s because of abortion.”

The poor woman may be sincere. But clearly abortion did NOT cause her problems. Now she 'ministers' to women in prison who have had abortions and who are encouraged to attribute all their problems to the abortion(s). This is called 'abortion recovery'. Their guilt, bad luck, bad decisions are being used to hurt them further. They are being manipulated, lied to, and exploited. And they're made to feel bad, too.

The long NYT article is titled 'Is there a post-abortion syndrome?' and the writer goes on to provide a lot of evidence that there is no such thing. I wish it had been called 'The bullshit of the so-called post-abortion syndrome'. (Thanks to kuri for the link in the National Sanctity of Life Day thread.)

This bullshit is here too. The tragedy of abortion, etfuckingcetera. Be alert to it. Call everyone on it. Do not let them get away with this 'abortion hurts women' shit.

Return To TAT