Author Topic: Politics and the Environment  (Read 3695 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Politics and the Environment
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
According to a Decima poll the environment is running first in peoples minds.

Without a doubt it is something we are decades behind working on.

However, much of what needs to be done involves working with and listening to scientists.

Also it is easy to convince people that you are working on the problem by throwing out a lot of nonsense about green credits and tapering emissions and lots of blah blah that most voters wouldn't begin to understand.

I wonder first how the conservative government will spin their total turn around, also as social conservatives they haven't in the past shown to be interested or convinced by science.

I wonder to how the public will respond to the various platforms and if any of it will make a difference  or if people will still vote either according to form or as a punishment vote.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
Well its all totally bizarre for me. The NDP and the GREEN have a similar platform environmentally. I don't see any kind of co-operation happening.
But I do hope the ndp does mention that May had something to say, with Fraser backing, regarding the phoney health care 2 tier thingy. That seems obvious to me. Green-backs-private health care-shit go with it ndp.

But I guess I am really looking to the ndp as having moral courage to do something, anything to do with some moral courage and words and deeds and shit like that.

The nuances and voters with gut will be thinking about this. My vote is in the air, and if they don't realize that, then it is Indie for me.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:48:17 AM »
If you look at the Green's platform, you'll see that alot of it depends on providing incentives for corporations to behave properly. That in itself has me worried.

I'm also bothered by the fact that a more holistic approach to environmental issues is not being adopted by any party. Agriculture plays a huge role as does forestry and mining. It's not just greenhouse emissions that are wreaking havoc. Soil erosion has been and continues to be a huge problem. There is also the issue of fisheries. Our planet is truly being f*cked over and we need an all encompassing approach to dealing with the environment. This includes a ban on GMO foods in my opinion as well as a push to reintroduce indigenous seeds and farming and protecting river based livelihoods throughout the world.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:44:04 PM »
If you look at the Green's platform, you'll see that alot of it depends on providing incentives for corporations to behave properly. That in itself has me worried.

Elizabeth May has some credibility as an environmentalist and I thought we might see some slight shifts from the Mike ... I mean "Jim" Harris days.  But it's pretty clear that's not on.

Soil erosion has been and continues to be a huge problem. There is also the issue of fisheries. Our planet is truly being f*cked over and we need an all encompassing approach to dealing with the environment. This includes a ban on GMO foods in my opinion as well as a push to reintroduce indigenous seeds and farming and protecting river based livelihoods throughout the world.

Agreed.   We're into another trade dispute with the U.S. over agricultural subsidies.    The U.S. having the most heavily subsidized agriculture in the world.

Trying to match the U.S. (and the EU) on subsidies is a battle we'll never ever win and given the track record the U.S. will just ignore any trade rulings that go against it.

So I think the future of Canadian agriculture is going completely organic and GMO-free.    That's something the U.S. will never do.
Free software, Free society

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »
Another reason not to vote for the Green Party.  They wish to induce/reduce people to turn out the lights whilst having sex.  

You've heard of green cars, green tourism and green weddings. Now Canadians should ready themselves for green sex.

Camille Labchuk, speaking on behalf of the Green Party of Canada, gives the movement two green thumbs-up.

"The general concern for trying to live lightly on our planet has transferred into all areas of people's lives," says Labchuk, the Green party's press secretary. "So, even though what goes on in our bedrooms as a nation is somewhat hidden, we know that's somewhere people want to green-up."

There's *correct* and then there's correct.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:31:57 AM »
I wish politicians would concern themselves with the serious political, social and environmental concerns and stay the fucking hell out of peoples reproductive lives.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toby Fourre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »
Quote from: radiorahim
So I think the future of Canadian agriculture is going completely organic and GMO-free.    That's something the U.S. will never do.

That's something the US will not allow Canada to do.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Politics and the Environment
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
FishyLeaks - http://www.superheroes4salmon.org/blog/canadian-cover-infectious-salmon-virus-leaked-report-reveals-over-100-positive-isa-cases-farmed

Canadian Cover-Up on Infectious Salmon Virus - Leaked report reveals over 100 positive ISA cases in farmed and wild salmon
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
When the Minister of Natural Resources (Joe Oliver) and the Minister of the Environment (Peter Kent) are both doing nothing but promoting tar sands investment, then I think serious questions need to be asked.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
David Suzuki completely eviscerated Prime Minister Harper on the environment/tar sands on "Power and Politics" today. Suzuki is a national treasure - Harper is pond scum.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Suzuki said Canada has never participated in a referendum to base our entire economy on one industry - the tar sands.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
Suzuki also said Alberta can develop the hell out of the tar sands if it wants - just keep the environmental effects - air, water, and land pollution confined to Alberta as well.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
CBC is reporting that the RCMP says "radical environmentalism" is on the rise. No kidding! What would they expect with Harper as our Prime Minister and killing off environmental protections???  :annoyed

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
That's one of those things the RCMP says on occasion without having to back up its assertions.  What the RCMP, a dysfunctional institutionalized conservative paramilitary force, defines as 'radical' might be very different than what your typical rational human might think.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Indeed and the real environmentalists tell us us we are 'adapting'. And we are, rather different from evolving.

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

Return To TAT