Author Topic: Workers' Comp should cover all workers: NDP  (Read 9366 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Workers' Comp should cover all workers: NDP
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Jill Hutcheson being paid by both Minister of Labour and WSIB

DoubleTrouble
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:08 AM »
Those figures just make me feel ill. And angry, of course.  :rant:

But hey -- that conflict-of-interest commish -- that's my old friend Sidney Linden, of the Ipperwash inquiry. I like him. Go, Sidney.  :applause:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
There is an update with comments from Hudak and Kormos and Sid Ryan.

"It's cheap pettifoggery." "It's weird." and "frankly shady."  :lol:

Glad to hear you have confidence in Linden skdadl. Those statements from yesterday were so benign, so much milk toast, as if the WSIB is such a sacred cow, disclosing governance to the public, well I say! And if the external guy within wsib says 'he's aware it happens', well then he should disclose that too for what he calls 'simplicity's sake'.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
Linden is a very smart old fox, imho. He will speak very judiciously in public (he's a judge, so he can't help that), but he knows what he's doing. I mean, he has sent up the alarm.

He can't be getting any younger, unfortunately. But then, who among us is?

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
Yes Linden is the guy who can 'follow the money', I like him already too.

I was speaking of the board's acting director of external affairs, Brian Buchan, who said the milk toast, sacred cow things such as "It's ministry of finance rules," Buchan said of the arrangement. "We were following the guide." and "I'm speculating but we might have said that for simplicity's sake," Buchan said. and "Its not unheard of," Buchan said. "I wouldn't say it was common but there are instances I'm aware of."

He sounds like a politico, not a crown employee.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
Parking. But omg, the total subversion of fairness and equity is gone, just gone! The WSIB panel was subverted by Magna's big swinging dicks.

WSIB panel sends cancer victim home empty handed

This guy is going to die broke and his family has no say in it. *spit*

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
Canada Disregards NAFTA Public Disclosure Law

The Canadian National Administration Office (NAO) failed to release a public report 120 days after review of Public Communication CAN 2008 1 on labour law matters in the state of North Carolina, USA as required by law. The public communication process under the NAALC allows citizens to voice their concerns to governments about labour law matters arising in the territory of another party, and provides a formal channel for governments to review these concerns. CAN 2008-1 alleges that the United States has failed to meet its obligations under NAFTA surrounding several labour issues including "compensation in cases of occupational injuries and illnesses". The Canadian government is failing to make this report public in order to evade scrutiny of its own dismal record on workers compensation.

eta - The Federal Government of Canada is under international treaty obligation to ensure that workers compensation is being provided to Canadian workers. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) stipulates* that the signatory countries must uphold "high labor standards" and includes in this, "compensation in cases of occupational injuries and illnesses" *under its side agreement NAALC, the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation)   Be concerned that the Canadian government is failing to make this report public in order to evade scrutiny of its own dismal record on workers compensation.

eta 2 - NAALC

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »
This Annual Report in pdf is the first of its kind for Disabled Workers in Ontario. It would be wise for the uninjured to take a gander in order to understand why their and their family/friends safety is so very important in your every day jobs. The financial report will tell you why, is is very grim. Full of charts, pies and stats. I haven't checked if there is a French version. Altho the research worked with small numbers of participants I guarantee you they are representative of disabled workers throughout Ontario.

This report was prepared for the Thunder Bay & District Injured Workers’ Support Group over 2007
and early 2008, and was researched and written by Karli Brotchie and Becky Casey.
A special thank you to our funder, KAIROS, and to the Lutheran Community Care, the Shelter
House, the John Howard Society and the Street Reach Ministries for their support and assistance.
This report was possible due to the help of many individuals. Thank you to research facilitators,
Mark Rantala and Danielle McLean. The input from Dr. Liu of the Lakehead University Sociology
Department was greatly appreciated.
Lastly thank you to the participants who graciously shared their experiences with us.

http://www.injuredworkersonline.org/Doc ... 200708.pdf

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:08 AM »
This is fun, compliments of the Chair of WSIB. There was an article in the Timmins paper here: http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisp ... ?e=1291020

I had great fun comparing Mahoney's numbers with the Reports. They didn't jive, not even close.

The numbers. 100 deaths a year, that jives with the WSIB 2007 annual report. Mahoney doesn't mention in this article the 279 occupational disease deaths. Actual total is 379 workplace deaths. 1st discrepancy. Then I checked the total the 2007 Allowed total injuries, lost time and no lost time was 252,985.
http://www.wsib.on.ca/wsib/wsibsite.nsf ... Statistics

Yet according to Mahoney in this article there were 360,000 claims per year. That's a difference of around 107,000. Around, I did not get persnickety. WTF? Why the discrepancy?

But then I did get persnickety because Mahoney says there were (so far) 66 deaths on the worksite/place. Which just does not jive with the Monthly Monitor which is put out by WSIB itself!  http://www.whsc.on.ca/pubs/enews_arch_i ... =5&eniss=5

Why the discrepancy of the WSIB's own figures? Is it 66 or 244? Are 66 from workplace injuries and 178 are Occupational Disease? If so, that is simply astonishing.

Then there is the Taxpayer Shit he spouts. Does anyone actually believe the taxpayers are on the hook for $15 billion he refers to? So I reminded him he is misleading innocent citizens about that. From the article which did no fact checking: Employers across Ontario pay $15 billion annually to the WSIB with employers in the Timmins paying roughly $17 million into that fund. Well Mahoney wants the public to believe Taxpayers pay for compensation, in one statement he says:
While Timmins has scored well on WSIB audits, "in the 80-per-cent range," Mahoney said this improvements would result in reduced fees and cost savings to taxpayers

OMG how ridic that is. Mahoney has a history btw of telling Taxpayers they are on the hook for grievous workplace disablement. He did it in Kenora last year, to much fighting back and forth with people who saw the discreprencies. And btw it wasn't your poli's that pointed it out. It was disabled workers groups that did it with the help of OFL.

Taxpayers don't have a clue.

And so I shall say again WSIB is an insurance company, with all dues from Employers. In exchange for not suing the employer by the employee as stated in the Meredith Principles which no longer have any value. One high-profile WSIB prosecution involved retail giant Wal-Mart. In 2005, it pleaded guilty to 25 counts of failing to report an injury, and was fined $500,000. The company said some store managers tried to report injuries but used the wrong fax number, and it has improved its reporting system.

It is impossible to tell if these cases of non-reporting shed only a sliver of light on the problem or if government inspectors are catching all offenders. There are millions of workers in Ontario covered by the WSIB - from grocers to autoworkers to temps. The WSIB has 19 inspectors to complement the ministry of labour's 430 - that's about 450 to patrol the 230,000 companies covered by the WSIB.

Those quotes come from David Bruser's coverage in the Star http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/451322

WSIB is in denial, can't admit the Crown Agency is poorly mismanaged, no matter who is appointed to run it. The stats prove it themselves.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40:48 AM »
WOW TD, that shows evidence of a lot of hard work and research on your part.

If that 'report' is being published somewhere in the press, can you send your 'corrected' figures there?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:26 AM »
There will be NO correction, there will be no anything. And there wasn't any research involved, Crogie, just the usual.

But check this out, I'm sure I mentioned in this thread that Jilly was getting paid by both the WSIB and the MoL, right?

The Lavish Spending Continues

Jill Hutcheon, president and CEO of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and a deputy minister at Queen's Park, is charging taxpayers for gas and grocery bills at the cottage, car detailing and ritzy hotels, they said Thursday in the legislature.

We'll get answers on Thursday? No we won't, I can guarantee that.
As can be seen, no mention, anywhere, of disabled workers or their expense amounts; he only speaks of the comparisons between Ms. Hutcheon and those members of society that the Conservatives deem worthy. Goes a long way towards explaining the long history of government indifference to the plight of disabled workers, no? Who knows what the Chair of wsib actually earns, since his salary is no longer disclosed on Crown employees making morethan $100,000 or whatever it is. I mean how much does he make @ http://mahoneyinternational.ca/

But this is about Jilly right? Oh and Ontario nurses Speak up about safety guidelines

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »
Bravo to the Chronicle Herald, to Dan Leger!! and Justice Warner!!  :hug:  :geezera:

The original FOI and the stunning stalling tactics of Nova Scotia's WCB

What The Judge Said

The Names Must Be Released for public knowledge

Now if only the Star had the guts to do that for Ontario. Deep Pockets is the only challenge to those bastards! I'd sure like to get my hands on the statements made by the Can. Man. & Exporters.
It’s not yet known whether either the compensation board or the Nova Scotia branch of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, which intervened in the case, will appeal the ruling.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
Suicide now compensable in Ontario But only if can prove a sufficient chain of causation  established ala th Nevada Decision which has implications for Canada.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »
CLC strong statement for National Day of Mourning/Is Today the day you die at work?

International Day of Mourning 2009

Another Day of Mourning has crept upon us and nothing has really changed since last year. In 2007, according to the latest report from the Association of Workers' Compensation Boards of Canada, 1,055 people lost their lives at work. That's four people every work day in the peaceful pursuit of a living. Dead because their workplace was not safe. Four people every day who did not come home again. Over the last decade, the number of Canadians who die every year because of workplace accident has been steadily growing. In 1998, the number stood at 809. In 2005, the number was 35.5% higher. Why is this being allowed to continue? Why are employers not being called to account?

Governments and Employers possess the knowledge and resources to eliminate workplace hazards. They know which workplace chemicals cause cancer. They know which workplace processes cause musculoskeletal injuries. Surely at this point in our development coming home alive and uninjured is a reasonable expectation. In Ontario for 2008, there were 317,031 reported claims to WSIB for injuries and occupational disease and 488 reported fatality claims in Ontario. That works out to 1.3 deaths per day in Ontario alone. As appalling as these numbers are, the real picture is even worse, given the numbers of occupational disease cases which go unreported and unrecognized by workers compensation.

The WSIB is reporting the recognized fatalities due to recognized fatal accidents and recognized fatalities due to industrial diseases. The workers’ health and safety center reports work-related deaths that are both recognized by the Board and unrecognized.The discrepancy mostly comes about due to workplace deaths and deaths due to industrial diseases that are not recognized by the Board as being compensable. Some of the discrepancies may come from death in non-covered employment. A few years ago a bank-teller in Brampton was killed during a bank robbery; because banks are not covered industries that accident was not a compensable death whereas it was definitely work-related. These would explain a small amount of the deaths The big discrepancy comes from the unrecognized industrial disease claims that result in death. It is part of the sad history of the WSIB that continues to this day, that the WSIB does not recognize huge chunks of the industrial cancers that kill many workers. If I have done my math right, the board has refused to recognize about 35% of the industrial disease claims. While this is a vast improvement from 20 years ago, the Board still has a long way to go.

Canadian workplaces are consistently among the worst offenders for killing workers compared to most other industrialized countries. Out of 29 countries that belong to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Canada has the fifth highest incident rate of worker fatalities, trailing Korea, Mexico, Portugal and Turkey. The International Labour Organization (ILO) has ranked Canada fourth-worst in the world for violence in the workplace. And when we are seriously injured at the workplace the depraved indifference demonstrated to workers and families by the WCB's across Canada is unconscionable, unethical, unreasonable, unprincipled and outdated. So why do our pleas to stop this carnage fall on our governments deaf ears?

Nothing less than reform and an independent review to compel businesses and governments to admit they've drifted far away from WCB's original intent will do OR give us back the Right to Sue!

Mourn for the Dead, Fight for the Living and Justice for All. Our kids and family members, our co-workers, our friends and neighbours are depending on it!

In Solidarity, Me

oops eta - forgot the Protect workers' rights

How we treat people in difficult times says a lot more about us than what we do during the boom times. It should concern us all if the recession is being used to show vulnerable workers the door.

eta #2 - oh look, NUPGE wants Special Prosecutors

And look at the dif between fed and prov philosophies -

The Federal Workers' Compensation says:

Despite everyone’s best efforts, accidents can happen in any workplace.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/worke ... ndex.shtml

while Ontario's WSIB says:

The WSIB is implementing key strategic initiatives to help us achieve the goal of zero and embed in all Ontarians a clear understanding and belief that there really are no accidents.
http://www.prevent-it.ca/index.php?q=le ... ad-to-zero

April 28, 2009

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »

Return To TAT