Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 1285613 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What are you doing?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:28:44 AM »
Venting to the outside is the only correct way to exhaust a dryer, says Isaacson. Products that allow electric dryers to vent inside a house pump out gallons of excess moisture, which can lead to sweating windows, peeling paint, mold growth, and wood decay.

I also found a link that said that venting a gas dryer into the house results in dangerous carbon monoxcide levels.

Now if they could find a way for the cold air not to be able to come in through the vent!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 09:39:14 AM »
I cleared all my cookies last night. So I've been hunting thru my password address book all the morning long. Then I went to see the geese. Fantastic childcare they have. One adult for each gosling, which have now got all their distinctive marks and have picked up on their moms nasty rushing you behaviour.

And best of all, I have a brand new WSIB file to go through page by page. I can't wait. It is as thick or thicker than a Toronto telephone book, yes thicker I just looked at it.  May sound nutty, but I cannot wait to read every word. I'm meeting with the lawyer soon, and I want to know it, own it, before I pass it over to him. I'm salivating. Victory is going to be so sweet.

Then I'm going to repot some big tomato plants.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 10:00:48 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Boom Boom, don't quote me, but I was told once by a neighbour who is a scientist that the problem with clothes dryers is ozone. That's why we need to vent them, apparently. I was thinking, like you, that it was a fuss and a waste, but he said that venting ozone into the house is dangerous.

What ozone? It's an electric dryer, so the exhaust is just hot air and moisture, right?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 10:09:10 AM »
Quote from: Debra
Venting to the outside is the only correct way to exhaust a dryer, says Isaacson. Products that allow electric dryers to vent inside a house pump out gallons of excess moisture, which can lead to sweating windows, peeling paint, mold growth, and wood decay.

Well, maybe if the electric dryer was used quite often. I've  used it for at the most four hours in a week. Nobody on the coast uses natural gas dryers because there's no natural gas. When I vented my dryer indoors (in northern Ontario) I noticed nothing but additional heating. Didn't notice any additional moisture in the house whatsoever - it was a really dry house to begin with. If I can find the proper lint (and other) filter for the dryer exhaust pipe, I'm re-routing it inside. The new place is really dry and also difficult to heat - every little bit helps, is my opinion. Unless I see something more definitive on why I shouldn't.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
What are you doing?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »
The printer is really fast! Like, I mean, zippety-doo-dah!

It makes its labouring noises afterwards, not before.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What are you doing?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
you can get filters for inside venting. And yes if you aren't doing family sized loads there likely isn't that big a problem.

I can't find one online but I know their out there.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
I've just been reading material from window and door manufacturers about humidity in the house. Aparently there only is a problem with excessive humidty when modern airtight windows and doors are used. Because here on the coast we burn wood as our main heating source, it's highly dangerous for any house to be airtight. There has to be air sources otherwise the carbon monoxide from the burning wood would kill. At least one window in the house has to be open at least a half inch when a fire is going. All the houses on the coast I've seen have substantial ventilation, and this is one reason why humidity inside the house is never a problem here. I would only reroute the dryer exhaust inside the house if I can find the proper filter, which I haven't yet. I'm going to continue reading up on this. :)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »
Quote from: Debra
you can get filters for inside venting. And yes if you aren't doing family sized loads there likely isn't that big a problem.

I can't find one online but I know their out there.

I know the filters are available because I saw one in a catalogue probably five years ago. Haven't seen one since. Wish I brought one back then!

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 11:04:40 AM »
I just talked to a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who want to deliver me.

Would you like me delivered?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What are you doing?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 11:06:49 AM »
Sure I'll put on the coffee! Can you bring the biscuits?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
What are you doing?
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
Tell 'em you'll consider it, if they deliver you cigarettes.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »
I can! Yesterday, in a panic because The Genius was coming to hook up the printer and I had No Nibblies prepared, I bought (forgive me) some commercial cookies that are really quite nice. I think they're called Coffee Breaks or something like that -- spicey, with raisins. Probably full of trans fats, but I've got lots!

Nikita

• View Profile
What are you doing?
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
:shock:

Sweet christ.  I discovered this morning that the dryer in my new house isn't connected at all to the vent pipe.  I found this out because I got up early and put a large load of towels into the dryer and when I went to retrieve them the basement was a sweaty, smelly, humid awful jungle-type thing.  That's when I started looking for a problem and discovered the white vent pipe laying useless behind the machine.  I've been living like this for two months!  Who knows how much ozone and carbon monoxide I've been soaking up.  

This is the kind of thing that sets my anxiety off.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What are you doing?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 11:18:53 AM »
get rid of the white thingy right away. They trap the lint and are awful fire hazards.

Straight duct style piping(best) or slightly bendable aluminium is the better choice.

Bread & Roses Forum

What are you doing?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 11:18:53 AM »

Return To TAT