Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 90678 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Facebook
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
So I deleted my Facebook account. There are people I seem to only see there but I can't continue to be part of an organization that is so blatantly misogynist.

So check this out - http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/op-ed/doesn+Elizabeth+just+join+Liberals/8166446/story.html
I chimed in as you can see so I could demonstrate this violation. Notice it says beside my fake name, AGE 60. I have never given FB my birthdate, not ever. So how tf does fb know how old I am?

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
Making the rounds on Facebook  today:

Facebook Finally Agrees to Block Photos That Celebrate Rape

Not nearly enough, but at least it's a start. Facebook has a hell of a long way to go to clean itself up.

ETA: This is what got them moving:

13 Companies Drop Facebook Advertising Over Domestic Violence Content

UPDATE: Since Tuesday morning, two additional companies have disassociated from Facebook advertising, bringing the total to 15. Find the full list here.

ETA: The stories just keep coming....

Facebook gives way to campaign against hate speech on its pages

Facebook has bowed to an outcry over content promoting violence against women after advertisers pulled ads in protest.

The company said on Tuesday it would update its policies on hate speech, increase accountability of content creators and train staff to be more responsive to complaints, marking a victory for women's rights activists. "We need to do better – and we will," it said in a statement.

The climbdown followed a week-long campaign by Women, Action and the Media, the Everyday Sexism Project and the activist Soraya Chemaly to remove supposedly humorous content endorsing rape and domestic violence.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:25:46 AM by Boom Boom »

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »
woohoo!!!  :applause

Maybe I can go back now. It does bother me though that individual men and women had no power but hit 'em in the pocketbook and oh oh ya well shit we're sorry....  :annoyed
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
Well, like I wrote, Facebook has a long way to go to clean itself up - it's just a start.

Personally, because I don't have a lot of Facebook friends, and I check them carefully, I very rarely see the worse of Facebook on my daily feed.

Anyone going back to Facebook  needs to screen out their friends - click on their profiles before adding them, and that likely will prevent you from the worse of Facebook, as long as you don't add creepy characters.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:51:35 AM by Boom Boom »

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #409 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
OH I had such careful privacy settings I don't think anyone ever saw my posts  :p  at least it seemed that way.

But I would read things all the time requesting people complain about certain groups and would always take part and Facebook always came back with this doesnt violate our terms.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »
I've been reading posts - for a while now -  saying Facebook privacy settings are a joke. They need to be drastically improved.

The current debate is the posting of anti-women violence; Facebook is promising to make changes, but it remains to be seen if these will amount to anything.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:26:20 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #412 on: August 22, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »
wow. I stand by my decision to leave facebook. What a prig.  :mad2

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »
Radiorihm at babble says there's an alternative to FB, I'll have to check it out soon.

Problem is, virtually everyone I know is on FB, including the entire community where I live.

ETA: Oh, and I suspect FB's privacy settings are still a joke.

ETA: Was it Marshall McLuhan who said "he who controls the medium controls the message"?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:27:40 AM by Boom Boom »

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #414 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Boom Boom, I've never joined Faceplant or anything like it but I'm thinking of giving these guys a try.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
Boom Boom, I've never joined Faceplant or anything like it but I'm thinking of giving these guys a try.

A friend of mine will try out all the FB alternatives and get back to me. :)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #416 on: August 22, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Getting people to migrate to a new site might be difficult but that PRSM place looks good. Never liked Zuckerberg or the other guys that created Pay Pal and Ebay. I remember seeing a flow chart, possibly close to a decade ago, that showed the inter-relationship between all these tech whiz kid founders and the NSA.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #417 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
LOL! I clicked through the site, Alison. Very well done. :)) :applause
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #417 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »

Return To TAT