Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 24662 times)

steffie

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
I resemble that remark, Debra.  :?  :wink:
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
This day in history
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
Today is also the birthday of A.Hitler and my sister. Heil sis!

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 06:12:52 PM »
Oh dear Hitler's birthday

I have friends in Bavaria on the Austrian border who live halfway between the birthplaces of Der Fuhrer and ... Pope Ratzi!

Springtime for Hitler (from "The Producers")

CHORUS:
Germany was having trouble
What a sad, sad story
Needed a new leader to restore
Its former glory
Where, oh, where was he?
Where could that man be?
We looked around and then we found
The man for you and me

LEAD TENOR STORMTROOPER:
And now it's...
Springtime for Hitler and Germany
Deutschland is happy and gay!
We're marching to a faster pace
Look out, here comes the master race!
Rhineland's a fine land once more!
Watch out, Europe
We're going on tour!
Springtime for Hitler and Germany...

CHORUS:
Look, it's springtime

LEAD TENOR STORMTROOPER:
Winter for Poland and France

CHORUS AND STORMTROOPER:
Springtime for Hitler and Germany!

CHORUS:
Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!

STORMTROOPER:
Come on, Germans
Go into your dance!

STORMTROOPER "ROLF":
I was born in Dusseldorf und that is why they call me Rolf.

STORMTROOPER "MEL":
Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!

ULLA:
The Fuhrer is coming, the Fuhrer is coming, the Fuhrer is coming!

STORMTROOPER #1:
Heil Hitler!

STORMTROOPER #2:
Heil Hitler!

LEAD TENOR STORMTROOPER:
Heil Hitler!

ALL:
Heil Hitler!

ROGER:
Heil myself
Heil to me
I'm the kraut
Who's out to change our history
Heil myself
Raise your hand
There's no greater
Dictator in the land!
Everything I do, I do for you!

CHORUS:
Yes, you do!

ROGER:
If you're looking for a war, here's World War Two!
Heil myself
Raise your beer

CHORUS:
Jawohl!

ROGER:
Ev'ry hotsy-totsy Nazi stand and cheer

CHORUS:
Hooray!
Ev'ry hotsy-totsy Nazi...

ROGER:
Heil myself!

CHORUS:

ROGER:
Heil myself!

CHORUS:

ROGER:
...stand and cheer!

THE HEIL-LOs:
The Fuhrer is causing a furor!
He's got those Russians on the run
You gotta love that wacky Hun!
The Fuhrer is causing a furor
They can't say "no" to his demands
They're freaking out in foreign lands
He's got the whole world in his hands
The Fuhrer is causing a furor!

ROGER:
I was just a paper hanger
No one more obscurer
Got a phone call from the Reichstag
Told me I was Fuhrer
Germany was blue
What, oh, what to do?
Hitched up my pants
And conquered France
Now Deutschland's smiling through!
But it wasn't always so easy...
It was 1932. Hindenburg was working the Big Room and I...
I was playing the lounge. And then I got my big break.
Somebody burned down the Reichstag. And, would you believe it?
They made me Chancellor. Chancellor!
It ain't no myst'ry
If it's politics or hist'ry
The thing you gotta know is
Ev'rything is show biz
Heil myself
Watch my show
I'm the German Ethel Merman
Dontcha know
We are crossing borders
The new world order is here
Make a great big smile
Ev'ryone sieg heil to me
Wonderful me!
And now it's...

CHORUS:
Goose-step's the new step today

ROGER:
Springtime!
Goose-steps!

CHORUS MEN:
Bombs falling from the skies again

CHORUS:
Deutschland is on the rise again

ROGER & CHORUS:
U-boats are sailing once more

ROGER:
Means that...

CHORUS:
Soon we'll be going...

ROGER:
We've got to be going...

CHORUS:
You know we'll be going....

ROGER:
You bet we'll be going...

ROGER & CHORUS:
You know we'll be going to war!!
------
(Note the blatant copying of the Marx Brothers' "Freedonia goes to war") ...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »
April 24

1547 - Charles V's Catholic troops defeated the Protestant League of Schmalkalden at the battle of Muhlburg.

1558 - Mary, Queen of Scotland, married the French dauphin, Francis.

1800 - The Library of Congress was established with a $5,000 allocation.

1805 - The U.S. Marines attacked and captured the town of Derna in Tripoli.

1833 - A patent was granted for first soda fountain.

1877 - Russia declared war on the Ottoman Empire.

1877 - In the U.S., federal troops were ordered out of New Orleans. This was the end to post-Civil War Reconstruction & marked the beginning of southern efforts to control newly free black persons

1884 - Otto von Bismarck cabled Cape Town that South Africa was now a German colony.

1889 - The Edison General Electric Company was organized.

1897 - William Price became the first to be named White House news reporter.

1898 - Spain declared war on the U.S., rejecting America's ultimatum for Spain to withdraw from Cuba.

1915 - During World War I, the Ottoman Turkish Empire began the mass deportation of Armenians.

1916 - Irish nationalist launched the Easter Rebellion against British occupation forces.

1953 - Winston Churchill was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.

1961 - Sandy Koufax of the Los Angeles Dodgers struck out 18 batters becoming the first major-league pitcher to do so on two different occasions.

1961 - U.S. President Kennedy accepted "sole responsibility" following Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba.

1962 - MIT sent a TV signal by satellite for the first time.

1967 - Soviet astronaut Vladimir Komarov died when his craft crashed with a tangled parachute.

1967 - The newest Greek regime banned miniskirts.

1968 - Leftist students took over several campus buildings at Columbia University.

1970 - The People's Republic of China launched its first satellite.

1973 - Albert Sabin reported that herpesviruses were factors in nine kinds of cancer.

1974 - David Bowie released "Diamond Dogs."

1981 - The IBM Personal Computer was introduced.

1987 - In Palm Bay, FL, a gunman opened fire in a mall. He killed six and wounded 10.

1989 - Thousands of students began striking in Beijing.

1990 - The space shuttle Discovery blasted off from Cape Canaveral, FL. It was carrying the $1.5 billion Hubble Space Telescope.

1990 - Michael Milken pleaded guilty to six felonies and agreed to pay a $600 million penalty. He was later sentenced to ten years in prison. Milken had sold junk-bond in the 1980s.

1998 - ABC confirmed that it was canceling the TV series "Ellen." The show was the first series to feature an openly gay lead character.

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
25 April! Happy Antifascist Day - today is Liberation Day in Italy, commemorating the partisan uprisings against the Nazis/Fascists, and also the anniversary of the Carnation Revolution, in Portugal, against Salazar!

:redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

In Italy, the Left pretty much demonstrates all week, until May Day - imagine it is the same in Portugal.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
April 25 has some other good things as well

1831 - The New York and Harlem Railway was incorporated in New York City.

1901 - New York became the first state to require license plates for cars. The fee was $1.

1945 - Delegates from about 50 countries met in San Francisco to organize the United Nations.

1959 - St. Lawrence Seaway opened to shipping.

1967 - Colorado Governor John Love signed the first law legalizing abortion in the U.S. The law was limited to therapeutic abortions when agreed to, unanimously, by a panel of three physicians.

1987 - In Washington, DC, 100,000 people protested the U.S. policy in Central America.

. . . and birthday of:

Guglielmo Marconi 1874
Edward R. Murrow 1908
Ella Fitzgerald 1918   (*sigh*--I love her recordings :) )
Meadowlark Lemon 1932

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
The bombing of the Basque town Gernika (Guernica) 70 years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6583639.stm

http://www.peacemuseumguernica.org/ In Euskera (Basque), Spanish, French and English
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 07:58:41 AM »
The International Institute of Social History (IISG) is marking "this day in history" not by the destruction of Gernika, but by the Franco government's cover-up of the fascist coalition's war crime:

http://iisg.nl/today/en/26-04.php

Blame it on the Basques!
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 08:50:53 AM »
The original article from The Times on the wilful destruction of Gernika

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 709301.ece
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
This day in history
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »
Picasso's Guernica:

Before it was moved back to Spain (Madrid -- it should be in Bilbao) after Franco's death (Picasso had made that a condition), Guernica was at the entrance to one of the floors of the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan. I arrived on that floor one day in 1975, turned a corner, and walked right into it. Reproductions cannot convey the raw power of that raw original, which floats over hidden images and pentimento -- it's clear that Picasso had no interest in cleaning the painting up -- the refusal of closure is part of the point.

It is a wonderful thing. Give it to the Basques.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
This day in history
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
If anyone can see what's wrong with that link ...

lagatta

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »
When I was in the European Social Forum in Paris in 2003 - not long after the begining of the war on Iraq :( - there was a big composite Gernika on display, made of squares painted or done in other media by Basque artists - from both the Spanish and French sides of Euskadi - as a gift to the Iraqi people - but I have no idea where the work of art is now.

Yes, of cource "Guernica" should be in Euskadi - in Biblao/Bilbo or in San Sebastián/Donostia - though Bilbao has a state-of-the-art Art Museum, the Guggenheim, not in Madrid.

I can't figure out what is wrong with your link. Wikipedia links are often a bit screwy.
Rosa Luxemburg

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
This day in history
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
And there was this: "The Lessons of Guernica: 'Profound symbolism' as U.N. hides Picasso's anti-war masterpiece for Colin Powell's call to arms" (William Walker, Toronto Star, Feb 9, 2003)
But as U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell sat down last week to deliver an historic speech about why America must go to war with Iraq, Pablo Picasso's Guernica was concealed by a large blue drape.

To twist an old axiom, those who ignore the horrors of history — or cover them up — are doomed to repeat them.
[...]
"A diplomat stated that it would not be an appropriate background if the ambassador of the United States at the U.N. John Negroponte, or Powell, talk about war surrounded with women, children and animals shouting with horror and showing the suffering of the bombings."

When Powell completed his 85-minute presentation to the Security Council, he and its members walked out into the second-floor hallway and past the covered tapestry of Picasso's 1937 masterpiece, Guernica.

The tapestry was donated to the United Nations in 1985 by Nelson Rockefeller as a tribute to the international agency's mandate.
[...]
The official reason Picasso's masterpiece was covered up? It hangs over the exact spot where Security Council members stop and speak before TV cameras. It was decided the violent anti-war images would not be the fitting backdrop for talk of a new war.

"It is, we think, we hope, only temporary," said Faustino Diaz Fortuny, a Spanish envoy whose government owns the original painting and shows it at a Madrid museum.

"It's only temporary. We're only doing this until the (TV) cameras leave," said Abdellatif Kabbaj, the chief U.N. media officer.
[...]
Laurie Brereton, an Australian Labour MP and U.N. delegation member, reflected on the draped-over Picasso after Powell's Wednesday speech.

"There is a profound symbolism in pulling a shroud over this great work of art," she said.

"For throughout the debate on Iraq ... there has been a remarkable degree of obfuscation, evasion and denial, and never more so than when it comes to the grim realities of military action.

"We may well live in the age of the so-called `smart bomb,' but the horror on the ground will be just the same as that visited upon the villagers of Guernica ....

"Innocent Iraqis — men, women and children — will pay a terrible price. And it won't be possible to pull a curtain over that."

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
This day in history
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »
I saw the original in the Reina Sofia modern art museum in Madrid (2 euro admission, if I recall correctly), where Picasso has most of a floor or something.   There was a permanent standing crowd of people around it.

A real orator would have been able to use the painting in a call to arms, you can twist anything.

belva

• View Profile
This day in history
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Guernica was at the entrance to one of the floors of the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan. I arrived on that floor one day in 1975, turned a corner, and walked right into it. Reproductions cannot convey the raw power of that raw original, which floats over hidden images and pentimento.

I saw it there too--I'm trying to remember--I think 1973 or 74--I know it was after the birth of my first daughter & I remember tearfully praying that she  would never experience such horrors.

You're right, skdadl--NO copy can convey the urgency, the pain, the power of that piece.

Bread & Roses Forum

This day in history
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »

Return To TAT