Author Topic: Retirement and Pensions  (Read 2833 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Retirement and Pensions
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:37:04 PM »
Two interesting pieces from Antigone Magazine about us aging dames and munnee.

Boomer Women Retire

More Women Have Pension Funds

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:48:18 PM »
Being objectified makes me feel very disoriented. I never know how to respond to it.  :?

lagatta

• View Profile
Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »
What on earth is a "pension"?

Or this thing called "retiring"?

She sounds like a very bourgeois feminist. The very development of worker-paid pension funds was a major defeat for the working class. That fucker Sarkozy wants to bring it in en France, but it will be a hell of a battler.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
I read the title as "Retirement and Penises".  :? (I seem to be doing that a lot lately, which makes for lots of double takes as I read the Guardian news page....)

I don't really plan to retire, and the whole idea of saving up money, while thinking about retirement and pensions gives me the cafard. I'd rather enjoy my work and discover different ways of doing it as I get older, rather than slogging through years of work I don't really enjoy, or working too long and hard just to get the retirement reward at the end. Bleh. I've known too many people who do just that, then get sick just as they retire, leaving behind a fat bank account and lots of assets. [/u][/i]

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:36:22 PM »
I'm happy the Mob had the foresight to set up various "pension funds"  :spy:  so those of us who become handicapped (or "kneecapped") have something to fall back on. I'm happy in my enforced retirement, although I'd rather be living somewhere other than a "safe house".  :whis:

Timebandit

• View Profile
Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
I have a small pension fund that I can access after age 60 or so, gained from my 5 years in provincial employment.  Other than that, the blond guy and I are responsible for our own retirement funding.  I don't see retirement as the carrot at the end of the stick, I simply know that there will come a time when it will be harder for me to do what I do, and eventually may wind up not being as able to work as I am now.  I can't imagine not pursuing something, but I'd like at least a measure of security in my old age.

So we're working on RSPs and hope to have enough to live on later, although we're under no illusions that we will be living high on the hog at the rate we're able to save now.  There's also the balance to be struck between planning for later and living life to the full today -- my father's death at the age of 54 drilled that lesson home.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Retirement and Pensions
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »
This is a Disgrace. How the hell do the unelected make these decisions anyway? Disabled Nortel workers are screwed over by the Con Senators.

End of disability benefits Dec. 31

“Under the Bankruptcy Protection (Act), it would have raised them from   unsecured creditors up to preferred creditors. It would do it not only   for them (Nortel employees receiving disability benefits) but people   henceforth facing this kind of circumstance,” said Liberal Senator Art   Eggleton, who introduced the bill on behalf of Liberal MP Judy Sgro   (York West).

he Senate bill, which would have protected employees on long-term   disability by granting them preferred status during bankruptcy   proceedings, was defeated by a vote of 47-44 even though critics say it   wouldn’t have cost the taxpayers a dime.     The vote was surprisingly whipped by Conservative government. Even   Senator Doug Finley, who is battling cancer, was forced to show up to   defeat the bill.
Do the Senators have to write up something to explain their reasoning?
 :mad2

eta
“The whole reason we are in this mess is because Nortel removed $75   million from a trust fund designated for disabled employees, which they   have no business touching and the trustee of the trust fund failed to   stop Nortel from doing this,” she said.

That reminds me of the SCC/EI raiding!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:29:28 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
That reminds me of the SCC/EI raiding!

or the $50 billion or so that the government (Liberal at the time) removed from government workers pensions.  :mad2
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »
Oh boy, looks like Harper is going to try to slowly kill off the CPP rather than bolster it. Can't believe the Provincial ministers agreed to a privatized scheme.

Also, not only do these funds get raided when they should be locked, at some point they decided to build the CPP by investing in the freaking stock market.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
I completely agree with Heather's take on this issue. The fact that the provinces are on board with Flaherty's proposal is infuriating. :mad2
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
Here is one reason my work group are less than fans of the Liberals, Martin/Chretien are dirty words. - even if no one doubts that Mr. Flaherty would do the same thing.

OTTAWA — Federal unions and retiree groups will continue their decade-long
legal  fight to get $30 billion of their pension-plan fund back from the
government.

when is a pension not a pension? When it is a bail out.

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
UK Unions Plot a Winter of Discontent as They Ballot More Than a Million Workers for Biggest General Strike Since 1926
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/09/14-3

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:37:10 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
I've been reading the Guardian re: this massive strike with 3 of the biggest unions in the UK set for Nov. 30th. The gob is in panic mode. They have decided to bring in the military to put it down, the soldiers will man the passport ques at the border  :o  75,000 of those public sector workers are Women and the idiocy of Cameroon led him to worry the most about workers getting 'child-minders' and telling the CEO's that they should be prepared to allow employees to bring their children to work, since Teachers will be of the strike. That was a doozy, calling teachers babysitters. The Stupid knows no bounds.  That's when the real panic began, LOL.
I think this gob is losing the women's vote in megaspades.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/27/public-sector-strike-army-borders

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
Video uploaded yesterday. Belgian Firefighters vs Cops!  :applause Gov't trying to raise retirement age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbukbAtPog&feature=player_embedded

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »

Return To TAT