Poll

Boom Boom and Croghan27 should bring their drift-posts here.

. addslashes($options[$i]) . "
5 (45.5%)
 . addslashes($options[$i]) . "
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The Drifters' Very Own Thread  (Read 29912 times)

anne cameron

• View Profile
The Drifters' Very Own Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »
Trixie Beldon can whip Nancy Drew's butt any old time.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2007, 08:23:15 AM »
I'm with you, Anne.  Trixie gal all the way.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
Trixie rules!

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »
Has anyone been following Weeds it looks just like my kind of show. It's in 3rd season and I never heard of it before, waah!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2007, 10:46:58 AM »
It's terrific, from the intro that revives the 'ticky-tack houses' ballad to Mary-Louise Parker's faux-naive character.  'Weeds' is to this decade what the sitcom Mary Hartman, Mary Hartmanwas to the 1970's.  Toe, the first two seasons are available for rental.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Oh goody. But tonight is premiere of 3rd season right? So I gotta catch up fast.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2007, 11:22:11 AM »
You could read the episodes synopsis, at the link that I provided.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2007, 11:52:10 AM »
Quote from: Toedancer
Has anyone been following Weeds it looks just like my kind of show. It's in 3rd season and I never heard of it before, waah!

Never heard of it. I think I'll look into seeing what a subscription to HBO costs - I've seen some of their shows on TMN, and they've all been good.

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »
Weeds can also be found on showcase . . . at least it could awhile ago.

I watched it a couple of times (my SO enjoys it), but I found it somehow grated on my nerves.  Perhaps I am expecting realism where I should just be looking for entertainment.

Selling dope is nothing like the show portrays, maybe that's it.  Seems like such a "lark" on TV, so different from any type of reality.

I think I am getting crankier by the day - soon I won't even be able to stand myself :annoyed:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »
Quote from: justme

I think I am getting crankier by the day - soon I won't even be able to stand myself :annoyed:

Yeah I get that, but my reality sucks most of the time, so I love this kind of shit, the more ridiculous it is, the more I'll be LMAO!

deBeauxOs

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2007, 12:21:03 PM »
... Selling dope is nothing like the show portrays, maybe that's it.  ...
It's a send-up of those US 'upper-middle-class' suburban communities in the South-West.  The dope-peddling is a metaphor for barely-legal get-rich-quick pyramid schemes, I think.

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

The only time I am unable to stand myself is when I reek.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
... Selling dope is nothing like the show portrays, maybe that's it.  ...
It's a send-up of those US 'upper-middle-class' suburban communities in the South-West.  The dope-peddling is a metaphor for barely-legal get-rich-quick pyramid schemes, I think.

I really like the show although i haven't watched that many episodes.  But i'm not so sure its a metaphor for anything, i think selling pot can be just like that.  I think its catch is just how normal selling pot can be and the juxtaposition of this woman maintaining her suburban lifestyle in such a non-traditional way.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
You're back Chester. Don't we have some unfinished business in the boxing thred? :D

deBeauxOs

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
Fifty years ago I took swimming lessons at the old Ottawa YMCA, and nude swimming was the rule -  never understood why, but that may have turned me off the idea of skinny dipping completely. I very much doubt that rule is in effect today.
There's no YMCA in Ottawa now.  The YM/YWCA pool facilities do not allow nude swimming.

Return To TAT