Author Topic: Perseid meteor shower coming  (Read 2652 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Perseid meteor shower coming
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
The Perseid meteor shower will be here this weekend, at its brightest late Sunday night.  I probably wont go out of town to try to see it; but the park by my place is pretty dark, I might try it.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/08/10/meteor-shower.html
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:15 PM »
I've never seen a good Perseid shower. The one year that we were in a great spot to watch, back in the late 80s or early 90s, was a fizzle year -- I forget why that happens, maybe just for some places on earth, but really, it was a fizzle.

I'm close to a ravine that is deep and dark, but I'm not keen on hiking around there with my head towards the stars while various forms of life creep up on me from behind. Otherwise, most of this city is just too lit up.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks Holly.

During one of its most intense storms in 1966, there were 40 streaks per second. People looking skyward "had the sensation of racing through space," Van Flendern told CBC.ca.

40 freakin streaks Per Second! We need a time machine I tells ya, WAH!!

Oh I wouldn't go down the ravine skdadl on meteor night, that would be going the wrong way eh? Got a dark hill around?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »
It took me about 5 separate meteor showers on my birthday before I realized that it is an annual event.  Now, because it comes on and around my birthday every year, I try to get out for the Perseids (usually on a boat).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »
Saw a few this year. The best display I've ever seen was in 1997 or '98, sitting on top of a hill in the Colorado Rockies.  It was one or two or even three every few seconds. Spectacular!

And skdadl, for future reference, the best spot near you would be at the top end of Cedarvale ravine, in the wide, deep expanse of the cricket pitch bowl.  It is almost entirely ringed by trees, which block out much of the surrounding lights.
Hope has met reality

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:19:09 AM »
If anyone is interested in seeing more metor showers, here is a list of some to come. '07 is toward the bottom of the page.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: Perseid meteor shower coming
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Perseid meteor shower coming
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:53:40 AM »
Full moon too.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT