Author Topic: It's still the f*ing war [Iraq]  (Read 65475 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: It's still the f*ing war [Iraq]
« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
They are weaklings whose "support" is easily bought as soon as they see   which direction the power is tending. Is your MP a "leader"

Mine is Paul Dewar --- articulate, aggressive and progressive .... he comes from good stock to be a leader.

If I have had problems with him it has been when he has (seemed to)   abandon his stated principles and voted with the dictates of Jack. The   firing of Linda Keen was one instance. I like to think that on matters of more profound and national import he would vote his conscience rather than what is expedient for him.

Can I take it you did not vote for your MP?

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Well, I wasn't here at the time but I wouldn't have, and I didn't vote for my MP in my old riding either. I think I can count on two fingers of one hand the times I've had a chance to vote for someone who actually won federally (since 1968). You are very lucky, Croggy, to have Dewar. (The two I was able to vote for who won: Dan Heap, and I think Olivia before we moved.)

This is a Catch-22 riding, though. We're one of the ridings with a very narrow margin of success for the Tories last time, and the serious challenge is from the NDP. So. There's hope.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »
I think that Olivia is the brains in the Layten family ... she was my rep. on council when I lived on King West.

I have also met Dan Heep several times .... if there were more Christians like him I would be at church every Sunday. 

Throw in Ian Waddell and there is a fine triumvirate for you.

( triumvirate = three leaders)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
I have also met Dan Heep several times .... if there were more Christians like him I would be at church every Sunday. 

It's Heap, not Heep. I met the family several times during my time at Trinity College. I worshipped at their church (Holy Trinity, behind the Eaton Centre) a couple of times.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
It's Heap, not Heep. I met the family several times during my time at Trinity College. I worshipped at their church (Holy Trinity, behind the Eaton Centre) a couple of times

::) sorry, Dan. But I am sure he would not object to being accredited with a spot in Dickens.

As well, I am familiar with the church nestled in a curve of Eaton Centre, the ones with the list by the door of street people who have died on the streets ... if there were more churches like that I would be really busy on Sunday mornings.

(I knew three of them - two quite well.)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:07 PM »
There is also a church very close to where you live that does a lot of outreach work with homeless people. I've met some great churchy types when involved in refugee sanctuary work.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:48 PM »
There is also a church very close to where you live that does a lot of outreach work with homeless people. I've met some great churchy types when involved in refugee sanctuary work.

Yes, on the corner of Bell Street .... i have gone there a few times as they have had some madrigal groups and once a trio of harp. violin and guitar playing Bach ...

(Unfortunately there is also a rather notorious crack house just next to it on Bell.)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Somerset+Street+West,+Ottawa,+Ontario&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=25.369388,56.162109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Somerset+St+W,+Ottawa,+Ontario&ll=45.410231,-75.707951&spn=0.000842,0.001714&t=h&z=19

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 25, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
UN expert accuses Whitehall of cover-up

Ross, who appeared before the inquiry this month, says he was not   provided with key documents relevant to his testimony and was warned by   officials not to refer to an internal Foreign Office memo that   contradicted the government's public case for war.

And Vital documents not given

Nick Clegg said a few weeks ago that almost all documents must now be released. He is right.
  Altho I think he has since backtracked on that. I guess someone important whispered something nasty into his ear.

The invasion of Iraq was neither in self-defense against armed attack nor   sanctioned by UN Security Counsel resolution authorizing the use of   force by member states and thus constituted the crime of war of   aggression, according to the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) in Geneva. The world is scrutinizing this very carefully, because in the end it will demonstrate the U.S./Britain and all other players are not countries that follow the rule of law after all. Pity.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 25, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »
I read that in the Guardian, Toe and it occurred to me that the difference between the British Commission search and Parliament's look into Harper's hiding of embarrassing documents, is that they have people like Ross. He is familiar with what is being withheld. Canada (Parliament) must depend, in faith, upon the offices of the very people that did the withholding.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 02, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
from today's WaPo:

But the economic crisis of late 2008, and the improving security situation in Iraq, pushed George W. Bush's war to the back burner as Obama took office. In the 18 months since, Iraq has rarely made headlines. 

(Bolding mine)

The 'drawdown' is good .... yet is is good policy to initiate an action on false grounds? Perhaps they should check ABC News.
July deadliest month in Iraq since 2008  Posted Sun Aug 1, 2010 7:40am AEST
Note the date.

Toedancer

• View Profile
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #401 on: November 09, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
Training missions in both Iraq and Afghanistan... code for staging grounds for bombing sorties in Iran?
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 09, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
My thought exactly sparks. Such deceit, such dishonesty among our representative democracies, what an utter charade.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
Training missions in both Iraq and Afghanistan... code for staging grounds for bombing sorties in Iran?

Very possibly, although the U.S. already has, I believe, three bases in Baluchistan (Pakistan border with Iran) -- but then, that's Pakistan. Special forces have been going in from there for some time. When the Iranians claim they're dealing with spies, sometimes they're being filthy buggers, but sometimes they're right -- they are.

It's a cauldron, for sure.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 21, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
Obama says only 150 troops will be left for arm sales, protect the embassy etc.
Everyone else will be home for the xmas holidays.
They have to leave because Iraq stubbornly refused to give immunity to the soldiers.
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/all-us-troops-to-leave-iraq/2011/10/21/gIQAUyJi3L_story.html?wpisrc=al_national

Or if you prefer the Nation - http://www.thenation.com/article/164087/after-nearly-nine-years-war-and-occupation-america-withdraw-all-troops-iraq

Now where will they be deployed?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:26:53 PM by Toedancer »

Return To TAT