Author Topic: What are you eating/cooking?  (Read 8814 times)

Timebandit

• View Profile
What are you eating/cooking?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »
I'm going to make a salmon pasta sauce with leek and maybe a bit of cream cheese.  Fast and easy.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

deBeauxOs

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
What herbs do you add to jazz it up, Timebandit?  I love this combination; basil, smoked salmon, garlic, lemon in a light (fat and otherwise) cream cheese sauce is sooo yummy.  A little goes a long way.

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »
I sometimes add a little tarragon and lemon -- the leeks jazz things up pretty well on their own.  Sometimes I use basil, too.  It's one of those meals where you wind up adding a little of this, a little of that and never comes out exactly the same.  Salmon's left over from a whole salmon we had last weekend, so it's not smoked.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Tonight, my dinner will be quick bite inbetween big box store errands (argh! but I have to) but tomorrow I want to do something with the fennel I got yesterday. I'd previously made it into a cream sauce/pasta dish, but that was rather on the heavy side and somewhat time-consuming. Any ideas for fennel?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
Braised Fennel

That will be a very light dish, kuri.

I went looking for it because you reminded me of how much I have adored in the past braised endive. It is an interesting thing to do with veggies we don't normally treat that way.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
yeah, that is how I usually cook fennel, if I cook it. Though you can substitute either a dash of white wine or a squeeze of citrus juice for the chicken broth.

Some tough endives are better cooked a bit.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
Backon subject though, I'm having leftover lentil soup, which tastes much better now than it did last night.

That's a common phenomenon, found with chili, spaghetti sauce, most soups, and even gravy.  I think it reaches its zenith with Sorpotel, the putative national dish of Goa.  Not only does it feature most of the organs of a pig, but according to my Goan cookbook, it's intermittently cooked and refrigerated for seven days.  Yup.  Start it up, then after cooking, refrigerate.

Then, take it out and reheat, then refrigerate.  For seven days.  That's whatcha call 'inconvenience food'.  Did everyone miss the "Sizzle" episode where I did Sorpotel in real time?  It's a 3.3 Gb download, if you're curious.  ;)

I thought it was my most ridiculous recipe, but today, Mrs. Magoo gave me a book on preserving foods, and a recipe for saurkraut begins with "55 pounds of cabbage, finely chopped".  Hey, I lurve saurkraut, but that's at least a year's worth, and besides, I need my tub for showering.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »
People did do a year's worth of that at a time - I had a granny who did.

Same as sausages, tomato sauce, everything one put "up". Huge corvees, if possible done in groups.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »
Communal preserving - sounds great!!

peppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »
They still do that in Korea.  I remember seeing a house sized mountain of bok choy outside every little shop in the city early in November, then gone two days later

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo

I thought it was my most ridiculous recipe, but today, Mrs. Magoo gave me a book on preserving foods, and a recipe for saurkraut begins with "55 pounds of cabbage, finely chopped".  Hey, I lurve saurkraut, but that's at least a year's worth, and besides, I need my tub for showering.

That's something we used to do in our neighbourhood when I was growing up.  Lots of Ukranians.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Braised Fennel

That will be a very light dish, kuri.

Oh, thanks! That does look good. And the bonus is that I don't have to buy anything new to make it. Maybe I'll make a bit of orzo and cheat a bit by putting some seasoned chicken thighs in the same pot to absorb a bit of the same heat.

I don't think you need to sacrifice your bathtub to make sauerkraut, Magoo. You need to find a good barrel. Some of my neighbours from back home used to make sauerkraut in barrels - they'd just let it ferment, covered, outdoors in the fall.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Onna da boyz at work goes out in the fall and kills things ....

Another loves to cook .....

Today and tomorrow they come together ... today was deer sausage day, and tomorrow is moooooose stew day ......

I am not a big fan of wandering through wildlife areas and blowing them away with expensive Remingtons ... but my, oh my  the results are good.  :eat

Beats my usual lunch of  :canofworms: and  :spam:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 11:48:18 PM »
Quote from: shaolin
Communal preserving - sounds great!!
Egyptians invented that, I heard.  

:ducking:

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »
Feta stuffed zingy red peppers.  Highly addictive.

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

Return To TAT