Author Topic: What are you eating/cooking?  (Read 9218 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: What are you eating/cooking?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
A big garden salad with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and radishes, with red wine vinegar, EVOO, and Catalina dressing. Broiled BBQ pork chop coming next.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
An archeological thread!  A rare glimpse into the past!

So, I never did make the 55 pounds of saurkraut recipe, though I've really been considering making a 1 pound of saurkraut recipe, encouraged by my rampant success making my own kimchi.  What's saurkraut if not kimchi, minus about 6 things, and made with a different cabbage?
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
I have some very nice alfredo/pesto sauce leftover. I thought perhaps I'd add some thinly sliced yellow pepper, more onion/garlic, a big batch of portobello mushrooms. Then sizzle some chicken breasts, boil up the rice alfredo noodles, place on bottom of pan, pour mess on top, then the breasts and grated mozz, bake for an hour.

What do you think? Sound okay or just awful.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
Well, Toe, to me, that is a long time to cook teh noodles -- that would be my quibble. Egg noodles, ordinary pasta, rice, couscous or other grains -- I always do 'em separate, at the end, and as fast as poss, but I like the al dente feel.

I once had a chicken casserole cooked with the rice at bottom all the way through, a lot of milk as the liquid, which I quite liked, although I would still have called that rice gummy. It was tasty, but gummy.

To me, noodles and pasta take so little time -- my noodles are barely five minutes, eg. Even rice is just one cigarette's worth. So, twitchy tho' I am in the kitchen (and I am), those last touches don't bother me because I'm almost ready to eat anyway. It's the other stuff that takes time.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
The thought of turning on my oven, or even my stove, just makes me sweat. I haven't actually cooked anything since May.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
Yes there is the noodle problem. Okay how about I just let the noodles cook in the sauce while baking? Or perhaps I should use the cook in the oven kind of lasagna noodles? Shite, I gotta go for a walk and think about this. It's sunny now and I'm perplexed by all the fall coloured leaves on the ground. Smells divine tho.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 02:22:28 PM »
Lasagna noodles might do it.  So might regular egg noodles, if that sauce is wet enough.  Check it halfway through if you go that route; those noodles will drink.

The thought of turning on my oven, or even my stove, just makes me sweat. I haven't actually cooked anything since May.
     I ended my strange stubborn streak last night and made some fall-style Miso soup indoors.  Prior to that I'd been cooking outdoors only, either on the grill, or on my caterer's burner.     BTW, I've now seen these burners for sale in Chinatown for $11.  They run hotter than my gas stove (great for stir fries, or boiling a giant pot of corn) and they're portable, for picnics and tailgate parties.  Also, you can serve things like hotpot or shabu-shabu at the table.        

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
Herr Magoo, what kind of fuel does that li'l contraption use? Is it just like the heater for a fondue set, only bigger? Uses methyl hydrate?

I ask because I live with an electric stove that I detest but am not likely to replace until I do a lot more, and it would be great to have a real flame in the kitchen rather than those stupid burners. God, I hate my stove. I'm not so fond of the fridge. Thankfully, the dish washer is already daid, or I would have killed that too.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
It uses cans of butane, which you can get in four-packs pretty much anywhere.

Back when we were in an apartment, I had one that I'd use up on the roof, but also when cooking inside and either I needed FIVE burners for a fancy meal, or else I wanted one that was white hot (eg: for browning meat without it weeping and boiling instead).  Oh, and during the blackout, I was the only one who could cook.  :)

Mine is about ten years old now.  It's called "Mr. Stove".  That's the brand name, BTW, not some cutesy nickname we gave it.  They come with a carrying case, and some well thought out interlocks in the design (eg: you can't remove the butane can when it's on, you can't put it away without disengaging the butane, etc., etc.)

Like I say, $11.  They're all over Chinatown, in various incarnations and prices, but start at Oriental Harvest on the West side of Spadina, north of Dundas.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Does it feel stable to you, Herr Magoo? I love gas flames, but I am also afeard of teh fire. Tippy things scare me too, especially if they're on fire.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
They are twice that price (still not expensive) in my little knot of Sino-Vietnamese and Sino-Cambodian shops around Jean-Talon and St-Denis (mostly between Castelnau and Bélanger, but there are several Vietnamese restaurants on St-Denis north and south of there too - one of the best in the city is at the corner of St-Denis and Beaubien. Perhaps I'll head down to the main Chinatown to see if they have those specials too.

A new Chinatown (and East/Southeast Asian in general) is developing in the west end of the city centre, mostly between Guy and Atwater, fuelled by university students thereabouts.

Magoo, do you use the stove indoors?

As for my supper, I'm grilling little white eggplants on my indoor electric grill, then some boned chicken thighs (on special at Supermarché PA).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
I used to use it indoors all the time, but now in the house we have gas.  It's still hotter, but for the most part the gas stove does me.

As far as stable, yes, absolutely.  The hob on top is "notched" to fit pans quite safely, and the unit itself is wide and low, so there's no "tippiness" to worry about.  The only things I ever have to fuss with are very wee pots -- those I need to make sure to centre on the hob.  I've used the hell out of Mr. Stove without incident of any sort.

The only downsides:

-  when the gas runs out, it's not like it beeps or something.
-  it's hot, even when the flame is tiny, so you can't keep your hollandaise sauce warm for hours on it.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »
How do you turn it on? Do you just flip a switch, or do you have to light it?

Stop me if you've heard this story before (and many have): When I first moved to my last place, I had a great gas stove for the first time in years, and was soon very pleased with it in so many ways. Even re teh kittehs: when the burners are off, they are off, and no one who jumps up is going to burn teh wee paddies on a burner that is cooling down.

Except: Only a month or so after we got there, Guinny, who is the counter cat (as well as computer cat), was running away from someone else and leapt up to the stove to save herself. As she jumped, she boosted herself against one of the knobs on the stove and must have twisted it perfectly, because as she sailed over it, the flame burst on full. I was sitting watching all that as it happened. I swear, you could never reproduce that moment with a trained anything -- it was beautiful and terrifying all at once. And then I got up and turned off the burner.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
I used to use it indoors all the time, but now in the house we have   gas.  It's still hotter, but for the most part the gas stove does me

In the years immediately BC (Before Crogh) my family lived in Moncton, NB. (No many know it, but Moncton has had natural gas as a utility since the early 1900s.)

They then moved to Saint John (whether it was to escape a census or not is not recorded) where oil heating and cooking was the order of the day. My mother would always fondly recall her days in Moncton with the natural gas for cooking and heating - faster, cleaner and much less smelly.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
From age 2+ to 11, I was growing up in Medicine Hat, which Kipling famously described as having "all Hell for a basement" -- ie, it's sitting on a huge pocket of natural gas. (And then there are the local Con politicians.)

Kipling also helped to save the name of the city. I'm not finding the quotation fast on Google, although it's in Columbo's Canadian Quotations. Anyway, a few years after his apparently enjoyable visit to the city about a century ago, some city notables wrote to tell him that they were debating changing the town's name to something with a little more gravitas. Kipling wrote back something to the effect of Don't you dare do that! It's a wonderful name; it has no equal in the world.

So they didn't. 

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »

Return To TAT