Author Topic: Perfesser's locked out ...  (Read 2132 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Perfesser's locked out ...
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
It seems my olde alma mater  :age:  has locked out it's teaching staff. I just learned of it today with an brief blurb on Yahoo.

Here is the Daily Gleaner, out of Fredericton, it may have changed since I lived there, but then they could make any right-wing blowhard into a voice of reason.

I sent a lettef of support to one of the (few  :( ) professors that I knew and is still there.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
Historical skull-duggery
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
For some reason FireFox has decided that I do not visit the History News Network enough, and has positioned it atop any page I bring up.  :shock:  They, of course, are correct.  :applause:

Goin with the flow a short while ago I happened to find an article there about Historians Who have Gone Bad. What the hey - we all deviate from the straight and narrow bytimes, but I investigated to see the nature of Historical Crime.

Now, a friend of mine got an essay back from the History 101 professor informing him, on the margin, that 'Plagiarism is a worse sin than masturbation.'   It being a good catholic institution (see above post) it caused no end of giggles. (Naturally it greatly increased his respect among his fellow students.  :D

The historians mentioned in the article appear not to have paid a lot of attention to this stricture - most have been caught in the act!  :shock:  There are some other foibles in there too - but the ones i found interesting had to do with speach and freedom there of. (where, or where is Ezra when ya need him?)

Here are a couple:  Richard M. Berthold from the University of New Mexico,  who uttered the immortal words late on 11 September, 2001:
"Anybody who blows up the Pentagon gets my vote."
(what can I say, works for me  :roll: )

The rather dry comment from HNN is:
Reprimanded by the administration in 2002. Took early retirement after fall 2002 because of harassment from his department. .

The next evul-doer is NICHOLAS DE GENOVA from Columbia. A nasty, nasty left-winger (who else hates America) his transgression was:
At a teach-in at Columbia University in March 2003 told 3,000 students and faculty members that he hoped Iraq would defeat the United States. He also wished for "a million Mogadishus."

Here HNN manages to editorialize a bit:
Columbia University professor NICHOLAS DE GENOVA has given the Right a gift of great value. He has confirmed suspicions that Left-wingers hate America

Columbia is a bit more sanguin about the whole thing: despite giving a Republican a hard on they:
Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Ariz., urged his U.S. House colleagues to demand De Genova's removal. There have been many calls for his removal, but he still is teaching at Columbia.

The last vile historian is Robert David "KC" Johnson. A teacher at Brooklyn College he was accused of the horrible academic sin of (get ready for it) "uncollegiality";  :shock:  and denied tenure.

Madder heads prevailed over the very sensible Chairman of the History Dept, and he was granted tenure.
After a student protest and a petition signed by 23 prominent historians, Mr. Johnson was given a one-year extension on his contract. Subsequently, the board of trustees decided to award him tenure over the objections of the chairman of the history department.

As Bobby Dylan said:

Without freedom of speech,
I might be in the swamp.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT