Author Topic: WikiLeaks Taken Offline by Judge  (Read 50751 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
WikiLeaks Taken Offline by Judge
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
Quote from: skdadl;183512
There's something about this story that makes me feel there are other shoes left to drop.

Assange is never going to confirm an identity because that would be against principle, but he seems to be saying, however indirectly, that Manning's story isn't the whole story, which seems likely to me.

Given that it seems to be the SOP of governments to selectively 'leak' things they want known but are afraid to acknowledge, there is a good chance you are correct here.

Is it a 'leak'? A 'leaked' leak? or a real 'leak'?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:20:33 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
Well, I can believe that Manning is a real leaker, but man, I wish that the puir wee tad had not blabbed that way. There are people he could have talked to who could have helped him, but he didn't know that. He was smart and moral enough to recognize that there was bad stuff in the records, and yet he seems to have been too young and maybe lonely and longing for validation to have thought through what he was doing.

From what Assange says, I get the feeling there are other sources. EW thinks that's why the DoD hasn't charged him yet -- they're still trying to get information.

Anyway, it's a crying shame.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
Quote from: skdadl;183519

snip

From what Assange says, I get the feeling there are other sources. EW thinks that's why the DoD hasn't charged him yet -- they're still trying to get information.

Anyway, it's a crying shame.

Is that a disguised onion reference?

Silly connections ... I saw a movie last night where the detective asks the kidnapper (who has a gun on him) if he enjoyed the $12 million ransom that was paid. The kidnapper answers with an: "er .. yes."

The detective then knows that they have paid the Ransom to different people - it was really only $10 million.

I am led to wonder if this same situation is present with the cables mentioned in Wired:
Hillary Clinton, and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning, and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public,” Manning wrote.

Was this the bravado of a 22 year old who thinks he has hornswaggled the power-that-be? do the files really exist? did he do it all himself?

There is quite a discussion on 'leakers' - (no not those in the Gulf), about Ellsberg and Vanunu - great leaker's of our time. leaker's

There is indeed another layer to this ....... (here it is) onion - or maybe this leek. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:04:40 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
Yeah, I think the post Toe links to is about where I am now. Lamo, I dunno -- I really don't like snitches, but it's true that he could have been in legal trouble himself as soon as he knew. Again, you could wish that he'd talked to some smarter people first before he just called in the feds.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
New Yorker-More on Assange  Love the child services tactics.

Did you check out Lamo's twitter on link? http://mgrazi3.livejournal.com/25987.html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:29:53 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
Mary, while doing a tag team inspection of some torture papers with EW reveals the mechanism of some leaks:

It really strikes me that staffers for the elite, “Uber Members” of Congress (the members who count as notifying the whole of Congress if you whisper in one or two of their ears) got briefings with their bosses, while the intel committees themselves and all of the rest of Congress, was sat out in the cold.

This is not the 'leaker' we are discussing - but it is a method to reveal information through non-official channels.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:07 PM »
I haven't finished that thread yet, Croggy, but in a sense, what Marcy and Mary (and others) are discussing is the opposite of a leak -- it's the CIA cover-ups.

EW is filling in some of the last details of a history she's been building for some time, of the deceptive briefings that the CIA gave to the congresscritturs they are required to brief (the senior intel committee members), some of whom (especially the Dems) they did not want to see fully informed. They gave different briefings to their political protectors, who knew enough of the truth to help them do the cover-up.

So this isn't whistle-blowing -- it's criminal behaviour.

Toedancer

• View Profile

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
What can you say? Run, Julian, run. You gotta admire the guy -- it's hard to outsmart that many powerful people who by now would probably be happy to disappear you in any number of ways ...

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
wikileaks:
Any signs of unacceptable behavior by the Pentagon or its agents towards this press will be viewed dimly.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
:biggrin1:

Great line, eh? I really like Assange's style. Man, if I were thirty years younger ... ;)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Purported e-mail to turncoat Adrian Lamo from Julian - and as skdadl says 'Run Julian Run'

In addition, it would be helpful if you described Mr. Manning, as  a “whistleblower”, who had already lost his access over an  unrelated issue, held no data, and was of no meaningful threat to  anyone. In particular Mr. Manning was not an “alleged spy”, and it is  wrong for you to describe him as such, or to suggest that there were no  other approaches to resolving the situation.
 It would also be helpful to all concerned if you stopped trying  to justify your behavior by whipping up sentiment against Mr. Manning in  other ways. Your most effective personal strategy is to say you were  scared due to your previous experiences, unthoughtful due to recent drug  problems, and made a decision which you now bitterly regret and would  under no circumstances repeat. Going around like a poor man’s Tsutomu,  constantly drawing attention to yourself through the destruction of a  young romantic outlaw figure, will leave you permanently reviled by  history–and me.
 JA
To which Lamo replies:
“No, I’m not going to give the logs to someone who suggests that I might  have been drug-addled when I decided to turn in a spy,” says Lamo, who  takes prescription medication for depression and Asperger’s  Disorder. “Private Manning’s attorney can get them by discovery  like everyone else.”
Ooo Discovery.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:50:39 PM by Toedancer »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:35 PM »
OMG -- now I really am in love. Wait till I quote that passage from Assange to my friend fatster at EW's place -- she'll pass out. We've been thinking of arranging a time-share of Julian ...  ;)

Toedancer

• View Profile

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »

Return To TAT