Author Topic: WikiLeaks Taken Offline by Judge  (Read 85482 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
WikiLeaks Taken Offline by Judge
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
Phew!

After an extensive and expensive report the American government has decided to apologize to the Iraqi people for the mindless slaughter of its' civilians. Here is a line from the Yahoo report on the apology:

The report describes jumpy soldiers charging into hostile streets and going into a shooting frenzy that left 13 dead in less than 10 minutes.

Harrowing scenes include the shooting of a man as he crawled away from the troops, and of another as he lay mortally wounded.

OOPs - silly me! What I mean is the Yahoo report on the apology of the British government for the mindless killings of civilians on Bloody Sunday.

35 years apart and one could be practice for the other ....

"When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?"

(Pete Seegar)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:35:53 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer;183913
More tings change, more they stay the same......

The Obama administration is quietly ratcheting up its campaign against national-security leaks with a series of moves that are surprising intelligence-community veterans

I am sure the omnivorous mind of skadadl can come up with the exact quote from the British judge who observed that embarrassing the government does not necessarily mean impinging on the 'national security' of the nation.

Being one of the millions that have now seen the video, I leaned nothing that would endanger the security of the US. Maybe in the sense that it exposes the military as a bunch of bloodthirsty villains, right up there with the Vandals, Goths and Vlad the Impaler - not 'good old 'Merican kids out there protect'in the country'. But certainly nothing in it gives care, or succour to 'the enemy'. The enemy (whoever they are) does not care for American presence to begin with, it will not convince them of anything.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
Assange to leak massacre video, Afghanistan-140 civilians killed, mostly women/children

Go Julian Go! That should be the final nail, but will mainstream Americans/Canadians/Brits notice?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »
Iceland Passes Wikileaks Bill!

Assange has said that the goal was to make Iceland a  “journalism haven” that would be an attractive home base for  investigative reporters from around the world.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
Yay! I've always wanted to go to Iceland ...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
Me too! I've always thought it was very clever of those that named Iceland, which is really Green and Greenland which it is really Ice.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »
Keeps the riff-raff out, eh? ;)

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
He's very cool, isn't he? Both cool-headed and :cool:  I hope he's not in danger, but given recent legal decisions in the U.S., boy, I'd be careful. It's probably true that his fame is now a kind of protection -- let's hope.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
Quote from: skdadl;184171
He's very cool, isn't he? Both cool-headed and :cool: I hope he's not in danger, but given recent legal decisions in the U.S., boy, I'd be careful. It's probably true that his fame is now a kind of protection -- let's hope.

I see he mentions that he (Wikileaks, I guess) have not been able to contract Manning who is supposed to be being held in Kuwait. Are there no legal moves being made to contact him? Does he have a lawyer? Is 'due process' being adhered to? Under what statute is he being held - the Patriot Act? Some Terra Prevention act? has he even been charged?

He is rather a high profile prisoner .... Assange thinks that his notoriety may keep him safe from something .... methinks he had best do some rethinking here.

Da boyz that specialize on gaoling children in and from Afghanistan, condemning groups of uninvolved Chinese be Gitmoized indefinitely,  and abducting the occasional passing Canadian get really pissed when shown to be the impotent bullies they are.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
Well, Manning is in a military jail and he has been assigned a military lawyer. I wouldn't sniff at that automatically -- many of the JAGs are very good -- think Lt-Cmdr Kuebler. But Assange has been trying to get him some civilian lawyers too.

It was Assange's fame I was thinking about keeping Assange himself safe; I think that Manning probably can't escape a military prison term, but we'll see.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WikiLeaks Taken Offline by Judge
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Manning has been charged -- I'm just catching up with this now at EW's place, but there should be pop press all over the place as well.

For a moment a commenter at EW's had me skeert -- she said the Wikileaks guy had been charged, and I thought they'd caught Assange. Not that I think it's a good thing that they're charging Manning, but ...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
The Pentagon wants him that's for sure. Apparently there is a rumour (that wikileaks has been abandoned) that a spokesperson for wikileaks says is a Troll.
Do Not Feed The Troll

So what the heck is going on. There was a short post at Cryptome on June 24th or so saying that Assange is trying to get his Icelandic citizenship, which makes sense as Icelandic citizens cannot be extradited to the        USA.

The 'snitch' Lamo called him out on July 1st

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
Drool. I mean, a Guardian profile of Assange.

The guy is, how shall we say, rigorous?

Is WikiLeaks's impact in the four years since it was founded an inherent criticism of conventional journalism? Have we been asleep on the job? "There has been an unconscionable failure to protect sources," he says. "It is those sources who take all the risks. I was at a journalism conference a few months ago, and there were posters up saying a thousand journalists had been killed since 1944. That's outrageous. How many policemen have been killed since 1944?"

I misunderstand him, thinking he is bemoaning so many journalistic deaths. His point, though, is the reverse – not how many journalists have been killed in the line of duty, but how few. "Only a thousand!" he says, his voice rising a little when he realises I haven't grasped his point. "How many have died in car accidents since 1944? Probably 40,000. Police officers, who have a serious role in stopping crimes, far more of them die. They take their job seriously." But journalists take their job seriously," I protest. "They don't take their job seriously," he says. "Nearly all of the thousand who've died since 1944 have been stringers in places like Iraq. Very few western journalists have died. I think it's an international disgrace that so few western journalists have been killed in the course of duty, or have been arrested in the course of duty. How many journalists were arrested last year in the United States, a country of 300 million people? How many journalists were arrested in the UK last year?"

Return To TAT