Author Topic: New Brunswick to dump early French Immersion.  (Read 2096 times)

John_D

• View Profile
New Brunswick to dump early French Immersion.
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
I'm not quite sure what the NB Liberal party is thinking of here, just stomping all over Louis Robichaud's legacy and the province's proud place in the history of Canadian bilingualism. In any event, starting next year, early immersion in the province is done, to be replaced by a mandatory intensive French program starting in the fifth grade. The government argues that immersion is an elitist program that lumps all students with learning problems or special needs into the core stream, and that the new program will ensure all students get an intensive French experience. However, they seem to be forgetting that five year olds are much better equipped mentally to learn new languages than ten year olds, and that the Grade 5 curriculum is a lot more abstract and thus ought to be much harder to teach in a second language than the Primary or Grade 1 curriculum.

Can anyone figure out why the government there has such a bee in its bonnet over this? They're running roughshod over any opposition, and I just don't understand what the upside is, either politically or in terms of education outcomes.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: New Brunswick to dump early French Immersion.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »
Quote from: John_D
Can anyone figure out why the government there has such a bee in its bonnet over this? They're running roughshod over any opposition, and I just don't understand what the upside is, either politically or in terms of education outcomes.

It seems like unbelievably stupid and backwards step. Is it about the costs? All their other reasons seem bogus.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT