Author Topic: Volunteer or be Fined  (Read 2423 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Volunteer or be Fined
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
http://www.newsnet5.com/education/15775391/detail.html

This is One of the most ridiculous things I've seen in awhile, maybe worthwhile for the Asshole thread.

The bill would require all parents to volunteer 13 hours each school year, either in the lunchroom, chaperoning field trips, or wherever the district needs help.

Research shows parents' involvement leads to student success, but Cleveland schools CEO Eugene Sanders said volunteerism is almost impossible to legislate.

"If there's a way to encourage it, create incentives -- that's the better way. The difficulty is what are your options to address it if it doesn't occur? Your legal options are limited in that kind of setting," Sanders said.

The bill's incentive is a $100 fine for parents who don't fulfill the requirement.

Oh and if you don't volunteer then According to the bill, if a parent doesn't fulfill the requirement and refuses to pay the fine, the money would be taken out of the parent's state tax refund.

Can't think of a better reason to send your kids to private school, which I did do, but for different reasons. Coming soon to a Canadian school near you.

It's not going to work of course, but the fact it's simply Out There is truly frightening. What the district needs help with is some healthy brains, sadly lacking there and here as well.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

pale

• View Profile
    • A Creative Revolution
Re: Volunteer or be Fined
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »
Bizarre. So many circumstances that would be problematic I can see just off the cuff.

I mean, I used to do a lot of stuff in the school when my older kids were little, but that was to spend more time with my kids. It has to be true volunteerism.

I can see why though, (if its not just to get free labour...that's cynical me speaking)
 I went to my oldest daughters parent teacher interview the other day, and the teacher said something that struck me, anyway, as odd.

He said that they know that my child is loved, because of how we take care of her.
Comparing her to other kids in the school.
Makes ya wanna cry to think that theres a lot of parents who don't send a lunch? And then to think that some can't afford lunch.....

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »
I think these people need a lesson in Latin.  "Vol-un-teer".

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »
I raised my kid in the *suburb* of Lawrence/Yonge. Being a little bit country and little bit rock n roll, I found the entire block thinking to be outside of myself and how I thought spirit in schools or anything was. Earth Day was a big deal for me, and I took my kid out every year with big garbage bags and gloves to clean up her school, which in the spring was a mess as in most schools. Especially the fence perimeters. We cleaned, we bagged, we took home. One year *a* school trustee finds us doing this and wants to know why *I* haven't told the school council. WTF? Those were in the days way before KW was Ed Min in the current gov and she lived in the nabe. To me that smacked of conformist suburban thinking and I begged her to leave us alone, do not regress me or my daughter, our civic pride doesn't need development or kudos.  All I wanted was a decent school that my kid could take pride in, mass transit and a nabe shop to buy a decent croissant.

Talking with the then school trustee she seemed amazed when I told her how many single mothers, immigrants, people with mh issues lived in the nabe, like it was the first time she had ever heard of it. She was a coming up to be widget and now she's a high paid widget. Volunteerism? Fekkin idiots, it takes people who don't live in homes with garages as their front doors, people who actually spend time in FRONT inter-acting with their nabes and respecting every one. Then I developed a strong desire among like-minded (who I took the time to spot and then poll) parents to participate -- parents who placed value on strong volunteerism when we could. That lead to a splinter group and we stopped trying for trying and put our kids elsewhere. Meantime Harris thugs had their way and I see nothing much has changed since then.

Volunteerism comes from within and reflects people's core values. Forcing it crosses all boundaries and the common good of society.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:54:49 AM »
Why would they want a parent who didn't want to be there? That sounds like a nightmare to me. Imagine 5 parents in the lunchroom who can't handle their own kids, let alone a group of 100... Sometimes less is better.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:13:51 AM »
It also strikes me as a punishing tax on those already hardest put. Single parents, people who have to work on absurd shifts or combine jobs... and yes, people with problems.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT