Author Topic: can't get into usual memorials threads ....  (Read 2517 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
can't get into usual memorials threads ....
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- George Blanda, the seemingly ageless Hall of Fame   quarterback and kicker whose 26-year career was best remembered for a   remarkable run of late-game theatrics with the Oakland Raiders, has died. He was 83

Back in pre-history, just as I discovered the beauty of football, George Blanda was just finishing up his career in the NFL. By then he was too old to regularly play in a contact position, and so was a kicker.

I believe he still holds the record for the longest field goal, 63 yards. That is not a trivial as it seems - in the American game the defense lines up off the ball. (The CFL has a yard between the lines.)

I heard Alex Karras (Mongo from Blazing Saddles to you :annoyed ) tell of being a defensive lineman for the kick). The defense had never heard of anything so outrageous as the attempt and were busy laughing as Blanda kicked. They were mesmerized as it sailed through the air and between the uprights. 

Thank you George for helping to introduce me to a life time of appreciation.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: can't get into usual memorials threads ....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
Yes, he was an extraordinary athlete.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
According to babble, Croghan27 has passed away.  Condolences to his real-life family and his online families.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
NO, this can't be true, it just can't!  :crying He had a toothache ffs's, that's all! 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:35:48 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
Yes, including his beloved cat, Queenie. But Croghan was a major force on bread and roses, babble and other forums, and in real life as a trade union and community activist, and of course as a human being, father and grandfather.

I think he deserves his own thread celebrating his life and contributions as well as mourning, and am starting one up.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT