Author Topic: Communication  (Read 9306 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Communication
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »
Oh boy, threads like this make me sad and confused.  Hugs to all - I have no solutions.  In my 3d life I deal with miscommunication (a major theme here and on any text based board - literature is founded on multiple interpretations of the same text) with direct addressing of the issue (at least with non-family members, family is another layer or 50 of nuance).  On here I just prefer a thick skin.  It helps that I am mostly oblivious to slights.

I have enjoyed and appreciated the posts and thoughts of every person in this thread, and on this board generally - though of course some arguments have pissed me off, and others I have surely pissed off others.  I only hope that the differences can be ironed out.

Peace.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
Arborman, I can't think of a single post of yours that I haven't appreciated.

Haven't checked the archives, tho.  :mrgreen:

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
Well, I went back to the Memorial thread and read the whole thing over again trying to figure out how we wound up with this thread and..y'know..?  Seems to me the root of the problem had to do with SARS and public health and quarantine and... and I thought yeah, I can see how , in some circumstances, that might have seemed heavy handed and ...and then I thought hey, one minute here....so they don't quarantine anybody...so someone goes somewhere and picks up something and before they get actively ill they have supper with a family who has a kid who goes to the same kindergarten as my Emily.  Emily and six other kids become infected.  They take the infection home.  Six other people in the house with Em are infected.  Hevvin knows how many others infected by those other six kids.  Some of Em's sibs go to high school and they take it to school and...it's extrapolated at this point to probably thirty or more active infectious people...and this is a dirty bug...and can be deadly...and if one of my grandbabies dies do you really think I'm going to give the first part of a shite about the possible inconveniences caused by quarantine?

I guess it's like that old saying It depends whose ox is being gored.  But on a strictly personal level I'll go with quarantine if it gives that kindergarten class a better chance of surviving an epidemic of something downright ugly.

And I can't imagine how much guts it took to issue that order but I do hope I never have to find out because I am not sure I have that kind of guts.  Because you can be sure the people whose bull got gored are going to raise holy old hell.  And those of us whose babies were spared probably don't think to holler right back or to write a note of thank you.

I think she did the correct and right thing.  And good on her.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
Huh. I didn't know about that, not usually wanting to read the recently deceased persons thread (I'm really bad at funerals and memorializing - my family doesn't do it generally so I never learned). It's too bad, because I actually think the thread deBeauxOs proposes is a good idea. I'm interested in a debate about public health/epidemiology/etc trade-off with privacy and liberty. I was going to start a thread about this, but I couldn't think of a way of doing it without violating my oath.  :annoyed:

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
Quote from: kuri
I'm interested in a debate about public health/epidemiology/etc trade-off with privacy and liberty.

The perspective is obviously American but you might be interested in a post that DemFromCT wrote for Daily Kos back in January and cross-posted to the Flu Wiki forum: The ACLU, Pandemic Preparedness, and You. If you search the diaries at that forum on "quarantine" you get 152 results. Admittedly a bunch of them are news threads and won't go into the issues you mention in depth but you can bet those issues have come up there from time to time.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
Thanks, pogge. :) I see there's only 11 hits for "privacy", but a lot of "health record". Quarantine is part of what I'm getting at, but I'm also interested in the power to coerce and to compel disclosure of information and treatment more generally, too.

But I have a lot of reading to do now!

Return To TAT