Author Topic: General Bitching and Moaning  (Read 6100 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: General Bitching and Moaning
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
That's a nice dad!

Cycled out to the closest "Winners" outlet (aka "losers") at the corner of Pie-IX (Pee-neuf) and Jean-Talon. Found a nice route up on Villeray, away from the very busy streets. Needed exercise, but was looking for footless leggings, like dancers wear. Winners has great deals on such vaguely "athletic" items when they have them, but cripes, what a mess the store is. A jumble of sizes and items, and stuff strewn everywhere. I did find a nice purple - or violet - sweater in a fine cotton rib with little cables every other rib - the kind of thing one needs to look half-way dressed up, when it is necessary,  without being remotely uncomfortable - at a very modest cost. Nice deep V.

I hesitated for half an hour. Cripes, I hate spending money. Better than the opposite, I guess.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »
Pie-IX (Pee-neuf)

I used to call it Pie IX until I found out is was for Pius the 9th.

You should try the Winners at Alexis Nihon Plaza. I scored big time there.
I find that the stores are uneven, and depend on the hood.
Better hoods, better stuff.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I've never heard anyone (whatever their mother tongue) in the northeast call it anything but pee-neuf. Yes, of course it is for that Pope.

I'll try out that Winners - didn't know there was a Winners there - the former Canadian Tire? Sure the Zellers is still there. Used to be a nasty ride through downtown from where I live by bicycle, but with the new bicycle path on de Maisonneuve, much mellower. There was always a nice selection at 6900 Décarie, but that again is a haul to get to by bicycle. Due west on Jean-Talon, but a long, boring but rather unsafe stretch by the railway track. If the CP bicycle path is ever built ... That will also go up to the Laval (Rivière des Prairies) railway/bicycle bridge and be a boon to commuters.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
Since it was a beautiful afternoon, I didn't have any urgent work to get done (finished a task at 1pm, and sorely need exercise to ward off athritis, I cycled down to the Claire-Morrissette bicycle path on de Maisonneuve, to the Alexis-Nihon plaza (now adorned with their comely "Alexis" mascot - a Slavic-type young man - sexy Russian or Eastern-European hockey-player type) with many sporting, fashion and lifestyle interests). Branding again.

I did see a beautiful red cachmere sweater, but couldn't justify - or afford - spending $80 on it when I need a coat and boots. Indeed there were much nicer things than at the St-Léonard outlet, but no real luck. I don't care, because I mostly wanted exercise and a change of scene.

There is another highly-recommended Winners outlook at the other end of the 160 bus line - that is more a trip for foul weather, as I don't like the cycling trip along Jean-Talon West by  the rail line that seems to go on forever and not be very safe or cyclist-friendly.

But with luck, I'll find nice stuff at the more upscale church bazaars!
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
General Bitching and Moaning
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
I'll have my bike out soon, but the weather is still on the cool side here. Bloody wind every day keeps putting the renovations on hold. :frusty:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
I cycled down to the "Musée du Fier monde" (Museum of Industrial and working-class history) on Amherst just north of Ontario, not far from la Maison de Radio-Canada, where there was an exhibit on imagining a sustainable city. It was free for Earth Day and until Sunday.

To get in the bitching and moaning (and whingeing) I'll say that today was quite chilly, grey and painful after yesterday's lovely sun and I ache all over. Nuff said. I'm going to bed soon, with my cat.

Boom Boom, where you live it is windy by definition. But you also have fresh air!
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
True! Never any smog here. But that pastrami and cheese I had for supper was the first I've had this year. I don't know if the store will order them again, but we'll see. :drool:

Return To TAT