Author Topic: Dumb Ass Award  (Read 20105 times)

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »
Assuming that the 'substance' he was abusing was common sense or logic
 :D
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

kuri

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 10:24:39 PM »
Apparently the racist incident at comedy club The Improv was not the first time Michael Richards, better known as his character Kramer, has gone off at the audience and uttered things he shouldn't have.  Reports are coming out that in April he had shouted anti-semitic remarks at the audience in much the same way.  Richards' publicist confirmed that Richards did make the remarks but that it was part of his act, but audience members don't feel that that was the case.

Indiescribe

lagatta

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 11:05:47 PM »
Why do people always think mental-health issues are due to "substance abuse"?

Indeed, many mentally-ill people may well seek solace there, compounding their problems, but often the root cause lies far deeper.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »
Actually, I guessed substance abuse mostly because he's an actor... which is it's own prejudice I suppose. But celebrities and coke seem to go together.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »
A couple of days ago I ended up on the Letterman site (don't ask; long story) and saw that they had a clip of Richards' appearance (long distance), talking to Letterman and Richards' friend Jerry Seinfeld, who'd convinced Letterman to give the guy a chance to talk and apologize.

I found it very moving, actually. He seems stunned, although entirely rational. The more I listened to him, the more I was thinking of Lenny Bruce, which is a long and similarly affecting story. Bruce was ferociously funny, but his humour arose from personal fury as well as an exceptionally keen and brave political critique. Put the two together and you had explosions -- of genius, but also of self-destruction. Mind you, you could say the same thing of Jonathan Swift, eg (who probably ended up with dementia, or maybe it was tinnitus bad enough to drive him bananas).

I don't mean to make the romantic argument about artistic genius being allied to madness, although there are so many examples. There are counter-examples too -- Tom Lehrer was a near contemporary of Bruce's with a similarly fierce take on American politics and a similarly sharp wit, and yet he did not consume himself.

But watching and listening to Richards, I was starting to make some sense of what he did. He was trying something outrageous in his act and it just wasn't working -- it was a dumb gambit (dumb in the way that a lot of pop music is, actually), and he tried to get out of it by going even further over the top.

At the same time, there seems no question that his comedy comes from a space of some personal anger.

Maybe he self-medicates -- a lot of people do. And I agree with lagatta that that explains nothing to anyone except, maybe, the psychiatrists who have a vested interest in creating angelically mindless categories like "substance abuse."  

Anyway. I hope he pulls out of this. It was an interesting segment to watch, and I ended up feeling a lot of respect for Jerry Seinfeld.

James

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 02:02:30 AM »
skdadl, your respect for Jerry Seinfeld  may be somewhat tempered by knowing that the re;ease of a dvd of Seinfeld replays is imminent, so he has a huge financial interest in defusing this eruption.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 06:42:50 AM »
Well, yes, I can imagine that, although do we think that Seinfeld fans are less likely to want to watch the shows over? I can certainly live without them, but I would think a lot of people would be even more curious to watch Richards/Kramer again, looking for signs of something.

Anyway, it was interesting and affecting to hear them talk.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 07:01:31 AM »
I canit imagine why anyone would want to shell out for Seinfeld DVDs, given that the series is available somewhere on replay at any one moment. I've been watching replays of this series for years now, probably have seen every episode. I'm starting to avoid the series because it's just not funny anymore - a bunch of whiny New Yorkers, basically. The only one who now interests me in the slightest is Julia Louis-Dreyfuss - I think she's the best of the lot.

kuri

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »
Stolen from babble, I expected this story to make me mad but instead it made me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No Fat Chicks

Ok, so first the actual story.

Spath’s a busy guy, so he paid a dating service to cull the fat chicks from his dating pool. All was well when he lived in Miami, where the ratio of slim chicks to fat chicks is apparently much higher. But when he moved home to Orlando this past spring, the same dating service he used in South Florida wasn’t providing him “high-quality” women. “Big boobs, big ass, kinda chunky,” is how he describes the single ladies of Events and Adventures of Orlando.

Spath says he was promised that he’d be mingling with sophisticated, professional — and slim — women. Instead his potential pairings were “predominantly and severely overweight, and of low social economic status.”

And so, this being America, he filed a lawsuit. Spath wants his money back.

What an asshat, eh? But then it gets better. He's actually a delusionally, inane asshat!

Kurt Spath thinks Kurt Spath is quite the catch.

“I do,” he says. “Without being so superficial, I mean, I do. I’m 36, never married, 6 feet, 2 inches, about 200 pounds. I’ve even got a profile on Match.com.”

On Match.com, where he goes by the screen name “I_Am_Employed,” Spath describes himself as a “dog person.” He likes to cook, and is one of those people who, when they write “I like to cook,” follows it with “BAM!” Favorite things? “Browsing the tool corral at Home Depot. GRUNT! All they need is cocktail service and I would never leave.”

He’s an insurance adjuster by profession. And if you think that sounds boring, you don’t know Kurt Spath. “I work in a fun part of the industry!” he writes on the site, “adjusting. But, I admit, I am evil, I cheer when a hurricane vacuumes up a trailer park because it makes me $$$$$$$.”

:lol:  :roll: What a tool.

Okay, sorry, snark over, but this just made me laugh.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:18 AM »
it seems to be the perfect time ask Spath the obvious question: Why not just go out to the bars and pick up girls like everybody else?

“Because I pay not to have to,” he answers with a grin. “I like them to corral them so I can pick. Y’know, gather ’em up and go hunting!”

What a Total Jerk. Run, girls! Run!

Croghan27

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
I knew a lady in Fort McMurray - she was large .... serious large, in fact it eventually killed her.

But she had a daughter - she was large too. Daughter ran off to the Peace River country and got a job. A job with a "dating agency" specializing in large women.

About a week later I received a phone call from her asking if I could come up with some bail for her ... she was busted on a criminal assault charge.

As I heard later, she went on her first date to a motel there and her conversation with the "date' ended abruptly with:

"YOU WANNA WHAT?"

and she mashed him into the floor.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »
Hmm, any ideas as to why this fine catch is still single?

I don't get it. Any dating service I've heard of does already allow people to specify age, race, height, weight, occupation etc.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Hmm, any ideas as to why this fine catch is still single?
He is alone of all his kind, the rest of his species being extinct.  Can't imagine why ...  :roll:

Croghan27

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »
perhaps he neglected to mention something about his problem drooling and premature ejaculation.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 04:13:21 AM »
Hey - its' Friday the 13th.

Anybody have any Friday the 13th stories - that none of us will believe because none of us a a tad superstitious, even as we cross our fingers,  :D . Nope - not superstitious, not me, not thee .... none 'a that around here.  :lol:

Bread & Roses Forum

Dumb Ass Award
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 04:13:21 AM »

Return To TAT