Author Topic: The Obama transition and cabinet  (Read 9640 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: The Obama transition and cabinet
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
Here is part 1 of Amy Goodman's interview, broadcast yesterday, with Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, the first interview they've given since their names, his especially, were dragged through the mud repeatedly by Sarah Palin and John McCain (remember him?).

Apparently there will be a part 2, although that was plenty for me. Ayers and Dohrn are obviously two thoughtful, intelligent people, and I have no problem with most of what they say, although I think they do a bit of fancy footwork on their own pasts and the history of the Weatherman. There are lines most of us can't forget -- Dohrn's reported statement about the Manson/LaBianca killings, eg -- but then we all do stupid things when we're young. They aren't coming completely clean when they say that no one died because of Weatherman projects, or that they never intended anyone to die. It doesn't matter what you intended if someone actually does die, and a nail bomb ain't no birthday card.

They are right, though, about the desperate anger that people felt over the war especially and the race wars in the U.S. When you know for sure that your cops are murdering people at will, what do you do?

Bill is also kinda verbose for me; she is a much better speaker, always was. She also looks terrific for a woman our age (she would be about three years older than I am).

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
Quote from: pogge
Via Josh Marshall, Bill Richardson has had discussions with Obama about State.

I dunno--does anyone know if Bill Richardson ever addressed the sexual harassment allegations that Steve Clemons brought up in January '07?
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
Ye gods and little fishes.

Now, you know that I don't belong to the Chicken Little camp. I don't think that anyone can tell yet where Obama is headed on much, and I doubt that Rahm Emanuel is much of a policy indicator.

However, I did know that Emanuel is a bastard. I just didn't realize how much of a bastard. Caveat: that interview is two years old. But still. He wants (or wanted) to militarize the U.S. in just the way that Israel is militarized. He doesn't say that, but that's what he's describing. Or ... and we can all think of historical examples.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
From "The Plan" :
A nation is defined not by what it does for its citizens but by what it asks of them. If your leaders aren't challenging you to do your part, they aren't doing theirs. We need a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us by establishing for the first time an ethic of universal citizen service. All Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 should be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic civil defense training and community service. This is not a draft, nor is it military. Young people will be trained not as soldiers, but simply as citizens who understand their responsibilities in the event of a natural disaster, an epidemic or a terrorist attack. Universal citizen service will bring Americans of every background together to make America safer and more united in common purpose.

I'll be interested to see how closely Obama's plan to mandate 50 hours of community service per year for middle and high school students follows this.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 07:20:03 PM »
That's a bit unnerving.

I'm chuckling over this

Bush indicated at the meeting that he might support some aid and a broader economic stimulus package if Obama and congressional Democrats dropped their opposition to a free-trade agreement with Colombia," claimed the TIMES.

Obama is being blamed for the leaks by Bush.

As well as Flaherty/McGuinty/Clement are in lockstep with Obama's preferrence in bailing out the Big 3, (on condition) producing products that are highly sought after and that are friendlier to the environment. Big 3 and Colombia free trade, lockstep.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »
Himself seems to have started a series of weekly chats.

He should try moving to the fireside, eh?

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »
The Hearth eh. Really just the Business Party/Class. Unite. sux. Why do parties even bother with names anyway? The Libs/Cons/NDP/Dems/Repugs, all the same, The Business Party. The headlines scream it, but no one has time to notice it.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
Quote from: Toedancer
The Hearth eh. Really just the Business Party/Class. Unite. sux. Why do parties even bother with names anyway? The Libs/Cons/NDP/Dems/Repugs, all the same, The Business Party. The headlines scream it, but no one has time to notice it.

You don't seriously think the NDP are the same do you?  Seriously?
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Digby on the press & its latest excuse to hyperventilate and novelize the latest doin's (and non-doin's, as it were).

Oh, and Joe Trippi can go *$#%# hisself:
Joe Trippi just said on CNN that he thinks Obama should ask McCain to join the administration as well. (What do you think? Special envoy to Tehran?) This is because "Obama only won 52%" of the vote and he needs to be sure he doesn't get "too cocky." GOP strategist Leslie Sanchez agreed wholeheartedly, pointing out that he must resist the crazy left and govern from the center. Trippi nodded sagely.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
Quote from: arborman
Quote from: Toedancer

You don't seriously think the NDP are the same do you?  Seriously?

Now I do, srsly. Another thread eh. Not this one. There are a few I trust, but not many.
eta - and we gots to differeniate between prov/fed.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »
The bipartisan thing, Kitty: it is driving me 'round the bend. When do we get past "heads, I win; tails, you lose" with the villagers? God, I hope that Obama is smarter than that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 07:54:04 PM »
The Guardian is reporting that Hillary will be SoS.

I know, I know ... Fool me once, ... etc

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Just thought I'd mention I see Wikipedia is deleting pages on Rahm Emanuel's father I guess the man's glory days are too controversial.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
Wikipedia isn't deleting the page; someone connected to BE is doing it. The good thing about Wikipedia is that they keep a public record of who makes what revisions; as you can see there, two different individuals on three occasions have deleted Benjamin Emanuel's page, and all this is being discussed in the public discussion sections. Your guess is as good as mine, but mine is that someone is just being silly and decisions will be taken soon about what to restore and keep up. I think this happens a lot with family stuff.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »
Oh well thanks for that, where is it being discussed?
Nevmind, duh.

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

Return To TAT