Author Topic: eye-opener to poverty for Providence students in Clarksville  (Read 1638 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
eye-opener to poverty for Providence students in Clarksville
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
This is a great program. I think it should be adopted for all schools. Of course I also think they should bring back Home Ec. and shop just not gender split them this time. They taught kids the basics of cooking, budgeting and fixing instead of just tossing stuff out.

Katie Flanagan examined the few fake dollars left in her hand and cards representing items worth money — such as furniture and jewelry — as she waited to pawn a couple items to help make ends meet Wednesday.

“This is stressful,” the 17-year-old student mumbled to herself. “This would really be a bad life.”

Flanagan, as well as the other 115 juniors in the social justice class at Our Lady of Providence Junior-Senior High School, got a reality check on what it meant to live in poverty through a hands-on simulation headed by the Coalition for the Homeless from Louisville.

All students were given a role based on a real person living in poverty. Flanagan played a 36-year-old divorced man whose wife left him with their disabled daughter and 13-year-old son, who often acted out.

“It really sheds some light on how some people live,” she said.

http://www.newsandtribune.com/schools/l ... 34424.html
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: eye-opener to poverty for Providence students in Clarksville
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
It's ok if that program is teaching teenagers to manage money and to think twice about life-changing decisions like having children, but I hope it does more than that.

Some hard truths:

1. Poor people just don't have enough money. It's hard to get around that basic fact. "Managing" your money becomes impossibly tough when you're faced with the choices the role-players learn about in that program.

2. Bureaucracy. We make it nightmarishly difficult for people to get even the help they're entitled to. A lot of the homeless have just given up because they can't wend their ways through the system, and boy, can I empathize with that impulse.

More?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
It's ok if that program is teaching teenagers to manage money and to think twice about life-changing decisions like having children, but I hope it does more than that.

Some hard truths:

1. Poor people just don't have enough money. It's hard to get around that basic fact. "Managing" your money becomes impossibly tough when you're faced with the choices the role-players learn about in that program.

2. Bureaucracy. We make it nightmarishly difficult for people to get even the help they're entitled to. A lot of the homeless have just given up because they can't wend their ways through the system, and boy, can I empathize with that impulse.

More?

I read a quote one time from someone who said that had tried both rich and poor .... and problem with poor was that it was so damned inconvenient.

That comes out with the single mother on welfare that has to go to meeting with her 'worker' - but friend worker is somewhere downtown and the two dollars seventy five cents for the bus fare is onerous .. (even if sometimes Welfare does provide tickets) - and a baby sitter to mind the child until she gets back ....  

I have known people who's entire wardrobe, such as it was, was ruined by the leaking pipes/roof of the lousy places they have to stay because city housing has a list going back 5 years. Try and get a special disbursement to replace that!

Lord forbid that some family member die somewhere .... travel funds are close to non-existent.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
The wardrobe and compassionate travel problems also apply to low-paid or precarious workers, and the wardrobe problem can mean getting the sack.

All these COMPLICATIONS are important in understanding that there is no "involuntary simplicity". There is a lot of good to be said about simplicity, less stuff, reducing footprint and all that, but it takes, if not wealth, a degree of security.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT