Author Topic: The GOP  (Read 3821 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
The GOP
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »
Had to start a new thread as I couldn't find a place for my morning funny.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/22/mis ... -buchanan/

h/t Canadian Cynic.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: The GOP
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »
lol.

The ignorance behind the bigotry is palpable, isn't it? Some of these guys are running on so much hate, and of course not a lot of background in the language at all.

I'm trying not to be scared.   :hides:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
Some of the police officers in my neighbourhood speak four languages, though their corps is not known for intellectualism... Sure doesn't hurt them.

The US stole large parts of Mexico, so why shouldn't Spanish be a common language in those areas, from Texas to California?

And what a strange way to define the working class in the 21st century. The most recent general strike, on MAY DAY - which started in Chicago, by the way, was led by Hispanic USians for recognition of undocumented workers. Though it is even sadder that this rightwing racist shite is just about the only faction speaking about the working class at all in the US.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Maybe the GOP will be the party to change sexual politics in America? I dunno, maybe just wishful thinking, but this has been somewhat interesting.

Sanford was widely regarded as a Republican presidential contender. Many of you may have forgotten this, but for a while in 2008 he was a serious candidate to be John McCain’s running mate. (We now stop briefly to contemplate the possibility that there were even worse options than Sarah Palin.) Now, he’s become the second GOP hopeful in a week to do a swan dive off the adultery cliff. Perhaps the party has been too strict about the no-girlfriends-while-running-for-president rule. If they don’t drop it, pretty soon the youngest contender will be 75.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »
That is an extremely funny piece of writing -- thanks for the link, brebis noire. I was laughing partly in spite of myself because I'm already reading that there actually is some political import to all this, and Collins hasn't got that far yet.

Sanford, like Senator Ensign last week, is part of something known as "The Family," and has lived at a mansion in Washington known as "the C-Street house." Yes, we're talking an odd group of fundamentalists here, but we also seem to be talking shadowy fascist organization. When I've read more and can explain this better, I will.

But at least on the sex parts, Collins is funny.

(When the governor said “I’ll tell you more detail than you’ll ever want” it was actually easy to believe him.)

perhaps it is time to rethink the idea of constantly electing middle-aged heterosexual men to positions of high importance.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
:lol:

I heard a segment of the press conference...talk about unintentional comedy.

At one point he said "one more question"...answered it...then solicited for "any more questions?"

Seriously though...I thought he was a selfish prick for bleating on and on, unloading his shame, wingnuttery, whatever, etc. onto the public.  Mr. "family values" goes AWOL on Father's Day weekend...not exactly caving in a moment of weakness, but following his [s:dfd3fedn]dick[/s:dfd3fedn] heart all the way to Argentina and subjecting his wife, kids and, horrors of all horrors, the imploding Republican "brand" to the confessional that he seemed to enjoy the more it droned on.

The Democrats are so much better at this stuff.  Get caught.  Terse statement.  Nothing much to see here folks - personal matter between the involved parties - nothing much to see here, move along.  Generally the "guilty" party wasn't one of the impose morality onto others types so the hypocrisy factor isn't in play.  Of course, these days it seems like sex scandals are the baileywick of the Republican party.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »
I often feel guilty for laughing at the sex parts, because really, who should care, but then there are the hypocrisy parts, and there you keep hoping that numbers of people will see teh problem with right-wingnuts.

It's funny -- I can think of two recent episodes in Canada, one of which drew a lot of attention and the other of which didn't. Vic Toews, former justice minister and still prezzie of Treasury Board, just an appalling social conservative whose position on most of us is that we deserve to be punished, had a child "out of wedlock" last year and left his long-time wife. Coverage in the msm? *crickets* Maxime Bernier, single guy, dates admittedly indiscreet woman with interesting background and connections. Coverage in the msm? Gazillions of cleavage shots.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
My name is Toe and I admit to finding and reading the e-mails between them  :oops:
I wonder if he really went down to break up or do closure like I sometimes did, to include why we did it in the first place  :oops:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
Hope has met reality

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Palin has announced that she is going to be resigning as governor. Don't know any more than that yet.

I got halfway through that piece from Vanity Fair and suddenly asked self, "Self, why are we reading this?" and so we quit. Did I miss anything?

Srsly, I think there must be sumpin' more srs going down.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Srsly, I think there must be sumpin' more srs going down.
Perhaps this?

Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin?

Max Blumenthal in the Daily Beast:
CNN and other major news outlets have reported that Sarah Palin has abruptly resigned as governor of Alaska. The suddenness of her announcement raises the question about whether Palin resigned to avert a major scandal. One logical place to start looking is the affair that has Alaska political circles buzzing: an alleged scandal centered around a building contractor, Spenard Building Supplies, with close ties to Palin and her husband, Todd.

Many political observers in Alaska are fixated on rumors that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home on pristine Lake Lucille in 2002. The home was built just two months before Palin began campaigning for governor, a job which would have provided her enhanced power to grant building contracts in the wide-open state.

SBS has close ties to the Palins. The company has not only sponsored Todd Palin's snowmobile team, according to the Village Voice's Wayne Barrett, it hired Sarah Palin to do a statewide television commercial in 2004. ...
Hope has met reality

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Now that there is not chance of McCain becoming the Pres. He is beginning to sound like a President. He did not lose by very much - probably more from a Sarah factor than anything he, himself did. As it was, almost 60,000,000 Americans voted for him.

He whacks Cheney and sound just like Obama with the 'don't look back' routine.  
In a strong pushback against claims made by former Vice President Dick Cheney, Sen. John McCain insisted on Sunday that the use of torture on terrorism suspects violated international law, didn't work, and actually helped al Qaeda recruit additional members.

Youtuber  ;)  video From HuffPost.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:50:45 AM »

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
I know! I know! The democrats are just as sleazy as the GOP is, but they are not the 'support the troops' party .....

Here is a delightful little story from Today in the Military.

A manhunt is on for an alleged scam artist who may have made off with more than $100 million in donations to a charity for Navy veterans.

Now this begins as a simple narritive of some crook ..... no party has a lock on crookedness ..... Rangle was found guilty today .... even if a hundred million is a tad large.

BUT ... here is what happened to some of the money and why it is a political story:

Records show Thompson pumped more than $200,000 into the campaign coffers of top Republican politicians. The donations got him handshakes and photos with President George W. Bush; Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.; and Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, who is expected to be named Speaker of the House when the new Congress convenes

and

Dozens of politicians, nearly all Republican, accepted money from Thompson or from a political action committee he established called NAVPAC. Most of the recipients have since returned the money or donated it to actual charitable groups, ABC reported. A spokesman for Boehner, Michael Steel, told ABC that the congressman "didn't know this guy was a fraud."

and they did not know the gun was loaded, either.  :o
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »

Return To TAT