Author Topic: Micro$oft made a boo-boo  (Read 1740 times)

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
Micro$oft made a boo-boo
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
I got this via the Linux Open Source Users of Regina Saskatchewan (LOSURS) email list.  Seems M$ is being sued for violating General Public License (GPL) agreement.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Micro$oft made a boo-boo
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
I think this story is just developing - I have no idea how far it will go.

An even bigger potential intelligence leak: Microsoft

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), the world’s largest software company, provides intelligence agencies with information about bugs in its popular software before it publicly releases a fix, according to two people familiar with the process. That information can be used to protect government computers and to access the computers of terrorists or military foes. Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft (MSFT) and other software or Internet security companies have been aware that this type of early alert allowed the U.S. to exploit vulnerabilities in software sold to foreign governments, according to two U.S. officials.

Microsoft doesn’t ask and can’t be told how the government uses such tip-offs, said the officials, who asked not to be identified because the matter is confidential.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:08:48 AM by Boom Boom »

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Re: Micro$oft made a boo-boo
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
I think this story is just developing - I have no idea how far it will go.

An even bigger potential intelligence leak: Microsoft

Wouldn't surprise me a bit and there might be even more to the story. MS has a long history of including undocumented calls in their operating systems -- services their own programmers can call but third party software companies aren't supposed to know about. I still have my copy of the original Undocumented DOS, a book written years ago by a group of programmers who reverse engineered DOS and shared what they found. I wonder if MS is still doing it and sharing with security agencies.

Return To TAT