Author Topic: People who have nothing to talk about except  (Read 52193 times)

People who have nothing to talk about except
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:13:57 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Everybody's baby:

GAAAAHHHH take him away, take him away from me.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
Oh, good, skdadl. I missed that face. And, eph, he's not a baby. I don't know what he is, but he's not a baby.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
Indeed he isn't - he's a miracle.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 04:32:14 PM »
eph, if you don't behave, I shall post my own baby pictures.

You've seen topless before. Beware of the bottomless.   :wink:

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
Okay, let me make something clear here. This is not a thread to talk about babies. It is a thread to talk about people who talk about babies. Capiche?

Don't be testing my patience today. I am filled with road rage. Can you believe the nerve? Three drivers pull up in front of me today while I am riding my bike ever so close to the sidewalk, and then they... they stop. Just like that. They just stop. And I am stuck. So, don't test my patience, ya hear me. Now, thwap and I are once again going to try that restaurant that is never open. I am dying to know what they serve.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
I think that's Yoda, no?

"When this full your pants are, this good you will look, hmm?"
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
Oooh, threatened again. The Wrath of Gigi. Now, the rage of eph.

OK, here's something about people who talk about babies. Long time ago, a gf of mine had a baby. I went to visit them. She told me that her partner had taken photos during the birth and did I want to see them? Yeeesh, I thought and my face must have reflected it. She said quickly: 'Don't worry, there are no crotch shots.'

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »
When I worked at Black's, we used to get birth photos occasionally, sometimes including all the gory details.

I used to always want to say "We have a special on photo mugs and t-shirts this week.  I bet that shot where it looks like you're passing a barbecued duck would make a great gift!"
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 04:48:39 PM »
eph, is it ok if we talk about people who talk obsessively about other things? Comme ça?

Quote from: webactivist
We had a tornado rip through my community on Monday afternoon and we were without power, telephone and internet service for 3 entire days.

That meant I had no choice but to sit around and talk with the locals where the discussion centred around the alien creatures our teenagers have become, the housing market,  home renovations/upgrades (i.e. the clickie freaking floors).  Never realized how out of touch I am with the local Stepford Wives.

Conversation with this group used to focus on who was dating who, who was screwing who, who was splitting up, but more often than not, when it isn't about the shit in previous paragraph, it is now focused on who was diagnosed with something serious and who has died.

Goddess, I sure hope this is not an indication of what I have to look forward to in my old age.  It's enough to drive one to drink.

Join the club, eh?   :wink:

I've never thought that it was just parents who became conversational monomaniacs, although I see why that becomes tempting for them -- I mean, the wee bairns are cute, and for a time looking after them is sort of all-consuming.

I would rather not belong to the healthcare monomaniac crew, but perforce I do. Everyone I know has ... something or other; often they talk about whatever it is most interestingly, and I have learned a lot that way, but it's true that our conversations would probably be comical (or deeply boring) to any well-intentioned alien come to visit and find out what life on earth is like.

So I always try to shift the conversation to something more lively -- like the current slaughter in Lebanon, for example. For some reason, this is the only place I get any takers.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »
for those that have no children let me enlighten you. Life stops wth children, no really it does. There is absolutely nothing you can do that doesn't first involve considering the children.

Want to go to a restaurant, well can we afford it, can we get/afford babysitting and so on.

And if I can be permitted a moment of cattiness sometimes when ya'll are on about how you didn't get into your favorite club, or had to take two seconds out of your way when you really wanted to do something else, or how you finally got that perfect pair of shoes which we saw too but spent the money on shoes for the kids, or finally got that five bedroom house for the two of you while we are living 5 to a two bedroom,  we parents have a little eye roll to ourselves as well.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 05:15:59 PM »
Och, Debra, hen, and I've never doubted what you say.

I've also never doubted that everyone's children are my children. I'm a citizen; we need them; I welcome them, and the ships they have sailed in. I wish it weren't so hard all 'round.

The last thing that good citizens need to be doing is competing with each other, especially when the bluidy robber barons are hoping they can distract us in just that way.

But life can stop for so many things. It's important to remember that too.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »
LOL! Touche Debra.

When I think of it, I am obsessed with bitching about downtown Winnipeg here in the windy city. When I return to Ottawa, I spend my time convincing my friends how wonderful it is to live in the 'Peg. But most of all, I think I have a penchant for annoying others no matter what the subject of conversation  :D
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »
Once, many years ago now, I spent an evening listening to an old friend holding forth almost non-stop about his work, his new marriage, and all he was learning about real estate, he and his new wife having just bought a house. For an hour or so I, silent the whole time, except for making sympathetic noises, had been thinking to self, "Be tolerant, skdadl; be patient; you really like these people, and this too shall pass."

And then suddenly, out of the blue, dear old friend turned to me and said, "You know, we can't get over how many of our old friends have become monomaniacs. It's so sad, don't you think?"

Sure, sure. Whatever you say, kiddo.   :mrgreen:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »
and you didn't spit wine all over his shoes how?  :lol:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
I liked him then, and I would still like him now, I'm sure.

I'm, y'know, tolerant.   :wink:

And I suppose that I have been a bore in my time. Not now, of course.   :wink:

Return To TAT