Author Topic: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes  (Read 21325 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »
By the way, our municipality is investigating the effects on local businesses all along the Lower North Shore of the overly mild winter we had. Usually the entire coastline population travels back and forth every winter on skidoos, but this year was a bust. There may be financial compensation for businesses which lost significant revenue this past winter because of the lack of snow.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom;182266
By the way, our municipality is investigating the effects on local businesses all along the Lower North Shore of the overly mild winter we had. Usually the entire coastline population travels back and forth every winter on skidoos, but this year was a bust. There may be financial compensation for businesses which lost significant revenue this past winter because of the lack of snow.

Would they actually compensate oil dealers for the loss of oil sales for two cycle engines? :hat:

I hadda friend that raced snow machines ... he would stop me and correct me if I referred to them as skidoos ..... that is a brand name and he had no use for their product. (He used to race against Gilles Villeneuve.)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »
As I understand, anyone impacted by the extremely mild winter with a valid claim that can be backed up with sales receipts from previous years, could be compensated. These are fragile small communities, Croggy, and some folks barely get by, including some retailers I imagine. Retailers here have to stock up ahead of time as the supply ship goes into drydock from mid-January to the first week of April. Thus, with few people travelling because of no snow for skidoos to use, they're stuck now with expired stock. Actually, I think the first claims to be considered will be for retailers with expired stock.

ps: 'skidoo' is indeed a brand name, but it's also considered to be a generic term.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom;182275
snip
ps: 'skidoo' is indeed a brand name, but it's also considered to be a generic term.

:laugh:

Can only refer you to him - I, indeed, took it as a generic term, like Kleenex for nose wipe .. but he got quite agitated, having no use for the Bombardier product.
:pound:

I have only been on one in my life and then uncomfortably so - has their popularly not been eclipsed by teh (now) ubiquitous 'quad'?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
Bombardier is by far the most popular make here on the coast. The worst of them all is probably Arctic Cat. Polaris and Bombarier are about the same quality. Yamaha is the most expensive I think, but I consider them overrated. All of them have problems eventually, and all are a pain in the ass to fix, including Bombardier.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
Quote from: Croghan27;182277
- has their popularly not been eclipsed by teh (now) ubiquitous 'quad'?

What's a 'quad'???

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom;182279
What's a 'quad'???

:)

I guess they are not as ubiquitous as I supposed - they are all over Fort McMurray.
They began life a three wheeled vehicles, but so many tipped over and injured folks that the extra wheel was added for stability: three + one = quad. Their power plant is the same as a snowmobile - think of a skidoo without treads.

They are rather useful in the woods, as they can manoeuvre over all sorts of terrain - even a certain amount of snow. The TV ads for them shows them hauling logs and carrying industrial equipment.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
That's more properly called an ATV, Croggy. Lots of them here - almost everyone has one.

ETA: I forgot to mention - one of our senior citizens flipped his four wheel ATV yesterday and had to be airlifted out by helicopter to the air ambulance in Natshquan. I think he has a fractured skull and dislocated shoulder, among other injuries. He's been riding ATV's for almost 40 years.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:52:57 PM by Boom Boom »

deBeauxOs

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
This G&M news article also has aerial photos of the sinkhole, roughly 1 km by .5 km in size.  The article does not say, but I'd guess that the basement of the house was filled with soil and water; the Préfontaine family members must have been crushed or asphyxiated by the mud that flooded their home.

The article also has explanations about the geological and climate factors that may have caused this.  

Link to Leda Clay information site, here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:29:26 PM by deBeauxOs »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »
We also remember that today marks exactly four months since the horrific earthquake in Haiti.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
This ash cloud has some amazing qualities, in fact it must be a magical ash cloud it seems able to defy pyhsics. :dots
But after the latest airport closures over the weekend, airlines criticised the amended regulations.
BA chief executive Mr Walsh said: "I am very concerned that we have decisions on opening and closing of airports based on a theoretical model.
"There was no evidence of ash in the skies over London today, yet Heathrow was closed."
'Beyond a joke'
He said that airlines flew safely in other parts of the world where there was volcanic activity.
"If we can do it in every other part of the world, I can assure you we can do it in the UK as well."
On Sunday, Virgin Atlantic president Sir Richard Branson called the closure of Manchester airport "beyond a joke".
"All the test flights by airlines, aircraft and engine manufacturers have shown no evidence that airlines could not continue to fly completely safely," he said.
CAA chief executive Andrew Haines said: "It's the CAA's job to ensure the public is kept safe by ensuring safety decisions are based on scientific and engineering evidence; we will not listen to those who effectively say: 'Let's suck it and see.'"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:46:57 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
I'm not sure why, but this unfolding fire disaster in Russia is making me very weepy. My heart goes out to the entire country.   :crying
If they have banned any wheat exports til December, then I have to assume it is radioactive?

Russia fires pose nuclear threat, death toll hits 50  Jeeze it's getting close to Chernobyl.

For a vid and Chernobyl http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-08-06/russia-wildfires-contamination-emergency.html
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »
I think the ban on wheat exports is because of crop failures due to the weather; they need all the wheat they have for themselves.

ETA: Here's an article about it:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/03/2127213/russian-wheat-crop-in-dire-straits.html

So the price of wheat is going up.

ETA again; Canada is also producing less wheat because of weather, but FAO says the drop in world production is not a big worry yet.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/44570/icode/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:31:20 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
I think the ban on wheat exports is because of crop failures due to the weather; they need all the wheat they have for themselves.

Indeed HS, good thinking. Meantime I couldn't help but look and it's dire, more dire than the Gulf methinks. I'm having physical pain over it, not just mental/emotional, maybe I was a good babushka in another life, LOL, I dunno. Asphyxiated, Moscow appealed for volunteers to fight against fires

According to observations made by the Terra satellite, reported by NASA,   the “lights are such that they form pyrocumulus”, a type of cloud   usually associated with volcanic eruptions. “If this were the United   States, the smoke would extend approximately from Chicago to San   Francisco,” said NASA in a statement

I read some big navy guys got fired cuz they spoke about communications, military jets got burnt to ground. Here are some samples of pyrocumulus clouds Clouds, man clouds just don't get enuf play.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
I don't think it is about radioactivity. Remember, Russia/the former Soviet Union/the Russian Empire/Ukraine endured several horrific famines in the last century - not all of them deliberately or callously caused by Stalin, or imperialist agression.

Remember that we had more than a taste of the same thing here this spring with major forest fires in la Haute Mauricie region, and I kept waking up at night with my throat full of smoke (and at first, wondering where on earth the fire was). Think the air quality here in Montréal was the worst ever, and this at a time of year when the forest floor in that central-northern Québec region would normally still have snow cover.

Of course the Russian situation is many times worse, but it reminds us that global warming is not just impacting equatorial countries and the High Arctic. A lot of people in northerly climes (including myself) are actually subjectively very happy about the milder winters and generally warmer temps, but this does cause us problems, although they are still a long way from the floods in Pakistan...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »

Return To TAT