Author Topic: Blogger technical difficulties  (Read 3155 times)

saraline

• View Profile
    • http://newfeministmom.blogspot.com
Blogger technical difficulties
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
I'm not sure if I should post this here or on help desk. I need some help with my blog because I'm having some technical problems with font on blogger.

I just uploaded a new template for my blog, and it looks great, except that the font is all over the place. My most recent post is a perfect example of this:

http://newfeministmom.blogspot.com/2010/04/to-stay-home-or-not-to-stay-home.html

The start of the post has the default font for the new template , but then when I quote text from another site, the font changes for the rest of the post. Then the font for the comments is just awful! I can barely read it. I don't like the font in the sidebar for "about me," "links," etc. either. How do I fix this?
"Oh. My. God. I SO can\'t believe you just said that! I smoked like once for two years when I was like nine and I only drink to numb the pain in my worthless life so you\'re well out of order!"

-Vicky Pollard

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Do you know how to find your style.css?

If you do look for this

#comment-content{

and change to this

Code: [Select]
#comment-content{
padding: 0 0px 25px 10px;
font-family:garamond,times,serif;
font-size: 1em;
line-height: 1em;
}

That will solve comments

quotes that aren't boxed usually have a bigger or smaller font, in this case going smaller would be unreadable. So how do you want to proceed with that?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
Quote from: Debra;181277
Do you know how to find your style.css?

It may have changed since I was on Blogger -- it was quite a few years ago -- but at the time there was no separate style sheet. The style info may be in the head area of the html template. One of the biggest surprises for me when I switched to Movable Type was the way the presentation layer is organized.

saraline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »
Thank you, Debra, the comments look much better now!

The main problem that I have with the quotes is that they change the font for the rest of the post, so the font at the beginning looks different from any font that is after a quote. I made a new post today and wrote the entire post first without any formatting, and then I highlighted the text in the quote and clicked the quote button. The text after the quote was still the same font as the quote and not the rest of the post.

Pogge, I know that blogger did make some changes within the past couple of years and now there's a "new blogger." I don't know how different it is from the old blogger though.
"Oh. My. God. I SO can\'t believe you just said that! I smoked like once for two years when I was like nine and I only drink to numb the pain in my worthless life so you\'re well out of order!"

-Vicky Pollard

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »
Your blockquotes apparently have no styling, and the reason the para after the one blockquote has larger text is because it isn't wrapped in p tags
<p></p>
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

saraline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
Debra, thank you so much! That solves that problem. :)

I posted about my issues on the blogger help forum too, and some guy suggested that I upload my template all over again. I'm glad that I saved myself the frustration by not listening to him and asking here instead.

-Vicky Pollard

saraline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
One more question, how do I add styling for my blockquotes?

-Vicky Pollard

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »
I have your page source open in another tab right now and I see the style information in the head, right where I left it six years ago. For example this bit:
h1 {
font: 600 1.6em garamond,times,'times new roman',serif;
color: #725846;
margin: 0 0 10px 0;
}
This applies style information to whatever text is enclosed in h1 tags, which is one of the six standard html headline styles (along with h2, h3, etc.). And there's your syntax for any similar tag. So you can style your blockquotes by adding a section like this, just as an example:
blockquote {
font-family: georgia, verdana;
font-size: 15px;
font-style: italic;
margin-top: 10px;
}

Etc. When you find that you can't stop fiddling with it, welcome to the wonderful world of self-publishing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:45:23 PM by pogge »

saraline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »
I tried to change the quote text, but it didn't seem to work. (I tried to change it to the same font as the comments.) I think I'm going to take a break from working on my font and try again in a couple of weeks. ;) Thanks for the help, pogge and Debra!

-Vicky Pollard

saraline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »
Okay, have any other blogspot users been having trouble with comment moderation? There have been a couple of times now where I approved comments and they just disappeared. One was tonight and the other was a few weeks ago. They didn't publish onto my blog and they're no longer in the moderation cue. The first time I thought that maybe the person who commented deleted it, but it has happened twice now.

-Vicky Pollard

Return To TAT