Author Topic: Bradley Manning  (Read 8657 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Bradley Manning
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
We have 26 pages now for Wikileaks and JA. I was thinking perhaps we should start a new one on the reaction of these dumps, even if there won't be proper human rights violations probes/arrests etc.

I've been looking everywhere for some kind of reaction from the U.S. gob on the call from the UN asking for both the U.S. and Iraq to open up investigations on human rights violations.

The UN continues to call for U.S., Iraqi probe of Wikileaks reports

Defense Department spokesman Col. Dave Lapan told reporters the Pentagon   suspects Wikileaks may have even more classified U.S. data than   previously reported, but declined to characterize it.               

Well you'd think since they know that (and we know that) they'd get started before more very srs info is revealed in upcoming dumps. But instead we have the State Department saying Iraqi gov should probe abuses (gah I hate monsters & critics site) even if U.S. troops have witnessed abuse by Iraq military. So they are shrugging it off.

Remember the hearts and minds b.s. I've never understood why the U.S. and NATO did not demonstrate that Human Rights are not just a western idea, but are actually enshrined in their own religion. Remember the human rights commission in Afghanistan is not part of the government, it has been   written into the constitution. It is an instrument of the state but not   of the government. Why would the U.S./Canada/Britain/Nato not advice on that?

Torture   advisor Novak further said that just launching an investigation on what   happened in Iraq was not sufficient and called on U.S. President Barack   Obama to launch a detailed investigation to find out allegations of   torture against American intelligence and military officials.[/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l]

I await Obama's remarks, which I doubt he'll make, until after the mid-terms.
But I notice these probes/calls/urgings/ are becoming stronger.
Yikes, sorry I forgot the guardian article - When torture becomes routineIn the worst incidents, one can only reasonably conclude that one set of torturers and thugs has been replaced by another.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:36:54 AM by skdadl »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Human Rights Violations/Bradley Manning
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
This isn't specifically from the WL dump, but it didn't help and may help get a Public Inquiry.

from the Guardian

The unit, the creation of which was announced in March, comprises 80   staff including military investigators and former Scotland Yard homicide   detectives. A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The team is   investigating all alleged cases of abuse by UK service personnel in Iraq   and will identify any action that needs to be taken. We anticipate this   should take around two years."White has met Phil Shiner, of   Public Interest Lawyers, who will begin a case in the high court on   Friday on behalf of 142 Iraqis who claim they were abused by British   troops in the aftermath of the war to topple Saddam Hussein. This week's high court case, coming just one week after the release of   thousands of classified Iraq war documents on the whistleblower website   WikiLeaks, will determine whether a public inquiry should be ordered to   disclose the scale of alleged abuse of Iraqis detained by British   troops. MoD insiders hope White's inquiries will stem demands for a   public inquiry. Critics counter that only a wide-ranging and transparent   inquiry will guarantee that the true scale of the abuse comes to light.
One particularly lurid aspect of the claims is the sexualised techniques   allegedly used by British troops to intimidate and humiliate Iraqi   detainees. Shiner said: "Claims involve men and women, British troops   having sexual intercourse in front of them, men and men having sexual   intercourse."
training interrogators in techniques that include threats,   sensory deprivation and enforced nakedness in an apparent breach of the [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/geneva-conventions]Geneva conventions, the Guardian has discovered.[/url]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:43:57 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Human Rights Violations/Bradley Manning
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »
Manning forcing to strip naked for 7 hours

This is beneath contempt even for Quantico. The U.S. is now committing human rights violations. WTF has the UN got to say about this? Nothing. They are all despicable! It's time for a Great Escape.

This is the man to contact

Where the hell are the petitions? And is anybody reading them?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:44:17 AM by Toedancer »

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Human Rights Violations/Wikileaks Dump
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »
terrific work Toe.  :hug
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »
There are a lot of people active in support of Manning, and there's a lot of outrage, both about the new charges (which I wrote about on the other thread) and now this offence. FDL and Greenwald have been leaders as usual, but even the NY Times published on this story last night -- will find link when I can.

There's a problem with title of this thread. WL doesn't do "dumps" -- that's one of the ways they get demonized, and it's not true. Maybe we should just make this the Bradley Manning thread, since his story is unfortunately likely to keep on keeping on.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:42 AM »
There's a problem with title of this thread. WL doesn't do "dumps" -- that's one of the ways they get demonized, and it's not true. Maybe we should just make this the Bradley Manning thread, since his story is unfortunately likely to keep on keeping on.

Yes! Agreed.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley Manning
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »
Here's a great legal analysis of the section of the US military code (UCMJ) that will most likely be used against Manning. For wonks maybe, but it's very well written and logical.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
Anonymous is going after the military. Should be interesting.  :popcorn
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
A commenter at EW's place just suggested we organize support demos for Bradley at which we all strip. Nekkid.

It's a plan, Stan. Would definitely get media coverage.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
More on Anonymous and Manning.

As part of their plans, Anonymous will wage a   media war with those responsible for Manning’s conditions. Not only will   those at the Brig be singled out, but those who reported Manning to the   authorities will find themselves in the crosshairs as well. While the   actions will be non-violent, the repercussions could be severe for those   caught up in the fight.
Brown said that he and those working with him, which include   active-duty sources inside the military system, will start by doxing   those involved.
Doxing is a process that includes gathering as much information on a   target as possible, and releasing it to the public. In some cases, it is   kept out of the public and used for other reasons. Given the sheer mass   of information available on the Internet, there is very little a person   could hide. However, doxing also includes information gathering offline   as well.
"The Internet is a weapon. It’s already weaponized, and those of us   who know how to use this weapon have the advantage. I know who else was   involved in turning [Manning] in. I'm not sure what to do on that yet,   but we're speaking among ourselves abut that."
At this point, Brown says he wants the feds and other top people in   the U.S. Intel community to talk to him, “...so we can explain the   situation.”

Brown is a bit of a ''namefag'' as they say in Anonymous circles. Horrible term for self-promoter.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Adrian Lamo's reputation could hardly be worse, but I'm ok with Anonymous, ah, emphasizing that fact. I don't know for sure how deep Poulsen's involvement was, but, um ...

I know people are divided over Anonymous -- I think what we're supposed to say is that we neither endorse nor condemn their activities. So, ok: in public, that's what I'll say.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
 :))
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 04:22:12 AM »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Ellsberg wrote a fine piece in the Guardian yesterday about Manning, but look at the comments. There are many good ones, but close to half are from mouth-breathers, just incredibly bloodthirsty. I know we're used to that from, eg, commenters at CBC, but how did these jerks ever find the Guardian?

Given that most of those will be from Americans, it gives you a sense of just how bad his situation is. The powerful know they have to pander to the wingnuts, and Manning is an easy call for them on that score. They do want something out of him, but he's also a scapegoat.

Return To TAT