Author Topic: December 6th - Mourn and Organize  (Read 3463 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
December 6th - Mourn and Organize
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
Today we mark the 21st anniversary of the École Polytechnique Massacre.

My title is a take-off on Joe Hill of the IWW and las Madres de la Plaza de Mayo in Argentina - I share in their affirmation that the best way to remember those killed by injustice is to fight for change, but also think we should pause to reflect and mourn.

Here, the 6th of December marks the culmination of 12 days denouncing violence against women, starting on the international day marking this protest:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/12/06/montreal-massacre-21st-anniversary-events.html

http://www.ffq.qc.ca/2010/12/le-6-decembre-2010-nous-dirons-haut/

Le 6 décembre 2010,  nous dirons haut et fort NON  aux violences envers les femmes!

À la mémoire des 14 jeunes femmes victimes d’un crime politique contre les femmes le 6 décembre 1989, nous nous engageons à faire la promotion de 14 façons de lutter contre la violence envers les femmes.

Rendez-vous

12h00

Parc Émilie Gamelin

métro Berri-UQAM Angle Ste-Catherine et Berri

à Montréal 

(...)   (text continues at weblink above)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
Re: December 6th - Mourn and Organize
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
I am the guest speaker at an event today.  A tad nervous about it, but the poems will carry me through.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
The Toronto gathering will be at Women's College Hospital, but no one is telling us the time (not rabble, not the hospital, not Google News).

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »
Thanks, k'in. I was about to ask which WCH, since so much of it has moved up to Sunnybrook, yes? Downtown much more accessible, so good.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »
First Mourn Then Organize: 21 years since the Montreal Massacre  Judy Rebick at Canadian Dimension

Up at PB

ETA : Note to self : Always check Pogge first
Pogge's link to Rebick up at PB.

April Reign up at PB
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:14:18 PM by Alison »

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
I just wanted to thank regina mom (Politics N Poetry) for the memorial image, which I posted this morning on facebook - found it rapidly on a google search, didn't know it was regina mom till I clicked. A rose with the names of the 14 women.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
Jake Todd of the Gazette reflects on the 22nd anniversary of the École polytechnique massacre: http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/steve-jobs/lives+denied+requiem/5805697/story.html

I don't quite agree with him about Steve Jobs; I certainly knew who he was in 1989, though I suppose engineering students would have been "PC people", not "MAC people". But that is a minor quibble.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
La Fédération des femmes du Québec has just sent me this reminder about a rally outside le Palais de justice de Montréal (Main Courthouse) tomorrow (December 6th) at noon:

Le 6 décembre, à 12h
vous êtes invitéEs à un rassemblement
devant le Palais de justice de Montréal (1, rue Notre-Dame est).

Soyez nombreuses et nombreux à venir dénoncer la violence envers les femmes,  commémorer les victimes de la tuerie de l’École Polytechnique mais surtout, proposer des solutions pour mettre fin à cette violence qui persiste encore et encore.

Nous vous invitons à inscrire sur des rubans blancs et/ou des pancartes des solutions pour mettre fin à cette violence et à les apporter avec vous.
Contribuez à déconstruire le mythe que l’égalité est atteinte en rappelant que :

Tant qu’il y aura de la violence envers les femmes,
l’égalité entre les femmes et les hommes sera impossible !

Le Comité des 12 jours d’action, édition 2011 :

Concertation des luttes contre l’exploitation sexuelle
Fédération des femmes du Québec
Fédération Interprofessionnelle de la santé du Québec
Femmes autochtones du Québec
L’R des centres de femmes du Québec
Regroupement des maisons pour femmes victimes de violence conjugale
Regroupement québécois des Centres d’aide et de lutte contre les agressions à caractère sexuel
Réseau d’action femmes handicapées Canada

Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
Are you ready for this???  :mad2

December 6th is National Day of Action and Remembrance on Violence Against Women. Please join *JDL* and the *Multi Faith Coalition*to mourn the 14 women murdered because of their gender at L’Ecole Polytechnique in 1989.
At 6:00 pm at Philosopher’s Walk,
we remember and tell the stories of those women and
other women in Islamic Countries who  suffer torture and can no longer speak for themselves. 
And send a loud message to the TDSB to stop the practice of Gender Apartheid.
Bring signs and candles.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
Do they address the Gender Apartheid in ultra-orthodox Jewish communities as well (I see this at least several times a week, in nearby Outremont and Mile End districts) ... not to mention the surge in rapes caused by the militarization of mainstream Israeli society and culture?

I'm trying to remember the names of the Israeli feminists I know who have written and spoken of this.

Several years ago (well before the WTC attacks) Alternatives and the women's committee of CÉAD (Centre d'études arabes pour le développement) held a very well-attended conference "Against Fundamentalisms". It addressed the fundamentalisms springing from several major world religions (Hinduism as well as the usual Abrahamic Monotheisms) and ... the fundamentalism of the market, TINA.

Hope there is a feminist, antiracist, counterdemo.

I'm not opposed to feminists demonstrating against patriarchal religious dogma as long as it is even-handed, although of course we know people of faith who have devoted their lives to fighting for justice, including for women.
Rosa Luxemburg

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »

Return To TAT