Author Topic: Deals  (Read 3395 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Deals
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
For Quebecers - http://scarlett.redflagdeals.com/sale-locator/#recent

Save 50% off road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids, apparel and more at   this liquidation sale. Arrive early to avoid disappointment!

Dates:
  March 3-April 3, 2011

Wed 11AM-5PM
  Thu-Fri 11AM-9PM
  Sat 11AM-5PM
4454 Garand
  St. Laurent, Quebec
   Posted on Feb 25 2011              
Starts Mar 3 2011            
Ends Apr 3 2011            

I've been learning about GICs/Mutual Funds/Non-BricknMortar banking etc., and got this e-alert, thought Lagatta/Brebis would be interested. I'm jealous.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Deals
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:49:57 AM »
Toe, a computer-compatibility glitz, but I can only see the banner atop that notice. No problem: I'll look up the address and the word "liquidation" (same in English and French so I can get hits in either language) and I'll find it. I'm really not in the market for a new bicycle now - I'd LOVE to have a folding bike for travel, but I need a stove and a new mattress more - but I'll pass the news on to cyclists here. There might be some accessories I'd want, though I picked up several things - CHEAP - when working in Amsterdam, including new "girly" bicycle bags, turtle lights fore and aft and a ding-dong bell.

I have brighter lights than the turtles, but they are a useful back-up.

In town, I prefer having a second-hand (but well restored and maintained) bicycle as it is less attractive to thieves. Here is the site of a guy who restores and sells old bicycles; he lives between Mtl and Ottawa close to the QC-ON border. http://www.pistescyclables.ca

He has recently moved the 24" wheel bicycles from "city bikes" to "kids' bikes" though actually those little bicycles can be a boon for shorter adults, or people with minor mobility problems. My bicycle has standard wheels for a mixte frame and it is not too tall for me, but the seat is down all the way on the post, which means I can't attach a light on the post - a very good place for the rear light. I see at least one 24" I'd like.

Pity, it is warm enough to cycle today, but far too messy/hazardous with some patches of ice lurking under big messes of melting snowglop.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »
Just a little glow and gloat. I walked to the Loblaws yesterday to pick up some "blue menu" stuff on special, in particular steel-cut oats, and they were liquidating John West Naturally Smoked Kipper Fillets for $2 a tin. Only two tins left. Walked by a fishmonger's at Jean-Talon Market on my way back home, where they were $3.99.

Loblaws is rather expensive here, especially for fresh produce, but they do have odd liquidation sales on interesting items. I'd be happier to find "fresh" or frozen kippers. Once got some great frozen Scottish kippers in Ottawa; have never seen them here.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
The only place I've found fresh-frozen kippers in Toronto was Marks & Sparks when they were here, but alas, they are gone. I'm told there might be some either at the St Lawrence Market or at Harbourfront, but I've never gone to look.

When I was a kid we had them regularly -- I can even remember the shop we walked to to buy them at in Medicine Hat. I like the tinned ones too, but they are almost a different food, much as tinned salmon isn't the same as fresh. Their virtue for some is that they never have any bones -- not sure how that's done.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »
Don't get me started about the loss of Marks and Sparks!
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
  12,000 free pitchers and filters at events across Canada this April.

Misleading and I've already sent a complaint, this is not across Canada. But still a good deal (for the month of April)

Vancouver, BC
 Granville Square
 200 Granville Street
 Thursday, April 7, 2011
 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Calgary, AB
 Eau Claire Market
 202-200 Barclay Parade Southwest
 Thursday, April 14, 2011

Toronto, ON
 Yonge-Dundas Square
 10 Dundas Street East
 Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mississauga, ON
 Square One Mall – Hazel’s Walk
 (outside Studio 10 Movie Theatre)
 100 City Centre Drive
 Saturday, April 23, 2011

eta - if you got the red flag deals from future shop:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/comments/futureshopca_sharp_pci_air_purifier_w_humidifying_function_16999_was_29999/

That library quiet air purifier/humidifier in one, is NOT $169.99 down from $299.99, it is actually $149.99 because I just got one and they said it was a printing mistake.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:02:41 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
A little glow and gloat for me too Lagatta. I just purchased a beautiful wrought iron headboard/footboard with the wee circular posts, the iron is done in diamond shapes with a lovely big curve. I got the big tool box out and found the correct screws and driver, but then felt peaked. Started some fish, so will do tomorrow with better daylight. Oh the best part, $35.00 including delivery right into my bedroom. The guy actually only wanted $25.00 but delivery added the extra 10. I love Kijiji  :p

Actually scratch that, they are a very dark green, I'm going to paint them black first.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
Repaint them if you wish, but I actually like that very dark green that looks black - it is a rich and subtle deco colour.

Yes, Kijiji, Craigslist, and others (we have one called Lespac - les petites annonces classées) are a great source for stuff on a budget. One thing I love is my stainless steel kitchen prep table - cart. It has storage space for pots and pans on shelves underneath, and rubber wheels (easy to roll) so it is so clean to keep the floor clean underneath.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »
Well, yeah, my neighbour saw them coming in and she kinda said the same thing.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Perusing those ads, I see someone is GIVING AWAY a ladies' vintage Raleigh

http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/bik/2610678694.html  I'm sure it has already been taken, but replied immediately - I'd go get it tomorrow morning as it is not far away and I could walk it home if it is not in rideable shape. That would be worth taking even if it needs some work. Red with silver mudguards/fenders! I think that model is a burgundy red. It is from the 1980s or so, but a copy of an older style.

Not fretting if it is gone, though.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
Would you believe the guy who is giving away the cute red Raleigh PHONED ME? His name is Abdallah and he works in a hospital. The bicycle is just a few long blocks south of here on St-Urbain, so I can certainly just go pick it up and walk it back, if it is not in safe running order.

Obviously I'm not saying it is a done deal until it is chez moi, but so cool. I'll keep it for friends/spare if nobody else needs it, but of course I'll give it away with pleasure to any friend who needs a bike.
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »
That all sounds good, lagatta.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Oh indeed good for you Lagatta. I love my Raleigh!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
Yes, I love my own Raleigh too.

I don't feel guilty about adopting this one because I'll gladly give here to anyone who needs one, and I suspect that it would most likely go to a dealer.

Supposedly I'm fetching her tomorrow afternoon, but I won't even think of that until it is a done deal.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
Burgundy Raleigh with silvery mudguards, six-speed, women's frame, is now at home in the bicycle parking at our co-op. She seems to be in reasonably good condition - the paint on the frame is perfect (unlike mine which needs a retouch and will get one soon). The back tire is soft but I don't think there is a flat as wheeling her home was perfectly easy without that telltale drag - we'll see - the tires look pretty good. The brakes are soft. I braked her as hard as I could while pushing her and could still roll her a bit, so at the least she needs an adjustment and perhaps new brake pads. One of the key unknowns as of yet is the saddle and handlebar posts - those can become frozen in place, in which case the saddle is too high for me - the handlebars are fine, though it is nice to be able to adjust them. I have lubricated them and will have someone look at them.

Her model name is a Raleigh Safari, but that name (like Sprite, my bicycle's model) has been used over the years for very different bicycles.

She and Miep the Sprite make a pretty pair, for now. I may keep her for guests, or a spare, or give her to a friend.
Rosa Luxemburg

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »

Return To TAT