Author Topic: Local Issues  (Read 768 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Local Issues
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Yesterday we went for a walk and I felt like I had my face over a chimney, it was quite awful. Apparently I more or less did have my face over a chimney and it is even worse over a couple of neighbourhoods.

A primary issue is black particulate. The North End and the Beach Strip have been plagued with it — and whenever the evidence points to AMD, the company engages in a behind-the-scenes effort to muddy the waters, divert blame and frustrate the victims. AMD refused to meet with citizen plaintiffs about the company’s intent to avoid Ministry of the Environment (MOE) efforts to reduce AMDs emission of the deadly carcinogen Benzo A pyrene, saying they did not have the money to tackle the job. This while AMD owner Lakshmi Mittal spent $60 million on his daughter’s wedding. Montgomery Burns couldn’t have done it better.
AMD refused to work out issues with Environment Hamilton for so long that someone had to dress up as Santa to get AMD to receive a “Christmas present” of hundreds of postcards from its neighbours, who were urging the company to come into compliance with emissions of dangerous pollutants.
AMD privately played stupid with residents who were complaining about its aging No. 2 blast furnace belching out giant clouds of smoke. Then when confronted with video evidence, played legalist over the exact pitch of colour and density — suggesting it was only steam. This left residents to play a legal version of “Pin the Tail on the Donkey,” until front-page pictures forced AMD to admit the obvious truth — there was a giant hole in the fume recovery hood at No. 2 and repairs were scheduled. The initial denial, followed by evasion and ending in an admission that said “yes we know it is broken and it will get fixed,” is just a plain insult to the folks who have to work with AMD as neighbours.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/article/514851--dirty-days-in-the-neighbourhood
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Local Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
I'm glad to read that Debra, gross though it is. Thanks.

No excuse for that nowadays.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
I don't know why they keep saying the north end and the beach, see my post in april weather of the 7th! It is the one thing I detest the most about Steeltown, the awful stink. Yest. wasn't so bad, I thought I'd puke on the 7th. What I don't understand is where tf is the Ministry of Environment, all they do is monitor and report the airborne contaminants. The reporting requirements for Regulation 127/01 have been harmonized with Environment Canada's federal air emissions reporting requirements. All reports (from 2005 onward) are available to the public through the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) website. So what? Reporting? does nothing. Where are the stiff fines for these polluters? Poverty and pollution seem to go hand in hand with these new owners. Lakshmi Mittal lives in Kensington, London and is worth $20 Billion. Oh and he sits on Goldman Sachs board.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:12:29 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
Technically, not my local area... but still in Quebec: Laval Wetlands on the path to elimination

ETA: I sent a message to Mulcair saying that all wetlands development is obscene - they need to be left alone.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:43:08 PM by Boom Boom »

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »

Return To TAT