Author Topic: E-readers  (Read 4066 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
E-readers
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:35:55 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with e-readers. I have a very bad spasm in my left shoulder/back because I simply cannot put down a book I'm presently reading. So I thought okay I'll buy a bookholder, told the kid that and she was like WOT? why would you do that, buy an e-reader instead. Okay. So then I looked them up and I love this one.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/202146/amazon_kindle_3_the_best_kindle_yet.html
until I saw the price.  :o  But then I was delivered a cheque today in the mail from Sears for $271.15 and WTF is that for? So because I don't trust any big stores I phoned and I'm no further ahead in understanding why I got this cheque, but I was told it's because I paid for something by debit and they don't do that or something or another, and to go ahead and spend it. And this is on top of the 50 buck gift card they gave me for my troubles, which is what I was going to use to buy a bookholder. Phew.

I only want a reader, not interested in the new bells/whistles of the Barnes/Nobles, altho playing games might be fun. not sure. Anyway I hope someone has some experience with these things. Thanks, g'nite.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Re: E-readers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »
Funny you should say this because I was reviewing an eReader I bought before leaving the USA for another blogfriend. 

I bought a Kobo Touch, and am liking it.  I think at full price in Chapters/Indigo, it's about $139.  You can get new or gently used ones for less on eBay.  I got mine new at dying Borders for about $95 before I moved to Europe.  I don't think there are too many that are cheaper.  It doesn't have the Kindle frills but it's also not tied to Amazon.  It just reads books, pretty much, on black-and-white unlit e-Ink.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:21:30 AM by Mandos »

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:03 AM »
Kobo also allows you to "borrow books" from the library. You only get them for a week though and then they reach through the air and yoink them back.  :p
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »
Yes, that's one of the other reasons why I got a Kobo Touch.  Can't do that with Kindle.  You can also read PDFs as well, though I believe the Kindle can do that one.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
Kindle announced in April, library borrowing by September 2011. Will have to check.
I'll also have to buy a loaded credit card, I'm assuming you can't swipe a debit card. Hee.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »
How does one buy a pre-loaded credit card?

Not that I want to ever buy anything on credit, but it would be useful for a few things hard to buy any way other than online Just for a very small amount, say $500 or so.

For the moment I'm perfectly happy borrowing from La Grande Bibliothèque www.banq.qc.ca But I would like more options in languages other than French and English.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:35:29 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »
I'm daytime 'dreaming' of reading a new book WITHOUT ANY SPECS ON!
  :)) :bunny :geezera :piratedance :autumn :bounce :champagne :devildance :fingers_crossed :hail

Fuck me I'm excited!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
That would be lovely. I'd even start reading in bed again if I could read a book without glasses - people who have poor vision would find that funny but I just can't get used to that and keep stabbing myself - I only need glasses at all for small print or for reading for long periods, just slight presbyopia.

Perhaps eventually I'll get one - the corporate model disturbed me, but they will probably become more generic and material in many languages will become widely available.

Thanks for the pre-paid credit card info. I'd want that for two purposes - online purchases, and travel (the travel is not paid by me, but there are always a lot of incidentals).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I am saving up for an iPad, because why pay for a single use thing when you can have it all?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
Yeah, great question A. But as I told the kid, when I want to read I want absolutely no distractions whatsoever, same as picking a book and retreating-single use for me.

I-Pads are exciting as well tho. nother time.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
Did somebody sprinkle that bed I bought @ Sears with Fairy Dust or sumthin?
I got a call from (Sandi) who sold me my bed and she said Toe did you know today is 30 days since you bought your bed and I'm like yeah so. And she says well today is the last day for you to come and get the difference between what you paid for it and what the sale is starting today, it amounts to just over $150 and because it is such a low amount we will just take it out of the cash box, no need to send a cheque.

So I'm OFF like a Jack being hunted by Brer Fox! I might even pick up some bubbly.  :chaching :cheshire

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
I can't sleep, so thought I should ask: Anyone use bi-focals? I'm not doing well with mine. Just got em and I hate them already. I get the above part, that's easy peasy, can see everyting, its the lower reader part I don't get. It seems as if the sentence that shows up on a page is only good in the middle, the edges are blurred. What's up with that?

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
I got a scrip for bifocals a year ago January but I am in denial so I haven't bought any.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »
The first glasses of my life -- I was in my mid-forties -- were bi-focals. I had reached the point where my arms weren't long enough to hold the newspaper far enough away to be able to read it. I adapted to them very easily. People warned me that I must be careful on stairs, curbs etc. but I had no problem.

My glasses now -- small, rimless, I love them -- have three gradations. The top, as always, corrects a minor astigmatism. I have very good long vision but the top just sharpens it. It's like fine-focussing a camera. The middle section is for my computer viewing. My optometrist says this helps me avoid tilting my head back and putting a strain on my neck. And the lowest part is for looking down -- for reading, eating, cooking, typing etc.

My glasses have no differentiating lines and the gradual change can't be noticed by others.

Having said all that, I had a problem once when I went to a "glasses store" because I just wanted to get a couple of pairs of less expensive rims, just for fun. They didn't do a very good job of interpreting my prescription apparently and I didn't really wear my fun rims that much. They gave me a headache. I find that getting my Rx filled with my optometrist has worked better for me.

Return To TAT