Author Topic: E-readers  (Read 4064 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Re: E-readers
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »
I have bifocals. They do take getting used to. cheaper ones even more so as they transition so quickly from near to far. and have virtually no peripheral vision.

I don't like the bifocals much but having to deal with 3 sets of glasses seems worse. Near/far/computer
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
I was afraid of the same thing as you, Sharon. I usually read at a desk or table so I don't really look down when I read, more than at the computer (I often read with a stand). Why would you have to look down to type? I might very occasionally if typing a key I don't use much, not enough to warrant a separate focus, if not I always look at the screen when I type.  I need glasses with a laptop, not so much with my desktop (I only put them on to look at tiny type I can't make bigger).

I've been advised to get computer glasses for the reasons Sharon states. With the laptop as my main computer (I'll of course use my desktop screen at home, and where I can), it will be imperative.

I was mildly nearsighted; I'm slightly farsighted from age now, but actually have very good vision for my age (50s).

Sharon's glasses sound sweet and I'll be asking her for the model.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
I've had bifocals for years - I'd be helpless without them. Took me a short while to get used to them, yes,  but I wouldn't consider glasses without them now.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:23:47 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
Well. All that said I just don't know. I read in bed every single night. And I detest not being able to see the entire sentence, just the middle is nice and clear. I don't think I should have to move my book or my head. After about 5 minutes I get pissed and put on my old readers. I now have 3 sets of glasses, one for reading, one for the puter and the bi's. As Sharon describes, my long vision is good but the glasses fine focus, which kinda stunned me at first. I was suddenly seeing not just the pretty colours of people's eyes, but now I can see all the wee pixels within the iris, it's really nice. Antonia I've been in denial for years, lol, but caved and now I wish I hadn't. I was thinking of going back to the glasses shop and asking them. They are rather gorgeous too, with sparklies on the arm and rimless at bottom. Arggghhh!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
Why would you have to look down to type?

Oops. I gave myself away. I've been typing for many many years but I'm not a touch typist and although I mostly look at the screen, I glance down often enough -- it may be just a habit -- that I need a reading lens to see the keys clearly.

Toe, I probably should have added: I don't read in bed at night. I listen to music or turn the TV on -- both put me to sleep. (I'm a good sleeper and don't really need anything to put me to sleep but neither the music nor the TV keeps me awake.) And I find the bi-focals awkward if I do want to read in bed -- if I'm sick, for instance.

I do think you should tell your optometrist about the trouble you're having. I think you could have better lenses than that.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
I do think you should tell your optometrist about the trouble you're having. I think you could have better lenses than that.

Indeed I will, after 350.00 they better not charge me more if I need a dif lense.

Lagatta - I'm kidding, just feeling old lately with hip/leg pain cuz of all the packing, lifting, dragging.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT