Author Topic: Steve Jobs has died  (Read 1430 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Steve Jobs has died
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
Steve Jobs has died: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/06/steve-jobs-apple-cofounder-dies

As with Jack, in the last while, I'm not surprised by this news, but there is that chill on the back, as Jobs was of my cohort and obviously could access the best healthcare $$$$$ could buy.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: Steve Jobs has died
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
I thought that August announcement was a sign of bad news but again, like with Jack Layton, I am still shocked that he is gone. Damn, 56 years old is so very young.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »
He received a liver transplant in '09, and with an 'unusual' type of pancreatic cancer not unexpected.  (from Lagatta's link) he once said. "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."  Lord but that is so true. I was looking for a word a phrase the other day and just couldn't get it right, until I read a soldier's story about his 'moral injury' and that no treatment yet exists for it because so far it is anecdotal evidence, yet he knows instinctually he is way beyond PTSD. Anyway he reminded me of Jobs, forward-looking going on scanty evidence, with new tech/treatments just around the corner.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »

As with Jack, in the last while, I'm not surprised by this news, but there is that chill on the back, as Jobs was of my cohort and obviously could access the best healthcare $$$$$ could buy.

Yeah, CNN reported he travelled the world looking for miracle cures. Aside from all the hoopla surrounding him and Apple, he was a real prick when it came to labour and human rights issues.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
Boom Boom, that sounds obvious from a careful reading of the wikipedia article I posted. His failure to recognise his first daughter until he had no choice and his cuttoff of philanthropy at Apple scarcely square with his displayed Buddhist philosophical outlook.

I remember Jobs as a remarkable innovator who made technology accessible to us techno-peasants, but it really sounds like he was also more than a bit of a prick.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »
Yes, of course that is true. But the monopolistic Microsoft and notoriously far-right Dell are scarcely any better. Why is anyone surprised that rightwing and self-centred pricks become major capitalists?

I posted Jobs' demise because I thought it was noteworthy, not because I thought he was at all socially progressive.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT