Author Topic: Getting through December  (Read 8494 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Getting through December
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
I thought of "December without kitsch" from the Nativity kitsch thread, but perhaps getting through it might be consensual?

I hate Christmas, but it has nothing to do with aversion to anyone's religious or spiritual beliefs. It is the Church of Mammon I abhor. Trying to find a peaceful, happy place, inviting friends for a few good suppers, seeing a few films, without glitz.

Today we had an unusually lovely light, and of course, no snow yet. This is another quandary: it is such a relief, and yet so worrying. I am thrilled to be able to walk in good strides without terror of falling, and even sometimes still ride my bicycle.

But the warming does have dire consequences for others, not just around the world but directly to our north.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Getting through December
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
It was a beautiful October day today.  :o
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Imagine the Arctic without ice or snow.  :o

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
My ground cover is putting out purple/white flowers. Again.  :o  Which shocked me, I didn't even realize it. I saw the frost at 7 a.m. and then did stuff, came home and saw the wee flowers peeking out.

Has anybody come across anything that actually discusses WHY our govs won't put anything into place for warming, apparently we have until 2015 to do so. Which means it'll be 2016 until they do, if anything. Warming Cap/Peak is coming.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

greenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
Has anybody come across anything that actually discusses WHY our govs won't put anything into place for warming,

Perhaps because they haven't read this - How The World Works

Toe, I can't believe it - flowers in December!?  The Guardian has a page on the Durban climate talks. In nutshell, it's all about using the economy as an excuse. Never mind that it will cost a lot more later, mostly in lives and loss of animal species. Durban climate change conference 2011

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
They don't read. It's aleady de-decided.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »
I think the Harper government thinks of global warming as an overall positive for their aims - making it far easier to explore for and use the natural resources of the North, and facilitating their transport with the new shipping routes.

Toe, yesterday I saw new growth (tender green leaves) on one of those bushes with tiny leaves (boxwood?) in front of the Outremont library, and walking along saw some roses still on a bush. Sure, the roses were pretty much dead, but still had their vivid colour. This strikes me as very late. Remember that we are a good climate zone colder than Hamilton or even Toronto.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »
Don't "think" it---"know" it.  It's now a very old right-wing trope, to say that, even if climate change *were* true, then we should celebrate it because it gives us a chance to exploit more natural resources.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
The melting of the Arctic is going to be disastrous in many ways - we're already seeing island nations suffering because of higher water levels. Here, waterfront property is quite at risk from shoreline erosion - and it will get worse when water levels rise. Sigh - I hope I die before I see the worse of it.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
When the permafrost melts, it will release untold amounts of methane, which means it will speed up global warming.

I think the Harper government thinks of global warming as an overall positive for their aims - making it far easier to explore for and use the natural resources of the North, and facilitating their transport with the new shipping routes.

Drill Baby Drill. And phoque them polar bears.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
Polar bears and smaller critters, as well as Inuit, Dene and other Northern peoples. At a conference this week, an Inuit elder told me her community had really been suffering this year, not only because of youth suicides and other social problems, but a spike in hunters drowning and otherwise dying because of the unfamiliar weather and ice patterns.

Which also means more families will rely on the crap food shipped up from the south.

Isn't there already some permafrost melt, in particular in Siberia?

Do want to remind all that this is the monthly thread and it certainly concerns weather - and climate - but that this is also a space to talk about things to do with this month, whether autumn term exams, coping with holidays (or not) or simply looking out the window at the sky.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
Here is a shot of the St-Urbain bicycle lane (down from the Plateau to downtown) "End of November with no snow"

http://montrealcyclechic.com/post/13738116689/fin-novembre-avec-pas-de-neige

It was quite a bit warmer today (4 December) and lots of cyclists happy to be out and about.

As one must say, immediately very pleasant, but worrying.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
I'm considerably north east of you, and it was a very pleasant 2C today, and no snow on the ground yet. I think I posted a link a week ago that said this will last for two weeks into December.

ETA: Here it is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:08:10 PM by Boom Boom »

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
All i know is, I give the critters flea treatment 12 months a year now
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Yes, a lot of things simply aren't killed off in dwellings and other buildings (especially hotels!) now.
Rosa Luxemburg

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »

Return To TAT