Author Topic: February - Leaping  (Read 2637 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: February - Leaping
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »
Ha, good one Holly Stick. Tonight is Mistress Night, tomorrow is Valentines Day, ha-ha.
On the news I learned there is now an alibi dot com site to help out.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »
Just be glad you don't live on the Magdalen Islands! For those elsewhere, those remote Gulf of St Lawrence islands (Iles-de-la-Madeleine in French) have endured a major ice storm - they are a sheet of ice and at least a third of the inhabitants are without power.

The inhabitants are mostly from Atlantic Canada; the francophones are mostly of Acadian origin and the anglophones from Newfoundland. You can here these accents as the people speak of their predicament, though like many people from isolated regions they seem to be bearing up.

I think where Boom Boom lives is colder, but the Maggies get even more wind.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Windchill in the minus 30s yesterday and probably about the same when I cam in to work this morning.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Just finished moving yesterday's snow from the blizzard. I give thanks there's no significant snow in our forecast for a least a week now. Was very cold last night, and windy. Starting to warm up now, the windchill is only -25C. (that's two blizzards with heavy snow that  we've had in the space of three days)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:22:09 AM by Boom Boom »

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
I know it's hard with cold and snow, but I hafta say I'm happy to hear that someon'e getting winter!  We're hovering around 0 again today.  The big thaw continues.  In February.  In Saskatchewan.  Crazy!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
We're hovering around 0 again today.  The big thaw continues.  In February.  In Saskatchewan.  Crazy!

That was our experience here three years ago. I'd give anything to have it again.

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
We're not having much winter in Halifax either. We've had colder temps the last couple of days but a weekend storm that saw a lot of snow fall in other parts of the Maritimes was mostly rain here. After the temp dropped, it got icy but it's bright and sunny and warming up today. 

It's quite unusual. Our winters are generally not as severe as some other parts of the country but I think our shovels have been used only once this winter for actual shovelling -- and that was a freak storm at the end of October! Other than that, the shovels have been used for a little scraping, to get down to bare pavement.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
Today's lesson is: just looking at the snow doesn't make it go away.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
Big storm here today - heavy snow, strong wnd, drifting snow everywhere.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Yes, after the joy of not only going on long walks without pain but being able to run errands on my bicycle :bike - now we've been clobbered by fucking snow. It isn't very cold at all, but I'm afraid to go out and run errands (zipper on waterproof boots is kaput and not worth mending; impossible to find new boots in an "average" size at the end of February). It is a lot of heavy, melty snow. At least I already see the signs for road clearing on my street (on the other side first, as a bus runs down there, and turns). Because if this isn't carted off, it will swiftly turn to ice in temps hovering around zero.

Boom Boom, I suspect Caissa and Sharon will also be clobbered, and brebis noire got far more snow than me - but at least they have some benefit, with affordable skiing nearby.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
We have snow here, too!  I'm so excited to see it.  It's not amounting to much yet, just small flakes falling and warm temps, but there's a bit of a wind so we could see a real snowstorm.  There is a winter storm warning in effect.  :applause Haven't seen a good winter storm yet this winter, not really, and this prairie grrl is missing that!   :popcorn
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »
The house was shaking a bit in the wind, and there's huge snow drifts everywhere. Going to be a very noisy night.  :o

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
The piles of white celestial shit have melted to a great extent, as it was about 0°. However, that will mean glare ice, and it was already quite icy this afternoon.

The wet, heavy snow is actually a godsend for farmers, and for trees. I'm just terrified both of being shut in, not getting enough exercise and of the icy pavements. Certainly aware of the environmental implications of the strange winters.

There are already little orange signs up indicating that the opposite side of my street will be cleared tonight, and that there is no parking on that side after 7 pm. I hear a lot of cars digging out and attempting to move (there are some parking places for them not far away, fortunately). Actually, I'm not sure my street will be cleared, as St-Laurent and St-Denis (the main north-south streets I live between) are far greater priorities.

I noticed that two unremarkable but familiar buildings in my neighbourhood will be either pulled down or substanially altered. Actually, while Meubles Torino underwent some rather hideous renovation of its frontage (ugly white bricks) it is actually a greystone building worthy or restoration. Whatever happens it will no doubt become condos, but so many of them are thrown up with little regard for the architectural vernacular and some don't even have BALCONIES. The most humble flats in Montréal have balconies, except for some very old ones in an Ancien Régime or ealry 19th-Century French or British style. "Balconville" is a local expression, in French but also in English (see David Fennario) for how working-class people relaxed and cooled down in summertime, and the vital, if at times overly close, streetlife.

To say nothing about neglect of the need for social and affordable housing... There are projects underway nearby, but it remains to be seen whether they will actually be funded and get off the ground.
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
Oh, fuck, lagatta, talking about the housing crisis, you've reminded me that our stupid Council is allowing heritage designation on an affordable apartment building to be deregistered so that it can be demolished.  I don't even wanna know what the developer wants to put there in its place because I'm sure it'll be offices because the city announced a tax break for that very purpose a few months ago.  And even if that does create some housing changes in the future, with a vacancy rate of 0.6 right now, we need every residence right now, not years down the road!

ETA: Sideways snow a little while ago! :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:52:53 PM by Berlynn »

Bread & Roses Forum

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »

Return To TAT