Author Topic: MalwareT  (Read 2234 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
MalwareT
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
Is anyone getting malware warnings? Started yesterday and happening with CBC/NN/Nat.Post, not just alternative news. And happening on both Chrome and Firefox -  :annoyed :annoyed *The website ahead contains malware*, sometimes surfing is slowed right down, then it isn't, wtf is going on?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: MalwareT
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »
Being completely vexed with this topic, *ugh* I went looking and read  Your antivirus software probably won't prevent a cyberattack    http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/31/technology/security/antivirus/index.html

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:14:25 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I got a malware notice day before yesterday.  It was on a US right-wing blog (I like to keep myself up on their doings  :p ) and the notice seemed to imply that a site called chicksontheright.net had something to do with it. I checked back in a couple of hours and it was still there so I left it alone.

I looked at it yesterday and it was fine -- no notice and no mention of it anywhere. (I'm using chrome.)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
It is also a good idea to turn off java in your browser. This article explains how and why. Most things will still work some online games won't but you can turn it back on for that.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/

Most times if it says a website is compromised it is a good idea to give a pass until the problem is fixed. Better to not find something out than to get a malicious virus.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
Thanks Debra. I got a call this a.m. from my bank telling me to come in for a new debit card coz somewhere in the last 5 months I was asked to swipe, even tho I have the chip. Apparently wherever that was, they are being investigated for fraud, which is why my account was flagged. She's pute savvy so asked her about disabling Java in browser and she said if i do that I won't be able to use my online services with the bank.  :confused

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
That\s bullshit. I have it disabled in all my browsers and do online banking all the time. It doesn't mean JavaScript can't work. I think she is confused.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
Ok Debra, and thanks, your strongly worded post tells me your right.  :))

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
 :p :bunny :bunny :bunny :embarassed

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »
It doesn't mean JavaScript can't work.

Yes! Java and JavaScript are not the same thing and this needs to be emphasized because a lot of people who may appear to be conversant with technology still don't get it.

Return To TAT