Author Topic: spot the hypocrisy  (Read 2878 times)

BlueGrey

• View Profile
spot the hypocrisy
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:52 PM »
Does anyone but me find this quite hilariously funny?

While I was doing unrelated research, googling "jon katz mental illness" (I was actually looking for Jon Katz, the dog guy, because I'm trying to find out whether he's written on mental health issues beyond what's in "The New Work of Dogs"), I came across this article at Psychiatric Times.  It's a very typical article in that psychiatry is represented by psychiatrists while the minority point of view is represented by a scientologist (celebrity), rather than a semi-coherent ex-mental patient such as myself.  Intellectually, it's a very crappy article but it's a goldmine for comedy.

Psychiatry and Mental Illness: Are They Mass Media Targets?
by Michael Jonathan Grinfeld

March 1998, Vol. XV, Issue 3

Often the slights are not intentional, according to Jean Arnold, chair of the National Stigma Clearinghouse, a New York City-based hub of information for "stigmabusters" nationwide. In her experience, the creators of entertainment don't understand the harm they do when they include stereotypical depiction of mental illness.

At one point last year, Katz and his creation "Dr. Katz" were slated to be part of a citywide antidiscrimination campaign sponsored by New York City's Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Alcoholism Services. But the $250,000 media blitz aimed at dispelling the stigma of mental illness stalled last June when the department and the advertising agency hired to run the campaign parted ways.

Edited to correct typo.

BlueGrey

• View Profile
Re: spot the hypocrisy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »
Quote from: BlueGrey
New York City's Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Alcoholism Services

Usually, good things and bad things are sorted separately.  Clean laundry goes in one pile; kitchen scraps, another.  We used to have a Provincial Ministry of Lands, Parks & Housing (good, good, good).  We send presents with Love & Affection (good, good).  Someone's feet are described as Filthy & Foul (bad, bad).

It could just be my bipolar talking but it seems like when we start talking about mental health, all sensible rules fly out the window.  Thus we have what I highlighted above (good, bad, bad).  And, in British Columbia, we have the Provincial Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions (good, bad).

All very confusing for an overly observant ex-patient which a big chip on her shoulder.

BlueGrey

• View Profile
spot the hypocrisy
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »

BlueGrey

• View Profile
spot the hypocrisy
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »
I can understand merely being somewhat wrong over and over.  I really can.  But I cannot fathom how you can do the exact opposite of what should be done over and over.  

Picture that correctly and you'll understand the state of our mental health legislation and policy:

If someone's freaking out, lock them in a seclusion room and turn out the lights.  Sever all human contact.

If someone's searching for help, rebuff them.

If someone's searching for freedom, force help upon them instead.

If someone's being stigmatized, stigmatize them even more.

Despite my ranting, I acknowledge that this phenomen isn't limited to psychiatry.  It extends to financial institutions, political parties, and many, many more groups of people trying (and failing) to do the right thing.  Over and over.

Return To TAT