Author Topic: Why can't I garden in the rain?  (Read 11419 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Why can't I garden in the rain?
« on: June 03, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »
It's raining. I have garden things to do.

I guess lightning is always a possibility. I hear the odd distant rumble. Do you hear a rumble? Maybe climbing up a metal ladder to dump old plants and fresh soil into a metal-framed planter would be a bad idea?

Just askin'.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:45:08 PM »
I have no idea. No lightning or thunder here; just a steady drizzle, and yes, we've been gardening in the rain. We had ordered a truckload of earth, so we had to get it in there.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
Well, you probably should not plant gladiolus bulbs in the rain, since you are not supposed to water them right away.  At a conference in Lethbridge, I was given 5 Blue Lagoon bulbs, since the city's official flower is the gladiolus, and some instructions.  (Of course I am ignoring the instructions about dipping the bulbs in some kind of powder, etc.)

I planted them yesterday, along with a bunch of bedding out plants, in the small garden along my apartment building's garage. The long-time tenant who used to do the flowers has arthritis, so she gives me money to buy plants with; I had a nice fulfilling shopping spree at the huge Sunnyside Greenhouses, then planted all the pots and hanging baskets, and watered everything but the bulbs.  It's pretty dry here, though we may get showers tomorrow.

My mother claimed she was hit by lightning once while hanging out clothes on the metal clothesline.  I guess it was more of a nip than a hit; but we always felt nervous of grabbing the clothes when a thunderstorm was approaching.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 07:52:44 PM »
Too sweet. What the hell happened to the long long range forecast of a dry summer huh? So much rain. I planted a wee garden directly outside the hobbit door of my work room. It is full of my favourite things. In the last 24 hours I have watched SNAILS climb up a wee red tree I planted to find cover!
There are wee mushrooms everywhere! So small and directly pointed (ahem) that I wonder what actually holds them into shape? I just blew on one and it fairly disappeared. Neighbours say how lucky I am to have these creatures in my garden, but I'm not so sure.  Meantime, I secretly, ancesterally (sp?) am enjoying this weather.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 08:22:59 PM »
Well, we had a rare dry moment today, so after my morning at work, the Webgeek and I dug up some more of my front lawn and planted some tomatoes, parsley, basil, jalapeno peppers and, of course, the PUMPKIN.

we only have a bit of grass left.  I'm so psyched!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 10:15:27 PM »
Congrats, Vicky. We are almost free of that damned grass now,at least in front.

Even where turf is wanted, for children to play, for track and field, or to keep your family's ewe, there was a conspiracy against clover, of all things.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »
I had a fantasy about a clover lawn in the backyard, but the dog keeps it nicely roto-tilled, so not much is growing there.  We're planning some patio stones at some point.  The front is a lovely jumble of perennials, herbs and now veggies.  Right now the irises have taken over, the poppies have exploded and there is an abundance of weeds.  But still, so much better than grass.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:48:24 AM »
This rain has been turning my back lawn into a monster.  I find I have to cut it 3 or 4 times for every time I cut the front lawn, but over the last week it got out of hand.  I own a push mower, but yesterday had to borrow an electric one to get the job done.

This is my first full season in the new place and the garden is killing me.  The previous owner had let things go for quite a few years.  Ah well, in 5 years it will be magnificent!
"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
I am growing weeds, which is bad enough, but I also have the problem of a garden that was overplanted by the previous occupant.

All winter, I swear that I'll get on top of that problem in early spring, before the plants are jumping all over one another and therefore discouraging me, but once again, I have already failed.

In one tiny corner at the back, eg, I have a gorgeous clematis flowering hopefully up a fence (I planted that) ... behind multi columbines and a rose that is spreading everywhere. They're all lovely, but they are crammed into a tiny space, overwhelming each other. Out front I have multi junipers strangling each other.

I look; I feel defeated; I trudge back to the safety of my computer.   :?

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 04:40:45 PM »
We couldn't get grass to grow properly in the front yard, so we dug it up and planted clover a couple of years ago.  The clover's a bit patchy (giant spruces in the yard), but thicker and greener than the grass.  There are other ground-cover type weeds in there too.  We only dig up the dandelions.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
I love gardening in the rain, especially if it's a warm day. I think I'm going to like my new place (moving in July) with a nice veggie garden overlooking the Gulf, and flower beds around the house. Oh, and since this is my first post here, hi! :)  (and thanks for the invite from a friend)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 04:31:57 AM »
Welcome to our garden, Boom Boom.  :)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 06:06:07 AM »
Thanks! You're up early, skdadl.  I got out of bed a half hour ago - quite cool here. Have all the heaters on - in mid June! :?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 06:15:17 AM »
Sorry, BB: I did notice the change, and I will use the new one now.  :)

I am almost always up early. I got on to that schedule a few years ago and just haven't seen a need to change it, although it does put a dent in the evening social life if one is nodding off by 8 p.m.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 06:18:11 AM »
I've gotten lazy in retirement - usually up until the late night pundits have finished their opening monologue, and sometimes sleep in past 9 am. Good grief. Well, I'm retired, so don't have to find excuses anymore. :D

Return To TAT