Author Topic: Why can't I garden in the rain?  (Read 10710 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Why can't I garden in the rain?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 06:21:26 AM »
By the way, I saw on the news last week during the TTC strike that TO had their first smog advisory. Things have cleared since then, have they? I dunno how folks can breathe through that smog - the Star ran a photo of brown air in TO. Holy cow! :shock:

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 11:01:01 AM »
I can garden in the drizzle, but I don't think I can garden in this kind of rain. I'm afraid I will catch a cold, I'm such a weenie.  :(  

Can anybody out west of here tell me how things are shaping up your way so I know what to expect in the next couple days?

BabyB - I've noticed smog here in the country on very hot days in the past few years. That's when I start feeling all apocalyptic. Sometimes it has to do with forest fires, but not always.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »
Quote from: brebis noire
I can garden in the drizzle, but I don't think I can garden in this kind of rain. I'm afraid I will catch a cold, I'm such a weenie.  :(  

Can anybody out west of here tell me how things are shaping up your way so I know what to expect in the next couple days?

BabyB - I've noticed smog here in the country on very hot days in the past few years. That's when I start feeling all apocalyptic. Sometimes it has to do with forest fires, but not always.

There was a huge forest fire north of here a few years ago, we could see the smoke, but fortunately the smoke (and smog) blew north-ward.

Cold, wet weekend here. I have to wait until the first week of July to move. Sigh. I want to get started on unpacking, gardening, painting, etc...

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
Argh, it's raining again. The ground is very wet everywhere - driving to Montreal yesterday, I noticed a lot of puddles in the fields. Good thing I had a lot of manure piled into the garden this spring, so it's higher than the surrounding grass; also, I set my rows in mounds so that the veg plants would have a chance against the weeds - which also gives them a chance against flooding.

I'm up high though, top of a hill, so I'd be the last to have a flooded, soppy garden. I'm thinking this might be the case for a lot of people in Ont and Quebec so far this season.  :(

On a positive note, we're eating fresh lettuce and mesclun salads, and there's tonnes of basil, thyme, parsley and oregano.

I wonder how the strawberries are doing - normally I've gone out to a local u-pick field and picked enough for freezing. Not yet, this year.  :?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »
Very heavy rain here last night for about ten minutes - and the Canada Day bonfire went ahead. I stayed home because I knew the blackflies would be fierce (I think I'm allergic to them - they don't seem to bother the other folks here as much as they do me).  It's raining tonight (has been for the past hour) and probably will again tomorrow, making my move to the new place difficult, unless we wait for Tuesday which should be dry. Anyway, the veggie garden at the new place is doing well - I hope the former owner lets me harvest it all (he planted it all, I think he wants the harvest). Maybe we'll split the harvest. Flowers were doing well yesterday. Wish I was all moved, really want to get busy with trimming the weeds and stuff.

Return To TAT