Author Topic: Hosting issues  (Read 19493 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Hosting issues
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
My suspicion is that we're not going to get 100 people contributing. Maybe, but maybe not.

Some of us might be able to make running contributions over the year -- say, $10/mo? A smaller number of people might be more likely to make up the total that way, don't you think?

Is it possible to do it that way?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Hosting issues
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 10:59:10 AM »
ok so I spoke with Jessie at Netfirms. Very nice young woman.

She said that the issue is that we are highly database driven and have a large number of hits per day. Because with shared hosting data is spread out over various servers, it screws with our databases and slows down our site.

With the upgraded hosting we have more dedicated servers and they look out for any database issues hopefully catching problems before the become too much of an issue. Also we get 24/7 toll free support.

virtualnovascotia.ca is run off of enterprise 2. They get about 10.000 hits per day. So enterprise 1 should be fantastic for us.

If we switch immediately we get a credit of around 200 dollars. The yearly fee with tax is 762.60.  or we can pay monthly a fee of 63.55 but since I don't have a credit card it would have to be paid in advance of the month it's for. So for instance the 200 credit would last till sometime in nov, but I would have to send money in nov to cover dec.

or send in 462 to cover the next year. OR we can pay 261.32 every 4 months.

As I said it is what every other host is suggesting as well and is a much better price. We do need to start getting some ad revenue to help offset these costs.

I'll start another thread concerning that.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 02:42:48 PM »
I'm in favour of ad revenue to keep this board going, but, truthfully, I ignore most advertising myself.

Luke

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »
it only brings in funds if you click on the links not if you ignore it

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »
Okay, just to be clear, I wasn't refrring to those clickable ads that babble used. I meant the regular, constant, banner ads.

Luke

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
But do they pay much given the small number of users here?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
I have no idea - someone will have to ask, if we go that route.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Hosting issues
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 12:25:54 AM »
I recieved an email from our old host describing how they had a major server blowup and have now retooled and are much better. I told them very specifically our needs and this is what I got in return.

This can be paid monthly and costs less, and they did have fairly good support service.

There are many webhosts which offer very large (unrealistic) amounts of space and bandwidth. Some even claim to offer an unlimited amount of both. Given that storage devices do not exist which can store infinite amounts of data, and given that 1.5tb of bandwidth costs far more than $20 at even the most wholesale of levels when purchased in huge quantities. It is not uncommon for people to run into problems when they try to actually use what has been offered, although perhaps you have a perfectly legitimate and great offer.

I can offer you 100gb of bandwidth and 4gb of space for $40 a month. In the not so distant future we will be able to upgrade your space allocation further at no extra cost. Given your usage right now I imagine that should be more than adequate.

We are also capable of providing managed and dedicated hosting should your needs require it in the future.

thoughts?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 08:13:31 AM »
I'd suggest you go with whatever you feel most comfortable with, and get some advice from the techies here before making the plunge.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Hosting issues
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
:bump

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »
:panic

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Hosting issues
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 11:19:26 AM »
Me, I just don't know how to judge. I honestly don't. I was hoping that some of the more tech-savvy would come along.

At this point, I would be drawing conclusions only on the basis of the kind of business relationship I'd had with the two (?) in the past: who was more helpful/responsive/believable?

Beyond that, I just don't know.

Luke

• View Profile
Hosting issues
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 12:20:46 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
I'd suggest you go with whatever you feel most comfortable with, and get some advice from the techies here before making the plunge.

Good advice.

Paging pogge, Paging pogge, Paging pogge ...

Paging steve, Paging steve, Paging steve, ....

Yooohooo

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Hosting issues
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
Update

Decision has been made to return to old host. Nearly the same level of service as managed without the almost 800 dollar cost. Amount seems to go up every time I talk to them.  :?

Anyway Steve is currently transitioning between vacation and home but will be available to make the move on or after Sept 5.

I'm sure Steve will give us a smooth transition.

This resolves the advertising delimma as well, since costs will be fairly easy to manage we won't need ads.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Hosting issues
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 09:40:42 AM »
Yay! No advertising. I'll bump the fundraising thread before I scoot to beat skdadl to the corn.

Return To TAT