Author Topic: advertising  (Read 5914 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
advertising
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »
As I mentioned in this thread http://www.breadnroses.ca/forums/viewto ... 6445#16445 we need to start getting some ad revenue to take the pressure off of our pockets.

Does anyone have an experience with this? and want to offer some suggestions in terms of how to sell space and what to charge? or know where I could look for that sort of info?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Luke

• View Profile
advertising
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
I think it would be so much nicer to continue without ads if it's doable,  depending a little bit on how much revenue B&R could realistically hope to get.

Does anybody know how much Babble got from google? (The number of objectionable ads I noticed were quite small. Also, IIRC, Audra was able to delete ads that were out of line.)

I think $10.- per month is a bit on the high side if we want a majority to contribute. Many of us are on a very tight budget.

Did I just make your life more complicated Debra?

You know, I'm one of those blue meanies.

:D

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
advertising
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:54:53 AM »
What I'd like ideally is to have union ads, activist site ads, very specific and progressive places.

anyone know anywhere that might be interested or belong to a union or organization that might be interested?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
advertising
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »
I know just about nothing about Web advertising, and what I do know about advertising in general might well be dated. I was responsible for taking a small quarterly publication from a cultural institution from no advertising to advertising. Because it was a cultural institution (and I was young) I just called up people, told them who I was and what I was doing, and asked if I could pick their brains. I got tons of free info, which may be what it's worth.

The first question I was asked by people in the know was: 'Are you sure you want to do this?'

Selling advertising is a tough biz. It's time-consuming. We didn't have the person-power and so contracted out on a commission basis. You gotta get advertising to get advertising, if you see what I mean. So the company we used had license to discount our regular rates in order to get prestige advertisers and agencies. We didn't make any money for at least a year and a half, then not much.

You gotta have desirable audience. If you're feeling strong-stomached, go over to rabble and look at its advertising section, in particular, the description of the 'product' they're offering to advertisers. You need to do 'audience research', i.e. find out how old we are, what our income levels are, education, etc.

You gotta have a decent-sized audience.

You gotta offer some kind of proof that you've got the numbers you say you do. (This came up on another thread, and pogge, I think, had some Web-specific info.) You have to pay to get this kind of proof.

You've gotta set rates, get the info out to potential advertisers and agencies, do billing. If you have glitches, you gotta deal with pissed-off advertisers. There are deadlines. And if you don't hit them, they won't pay.

Non-profits and progressive operations probably don't have much of a budget. If you look at ads in the NDP newsletter, for example, they are mostly 'support-the-cause' sort of ads, not really selling anything.

This is a lot to take on, and I sure as hell am not stepping forward to do it.

So, I'll ask you: Are you sure you want to do this?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
advertising
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
Well yes and no.

Yes because we are going to hit pocket fatigue trying to keep the site up and running.

No because of the drawbacks you mentioned and the fact that I can't afford to hire anyone to take it on. Unless they worked themselves into a paycheque if you see what I mean.

Luke

• View Profile
advertising
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
It's time-consuming.

That was my first reaction.

I also think if the contribution is small, e.g. $15.- or $ 20.-  every three months donor fatigue might not set in.

I have absolute no experience with advertising/fundraising on the web but many years ago I raised funds for community groups and it was *extremely* time consuming.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
advertising
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:45 PM »
We can go indoors for this if you want, but tell us how much we need. When. How much do we have. When we will need more. How much more. Maybe we can pledge. By PM, each of us says what we can afford. At the same time, let's work on getting more members.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
advertising
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:59:25 PM »
I did a cost breakdown here http://www.breadnroses.ca/forums/viewto ... 6445#16445

It isn't that much really but then again it is.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: advertising
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Went into one of the sites at the page bottom. It was called: 2008 God Final Witness.

It says:
From now until the latter part of 2008, many prophecies are going to begin to be fulfilled, especially the Seven Thunders of the Book of Revelation, which the apostle John saw but was restricted from recording. Those thunders are revealed in this book, as well as detailed accounts of the final three and one-half years of man's self-rule on earth, which are recorded in the account of the Seventh Seal of Revelation.

Some of these prophecies concern the demise of the United States over the next year, which will be followed by man's final world war. This last war will be the result of clashing religions and the governments they sway. Billions will die! This time will far exceed even the very worst times in all human history.

Hummmmm   :shock:

Isn't this in some way related to the British quip of: 'Fog in the channel - Europe isolated.' (see #2)

On the CBC Ideas one time a critic noted one of the differences between Orson Welles' War of the World and the Original. In H.G. Wells book the aliens are about destroy London and it is the end of the world: in Mercury Theatre version the east coast of the US is being ravaged (NYC) and it is the end of the world. Neither can imagine the world without their specific homes

Methinks there are places in Canada that if aliens were were reported destroying Toronto they would would declare it is the beginning of the millennium.  :lol:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT