Author Topic: I now have 30 teeth. Okay, 29.5  (Read 9036 times)

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
I now have 30 teeth. Okay, 29.5
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »
So today I went and had two of my wisdom teeth pulled.  I've never had a tooth pulled before (though I believe I did recently describe the time I cracked one of my juvenile teeth in half with a popcorn kernel, and my sadistic dentist just took some pliers and crumbled the other half).

I guess I must watch too many cartoons, because I thought for sure the oral surgeon would reach into my mouth with some kind of pliers or forceps and remove a tooth.  WRONG.  Instead...

**** Warning, maybe if you don't like dentistry you don't want to read this ****
... he did some drilling, and then a whole lot of prying and cracking and breaking.  It was like he was trying to get a stubborn lid off of a can of paint.  I told Mrs. M. that I was surprised he didn't brace his knee on my chest for leverage (her reply: "if you'd gone for a general anaesthetic, he probably would have").  All crazy manner of drilling and breaking and yanking.  Certainly no "Ta-Da!" moment when he holds up the tooth for me to see.  I didn't even get a glimpse at the shards.

And the sutures?  Honestly, Mrs. Magoo is a very talented seamstress, but I doubt she could sew on a button faster than the oral surgeon had put three sutures in place.  Two teeth, plus sutures, probably took about 10 minutes, not counting waiting for the novacaine to take hold.

It was pretty okey-dokey for the first hour or so afterward, and then the freezing started to wear off a little.  It hurt.  I'll just leave it at that.  Too many people here have been through childbirth for me to do any really effective complaining anyway.  The upside though?  PERCOCET.  You go to Rush Limbaugh's dentist, you get the star treatment!  So any hurtin' has mostly been replaced by a warm, fuzzy love for everything.

The oddest thing, though, was that my wisdom teeth weren't hurting me in the least.  This was preventive, to keep my impacted lower wisdoms from doing damage to the teeth in front of them.  It was sort of hard to walk in, knowing I'm checking myself in for some pain and discomfort, when nothing was hurting.  Had I NOT gone in, I'd have probably been punished for it in about 20 years, but I'D FEEL GREAT NOW.  Well, I suppose I feel artificially great right now, but even Hollywood-grade narcotics can't fix the fact that my lower face looks like a haggis right now, and I haven't eaten yogurt this sloppily since I was 2.  Next up in Open Kitchen:  yogurt, 'nanners and other soft foods!  :)

Has anyone here had all of their teeth extracted?  I can scarcely imagine that.  And any tips for post-operative care, other than easy does it on the peanut brittle?

Ed'd to add:  Oh ya, about the half a tooth!  When I was 15 I was riding my bike along a highway, and I thought I had run over some glass.  Foolishly, I looked back at my rear tire just as I came up to a high curb at an overpass.  The bike stopped, I didn't, and as I lay on the ground for about 0.5 seconds counting my blessings that I hadn't been hurt, my bike came down and smashed my face into the concrete.  I thought I had got a bit of dirt or gravel in my mouth, but no...   :shock:  :wink:
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:52:15 AM »
Interesting; I had a local anesthetic when they pulled all four of my wisdom teeth; and the staff did seem non-plussed at having to do the job with me watching them.  But as far as I recall, they basically did use pliers; my teeth were not impacted and the dentist pulled out three quite easily; the fourth one he had to jiggle back and forth a while; as he said, it was just like loosening a fencepost.  I got Tylenol 3; but only used about three pills, because it wasn't that painful for that long; on the other hand, I don't think he put any stitches in, just gave me cotton pads to bite on; I dropped one bloody pad in the drugstore while waiting for my prescription.

ETA You reminded me of a mystery by a fairly snarky British writer; the hero policeman is captured by the bad guys, who stick a knife in his side and twist; it's painful but not serious; and when he tells his wife about it she sniffs and says "No woman who's been through childbirth would be impressed." :mrgreen:
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:55:32 AM »
Hope you recover quick, Magoo. :)

My Dad used to say that dentistry, when he was a kid, consisted of tying a string around a bad tooth, tying the other end of the string to the doorknob of an open door and then slamming said door so the tooth is pulled out by the string. That sounds only slightly less crude than what you describe.

Nearly every dentist we've ever seen has suggested my chum removes his wisdom teeth. He's resisted everyone, as they don't hurt. I've sure showing his your thread will only add to his resolve.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:11:21 AM »
I've sure showing his your thread will only add to his resolve.

Sorry 'bout that.  For what it's worth, it's apparently much easier, and the recovery quicker, when you're younger.  The sooner the better and all.  Tell your chum to just do it and don't think about it.

I hadn't been to a dentist in ages, and Mrs. M. finally succeeded in prodding me to go.  That was a few weeks ago.  When he strongly recommended the yanking, I certainly didn't care to go through with it, but I realized that if I didn't do it now, I never would, and that I couldn't really expect anyone else to step in and be the adult and make me; I had to make me.  When I set up the appointment for a consultation I asked when the surgery could be, and I was told that I could do it some time in September, or I could come in (today), do the consultation in the chair, and just get it over with.  Extra time to wait is just extra time to worry.

Oh, and also tell your chum that he may not need to have them removed.  Some people's grow in straight and never erupt, so they're in there in the jawbone, and if they aren't messing with any other teeth, they can stay where they are.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 01:15:54 AM »
He's convinced it's a "lookest" thing, because when he questioned the dentists they couldn't mention any specific problem, just that the wisdom teeth "seemed large". I'm less convinced, because I reckon that if they just wanted to do this to people, they'd want to get rid of my wisdom teeth, too, and no one's suggested I get mine out. But, it's his body, so it's ultimately up to him.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:19:49 AM »
In my case, my gums would get sore sometimes and they kept telling me the wisdom teeth could be a source of infection or something like that.  Fair enough, the gums there don't get sore anymore.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 05:26:49 AM »
Years ago I nursed a friend for almost a week through recovery from something like what you describe, Herr Magoo, so I know that it really can be serious. Man, was he sick or what. And swollen. And -- forgive me, but -- kind of stinky, since for quite a few days he couldn't even rinse.

I only had two wisdom teeth, it seems, and they both came out very easily, pop pop. One of them was growing in crooked, which I guess was the reason the dentist advised removal, but they had never bothered me. The only painful thing about the whole procedure was the li'l X-ray card that they insert beforehand -- the dental assistant stuck that in really fast and soooo far back that tears came to my eyes before I even felt the pain. My own dentist, looking at the pictures a week or so later, exclaimed in admiration that they'd been able to get that card in so far.  

I hope I'm making you feel better, Herr Magoo.   :wink:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 07:30:29 AM »
Magoo wrote: For what it's worth, it's apparently much easier, and the recovery quicker, when you're younger. The sooner the better and all. Tell your chum to just do it and don't think about it.

I had a dentist suggest I have my wisdom teeth removed in my early twenties. I did not go back to a dentist until just before I got married at 32. My new dentist hasn't mentioned hauling my wisdom teeth even once. Actually, he filled a cavity in a wisdom tooth last month.

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »
Magoo, I had the same thing you did.  Just some local freezing (ok, a lot.  my whole face was numb), then the periodontist went in there with what looked like a chisel and a mallet.  Some pounding/cracking to break the teeth up, and then a while to hunt the pieces down.  At the time, I remember thinking that it was a good thing that my eyelids were frozen and droopy, or they would have visibly registered my near-hysteria.  I'm pretty sure I left clutch marks on the arms of the chair.

Good score with the Percocet, though. :)  All I got were T-3's and ice chips.

And try to rinse as soon as and as much as you can, it will really help.  I remember rinsing a lot that first while, and it helped to prevent a too bad infection.  Well, actually, there was a bad infection because the Dr. forgot a piece of tooth and it started to rot, but we caught it right away, and they said that if I wasn't taking care of the wound, it would have been a lot worse.  :shudder:

And that's not my worst dentist/orthodontist/periodontist story.  It's a wonder I feel like slugging a fifth of rum before I set foot in a dentist's office, which I still make myself do as often as my health plan provides for.  Now all I have to do is convince Mr. Sun to go, but they keep telling him he needs some brutal and barbaric surgery that he really doesn't need.  :?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »
I had my wisdom teeth extracted by surgery in a hospital in Peterborough while I was at Trent. Completely covered by OHIP at the time (1976) although I believe afterwards it was decreed to be dental work that can be done in the dentist's office.  I went in the hospital around 9am, then dressed in a hospital gown, given a bed, and waited until around 1030 am. I was then given a needle, and completely knocked out. Then wheeled to the surgical unit and the deed was done. Woke up hours later in a semi-private room, and left the hospital under my own steam around 5 pm. This degree of care for dental work is probably unusual today. I suspect it was my Mob connections that made it possible. :spy:

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »
Hey Magoo, I guess this will put an end (thankfully, briefly) to the crunchy foods.

Let me know if you want someone to sit beside you all day munching rock candy. Or eating sloppy Italian sandwiches, while guzzling beer.

I'm your man.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 09:19:14 AM »
Tommy Shanks, you meanie. Reminds me, though. A friend had had gum surgery -- now that is something to avoid --- and I was at her place kinda keeping her company in her misery. 'The Ten Commandments' was on telly. We were watching it with the sound off and I was making up dialogue. I was on a roll that night. Friend would laugh, then go 'ow', then tell me to shut up. But would I stop? Nooo. Finally, she literally shoved me out her front door.

Hmm, why is semi-OK to torture dental victims?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 09:26:41 AM »
Which leads to another question. Why is it ok to make fun of people with missing teeth? Since dental work is so expensive, dentures even more so, missing teeth usually has alot more to do with poverty than with intelligence or political affiliation.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Re: I now have 30 teeth. Okay, 29.5
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »
Ha, that's funny, Magoo. Hope you heal quickly.

Quote from: Herr Magoo
... he did some drilling, and then a whole lot of prying and cracking and breaking.  It was like he was trying to get a stubborn lid off of a can of paint.  I told Mrs. M. that I was surprised he didn't brace his knee on my chest for leverage (her reply: "if you'd gone for a general anaesthetic, he probably would have").  All crazy manner of drilling and breaking and yanking.  Certainly no "Ta-Da!" moment when he holds up the tooth for me to see.  I didn't even get a glimpse at the shards.

Doesn't sound like there is a whole lot of talent involved in being a dentist! Just keep drilling away at the tooth till it's all chipped away.

It hurt.  I'll just leave it at that.  Too many people here have been through childbirth for me to do any really effective complaining anyway.

Ha ha. If comparing your pain to a worse pain helps you feel better, that's good... I guess. I've heard tales from some women who had rather easy, almost painless childbirths without any medication.

The oddest thing, though, was that my wisdom teeth weren't hurting me in the least.  This was preventive, to keep my impacted lower wisdoms from doing damage to the teeth in front of them.  It was sort of hard to walk in, knowing I'm checking myself in for some pain and discomfort, when nothing was hurting.

That's very brave of you, Magoo. Yikes! I know I couldn't have done it. Thank goodness I don't even have my wisdom teeth yet. Hopefully, I will never get them.

about 0.5 seconds counting my blessings that I hadn't been hurt, my bike came down and smashed my face into the concrete.  I thought I had got a bit of dirt or gravel in my mouth, but no...   :shock:  :wink:

Ouch. I had a similar accident at 17, flying off my bike and all. Except I crashed into the profile of the front wheel of a motorbike that came speeding around the corner. Nowhere near as horrid as your accident though, Magoo. The bike didn't land on me, and fortunately, I landed on my skull - I have a very hard skull. I was able to pick myself up and be on my way. I had another motorbike accident when I was sitting on the back with a very inexperienced driver. Landed on my skull which made a huge thud/slam noise on the concrete in a place where there were a lot of scientists milling around. All of them came rushing to me to rub my head to prevent a concussion. But I was fine. At least I think I am!

I went to see my dentist two years ago, and he thought I should have gum surgery - my gums are receding cause I brush my teeth too hard. Fortunately, I couldn't do it right away because I was much poorer at the time, and I haven't been back since.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 10:54:27 AM »
I went under a general when mine came out.  Apparently I had 5 (mutant! mutant!).  Recently a dentist has informed me that I have 1 more (mutant!  mutant!  fear the mutant!)  

The part I remember most was the frozen tongue afterwards.  My dad was asking me questions, and I was on the brink of tears with frustration trying to answer them.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Return To TAT